Speculation Wes Morgan lined up for executive role at Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why you see the article and think it's a slight on black people. I read it as he's articulate and an intelligent guy. I think it's fair to assume that most people don't consider footballes to be intelligent but I can't see any negativity to suggest the racism.
Wes says something along the lines of not just being token but otherwise I don't see it ‍♂️
The phrase his notable intelligence is frankly insulting in my opinion.

Why shouldn't Wes be intelligent? It implies that most black people aren't. That's how I view it.
It implies that most footballers aren’t. That is how I see it. Had it said, “his intelligence, which is notable for a black person”, that I would see as racist.

For me, it depends on what the journalist meant by "notable". In what context? Against which cohort?

Footballers? (which was, in honesty, my first thought given that I share that same insulting stereotype that footballers don't tend to be articulate when there are those that are)

Black footballers/men? Possible of course but perhaps unlikely because if the journo did think that, even subconsciously, then they're probably not likely to commit it to print.

The Leicester squad? People in red shirts? Wtf knows? Only the journo really.

It's a minefield and best not to 2nd guess intentions (imho) whilst at the same time staying alive to the possibilities.

Last edited:
Why shouldn't Wes be intelligent? It implies that most black people aren't. That's how I view it.
And as judge and jury you'd have sacked the author, because in your view, (but not the views of every other poster on this forum since) the bloke is a BNP card carrying racist who thinks black players are thick*.

*at least, that's how I read it. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And on the topic of Wes - what a great leader and captain. It's no surprise that he's being lined up for an executive position because when you hear people talk about him, it's clear he commands the respect of the players, managers and executives.

I think It's interesting that when Claudio was sacked, and to a degree Puel, the media made a big deal of it being a player revolt. I didn't see it like that - I felt it was more that the club executive level trusted and listened to the squad (presumably led by Wes) and took their opinions on board because they had proven time and time again to be responsible and intelligent in past dealings. I think it might also be said for the decision not to sack Pearson in the great escape season.

And on the topic of Wes - what a great leader and captain. It's no surprise that he's being lined up for an executive position because when you hear people talk about him, it's clear he commands the respect of the players, managers and executives.

I think It's interesting that when Claudio was sacked, and to a degree Puel, the media made a big deal of it being a player revolt. I didn't see it like that - I felt it was more that the club executive level trusted and listened to the squad (presumably led by Wes) and took their opinions on board because they had proven time and time again to be responsible and intelligent in past dealings. I think it might also be said for the decision not to sack Pearson in the great escape season.
Nicely said - whilst everyone else was screaming "Snakes, SNAKES" I was not.
In what other industry would you give one person power and not sack them if the entire workforce were saying it was impossible to work with them?

I think that the comment was sizeist. Big blokes aren't intelligent are they?

There's no way that speaking of Wes's "notable intelligence" is at all linked to race.

I don't think even it's a slur at footballers intelligence. They've not said his "surprising intelligence" or "his above-average for his profession intelligence".

"Notable intelligence" just means that he's intelligent... and that it's been noted as an asset. It's even qualified in the next sentence by his certificate in business management.

I'm all for highlighting unconscious bias and systemic racism when it's there, but you have to be really looking for it and making some big assumptions to find a race problem in this.

Let's not tarnish what should be good news by bringing race into it.

There's no way that speaking of Wes's "notable intelligence" is at all linked to race.

I don't think even it's a slur at footballers intelligence. They've not said his "surprising intelligence" or "his above-average for his profession intelligence".

"Notable intelligence" just means that he's intelligent... and that it's been noted as an asset. It's even qualified in the next sentence by his certificate in business management.

I'm all for highlighting unconscious bias and systemic racism when it's there, but you have to be really looking for it and making some big assumptions to find a race problem in this.

Let's not tarnish what should be good news by bringing race into it.
I didn’t think it was the least bit insulting, I’ve been reading these comments wondering what I missed.

I must admit I didn’t pick up on that as an issue, but I have to say I’m not a huge fan of the article in general.

When I read the headline I didn’t even think of Wes Morgan’s skin colour, never mind question whether or not it was a tick in a box. But then boom second sentence mentions about the significant step to give former black players opportunities in these positions. And then they used a quote from Wes saying he doesn’t want to be just a tick in a box.

I must admit I didn’t pick up on that as an issue, but I have to say I’m not a huge fan of the article in general.

When I read the headline I didn’t even think of Wes Morgan’s skin colour, never mind question whether or not it was a tick in a box. But then boom second sentence mentions about the significant step to give former black players opportunities in these positions. And then they used a quote from Wes saying he doesn’t want to be just a tick in a box.
like it or not, and I don't personally (skin colour shouldn't make a difference), a high profile black former player being given/groomed for a position of power is news is football, it won't be why LCFC are doing it that will be down to Wes and the qualities they think he has, but it is rare enough that its legitimate news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757