Speculation Wes Morgan lined up for executive role at Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skitzo

mentioned this in the talking about us thread but found the full article

Wes Morgan is being lined up by Leicester City to take on an executive role when he hangs up his boots at the end of the season. The expected move by the Premier League club would be a significant step for English professional football in terms of giving real opportunities to black former players to fill leadership and coaching positions.

Morgan, the Leicester captain, turns 37 in January and has made no secret of his ambitions to forge a new pathway in the administrative side of the game. It is understood that those who run the club have been hugely impressed by his influence in the dressing room, his position as a role model in the game and his notable intelligence. They believe that he would be an asset as a club executive.

Morgan, who has a certificate in football business management from the Sports Business Institute Barcelona, has played a leading role in advising on the FA’s new Football Leadership Diversity Code, which was launched this week.
Morgan, 36, has a certificate in football business management

In June, Morgan told The Times that he wanted to become involved in club administration, but added: “At the same time, I don’t want to be a tick in a box. I want to earn that position, be the right man for the job. Not because I’m black, but because I can do a great job, help a team to be successful. And I’m qualified.”

Claudio Ranieri, the Italian manager under whom Morgan won the Premier League title in 2015-16, said of his captain: “When Wes speaks, everybody listens.”

mentioned this in the talking about us thread but found the full article

Wes Morgan is being lined up by Leicester City to take on an executive role when he hangs up his boots at the end of the season. The expected move by the Premier League club would be a significant step for English professional football in terms of giving real opportunities to black former players to fill leadership and coaching positions.

Morgan, the Leicester captain, turns 37 in January and has made no secret of his ambitions to forge a new pathway in the administrative side of the game. It is understood that those who run the club have been hugely impressed by his influence in the dressing room, his position as a role model in the game and his notable intelligence. They believe that he would be an asset as a club executive.

Morgan, who has a certificate in football business management from the Sports Business Institute Barcelona, has played a leading role in advising on the FA’s new Football Leadership Diversity Code, which was launched this week.
Morgan, 36, has a certificate in football business management

In June, Morgan told The Times that he wanted to become involved in club administration, but added: “At the same time, I don’t want to be a tick in a box. I want to earn that position, be the right man for the job. Not because I’m black, but because I can do a great job, help a team to be successful. And I’m qualified.”

Claudio Ranieri, the Italian manager under whom Morgan won the Premier League title in 2015-16, said of his captain: “When Wes speaks, everybody listens.”

"his notable intelligence"

Probably the most racist, condescending, patronising thing I've read for a very long time.

So most black people are not intelligent, especially football players?

The person who wrote that article should be dismissed.

Probably the most racist, condescending, patronising thing I've read for a very long time.

footballers in general are hardly noted for their intellegence you're reaching a lot there

I don’t quite get it. Aren’t you allowed to call a black footballer intelligent? What about white ones?

Footballers, generally, are thick as ****ing pigshit and can’t string two sentences together back to back

So to find one who isn’t, is actually quite ‘notable’

Quite what that has to do with being racist is beyond me, but maybe I’m not woke enough

the player mocked most for being dumb is that notable black footballer Wayne Rooney after all, obviously racism saying that in the article

I did pick up on something in the interviews that Wes did following the match on Thursday.

One thing I've always found with him is that he has been hopeless at speaking to the media. He says 'you know' every few words and really seems uneasy in those situations. People have often spoken about his influence and ability to communicate, but, as fans, we'd never seen it. We have been told that he was the key voice (along with Deeney) in the player conversations about 'taking the knee' and the BLM movement in PL football last season. I've always wondered about the difference between the 'public' Morgan and the 'private' one.

On Thursday, he spoke so much better than I'd ever seen him. If was as if he was himself at last. You often see it with Vardy in interviews - he just says a few soundbites to get off the screen as soon as possible but you know that there is an altogether different thing going on in his head and that he is capable of saying completely different things.

Like the others Volpone - not seeing the racism there. Something else going on?

Morgan is one of the worst players at post match interviews that I have ever seen in my life. Utterly abysmal.

It must be a bit jekyll and Hyde as there is not much motivation going on there.

Why shouldn't Wes be intelligent? It implies that most black people aren't. That's how I view it.
I don't see why you see the article and think it's a slight on black people. I read it as he's articulate and an intelligent guy. I think it's fair to assume that most people don't consider footballes to be intelligent but I can't see any negativity to suggest the racism.
Wes says something along the lines of not just being token but otherwise I don't see it ‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757