Wes Morgan to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City’s Premier League-winning captain Wes Morgan will retire at the end of season after nine hugely successful years at the Club and a career spanning over 750 professional games.

Wes, 37, has worn the captain’s armband with distinction throughout the greatest era in the Football Club’s history, having lifted the Championship title, the Premier League and the FA Cup since his arrival in 2012.

His name is written firmly into the history books at Leicester City and he will have the opportunity to continue his association with the Club into the future – adding his invaluable experience to the Club’s operations while shaping his own future pathway in the game. Wes will combine his work with the Club with his role as a member of the PFA Players’ Board, to which he was elected earlier this year.

Morgan’s glittering Leicester career has seen him make 324 appearances and score 14 goals in all competitions since joining from Nottingham Forest in January 2012 and his achievements as the leader of a team that shocked the football world by achieving the impossible will go down in history.

In a career that has spanned the top four divisions of the English football pyramid and well over 750 appearances, the experienced defender’s achievements have also seen him recognised in the Football League’s Team of the Decade, the Championship Team of the Year three times, as well as the PFA Team of the Year in 2015/16.

Leicester City chairman Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha said: “Wes has been one of Leicester City’s greatest servants, leading the team through the Club’s most successful era and helping to set the standards that have pushed the Club forward.

“A big brother to everyone he has played with, a strong representative of the squad and a valuable source of counsel to managers and senior executives in the Club, his contribution has been enormous.

“Wes has shown throughout his Leicester City career that he has a great deal to offer away from the pitch. I’m excited to see how we can help him shape his career after football and how the Club can continue to benefit from his experience, knowledge and passion for the game.”

Having joined the Club in 2012 from Nottingham Forest, for whom he featured 402 times, Morgan made an immediate impact and was rewarded with the Leicester City captaincy ahead of the 2012/13 campaign.

During his second full season at the Club in 2013/14, he featured in all but one of City’s league fixtures, leading the team to the Championship title and promotion to the Premier League after a 10-year absence.

Just two years later, he would write his name in Leicester City history books once again, captaining the Foxes to the Premier League title, against 5000-1 odds, for the first time in the Club’s history. He played every minute for City that campaign, scoring a crucial header in the 1-1 draw at Old Trafford that led to the Foxes being crowned Premier League champions the next day.

That same year, Morgan was included in the PFA Team of the Year, alongside teammates Jamie Vardy, N’Golo Kanté and Riyad Mahrez.

During the 2016/17 campaign, Morgan featured for the Foxes 40 times in all competitions, captaining them to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League. He scored the opener against Sevilla in the Round of 16, which saw City go on to win 3-2 on aggregate to set up a quarter-final tie against Atletico Madrid.

In recent seasons, Morgan has put in consistently strong and reliable performances when called upon and has played an equally important role off the field, helping to nurture the younger players at the Club, assisting them with their development.

With Leicester City, Morgan has built a legacy that sets him apart as one of the Club’s greatest-ever players and captains. Widely respected by staff, players and supporters alike, Morgan’s leadership has been one of the key factors in Leicester City’s success during his spell with the Club.

His incredible Leicester City journey was crowned with an appearance in May’s FA Cup Final victory over Chelsea earlier this month – a fitting finale to a Leicester City career like no other.

On behalf of everyone at Leicester City, we would like to thank Wes for his immeasurable contribution to date and wish him the very best as he begins the next stage of his career with us.

What else is there left to say?

An inspirational leader and and incredible servant of the club. We are indebted and I think we are lucky to have his continued influence.

So the club have offered for him to stay on but nothing is confirmed yet? I hope he can stay with us for at least a while.

Not bad for a clodhopper oaf, or whatever he was called when we signed him.

One absolute hell of a signing.

Legend.

Wes ****ing Morgan

The most unlikely club legend that there could ever be. Came from the tin pot rabble down the road and ended up winning the Premier League and FA Cup.

It's sad to see the end of a few of the players heavily involved in that amazing season.

Thanks Wes

"A dreadful clodhopping oaf of a player

If we sign him it's time to pack the whole thing in altogether
"

Or something like that. Another great thread for the ages:

Who in their right mind would have expected this bloke to captain us to the Premier League title and the FA Cup when we signed him? You’d have been locked up in a strait jacket.

God I love him. Dusty in here.

Might have to crack open my special “Wes” edition of Captain Morgan’s tonight.

Never felt like he did enough attacking corners, although I think I remember him shouldering in a cross against Southampton once....

Seriously, what a captain. Brave, tough and inspirational. Probably deaf in one ear from all those years in front of Kasper.

Him and Huth were like fort knox. His goals against Southampton, Man United and Sevilla were absolutely incredible and some of the most important ever scored for the club. I'd like to call him the most legendary Leicester captain ever but I'm holding out hope that Schmeichel will lift the treble for us some day.

"A dreadful clodhopping oaf of a player

If we sign him it's time to pack the whole thing in altogether
"

Or something like that. Another great thread for the ages:
homer homer in particular “if we sign him we’re finished”

blimey. None of us know anything !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288