Confirmed Transfer Wesley Fofana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I an normally quite a negative person but this lad is top notch. Aggressive, quick, good in the air, can pick a pass. Where is the weakness?

I an normally quite a negative person but this lad is top notch. Aggressive, quick, good in the air, can pick a pass. Where is the weakness?

I think he looks a great prospect. But I cannot see how he and Soyuncu play together. One of them would have to change their style significantly in order to make it work otherwise we'd have two aggressive, roaming central defenders and that's suicidal.

Either with Evans or Morgan makes perfect sense. With Soyuncu having not signed a new contract with us, If this continues until next summer, it might well be necessary to sell him as he'll be within two years of his contract ending.

That's the only negative I've found watching Fofana. I think he's a replacement for Soyuncu.

I think he looks a great prospect. But I cannot see how he and Soyuncu play together. One of them would have to change their style significantly in order to make it work otherwise we'd have two aggressive, roaming central defenders and that's suicidal.

Either with Evans or Morgan makes perfect sense. With Soyuncu having not signed a new contract with us, If this continues until next summer, it might well be necessary to sell him as he'll be within two years of his contract ending.

That's the only negative I've found watching Fofana. I think he's a replacement for Soyuncu.

You forget Rodgers fascination with 3 at the back. I'm convinced he wants to play all 3 when he can.

You forget Rodgers fascination with 3 at the back. I'm convinced he wants to play all 3 when he can.

I think all 3 will be his way forward - and I think that having the right centre backs has been our biggest problem in trying to that.

A fully fit team of:

Kasper
Ricardo, Fofana, Evans, Soyuncu, Castagne
Ndidi, Tielemans
Maddison, Barnes
Vardy

Looks very good to me

I agree with BN otherwise though - Fofana and Soyuncu both look very similar otherwise to play in a two. Both are comfortable on the ball and might try to bring/pass it forward which is fine as long as they're disciplined. But they both like to attack the ball in defence, coming forward to greet it. That has to be balanced against a player who will drop more.

I like the look of Fofana a lot, but his positioning will need to improve and he'll need to pick his moments to attack the ball better - yesterday there were a couple of times where he was further up the field than our defence and centre mids in trying to win the ball back.

Looks like a great prospect though for sure.

For me you can't leave Praet out of the side. Top player.

For me you can't leave Praet out of the side. Top player.

I think he's fantastic too, but I'm not sure how he gets in to our full strength 11. It's sort of academic anyway, because I doubt we will have a fully fit squad to pick from all season.

He's been great so far and to think the majority of the forum would rather have spent the same money on Tarkowski baffles me. One extra positive is he's a ****in nice target for our offensive corners now. We've not had real threat in the air for a long time so that was so refreshing to see.

Re. Praet, I think he should be in the 11. We don't need 5 at the back IMO particularly as we always play at least one holding midfielder. Going by the line up above I'd have Praet in place of Evans in the team, maybe even Mendy over Ndidi as well for the extra energy he brings although that's a tougher call.

He's been great so far and to think the majority of the forum would rather have spent the same money on Tarkowski baffles me. One extra positive is he's a ****in nice target for our offensive corners now. We've not had real threat in the air for a long time so that was so refreshing to see.

Re. Praet, I think he should be in the 11. We don't need 5 at the back IMO particularly as we always play at least one holding midfielder. Going by the line up above I'd have Praet in place of Evans in the team, maybe even Mendy over Ndidi as well for the extra energy he brings although that's a tougher call.
The fact that Fofana has been very good so far does not mean that others were wrong to think Tarkowski would have been a good, equally good, or even better signing. The quality of one signing has no bearing on the potential quality of another signing.

The fact that Fofana has been very good so far does not mean that others were wrong to think Tarkowski would have been a good, equally good, or even better signing. The quality of one signing has no bearing on the potential quality of another signing.

Prove it

BR said in the press conference today that it was pretty much entirely down to Lee Congerton.
I think it’s safe to say that Mr Congerton is doing a fantastic job here. Some humble pie being eaten from some on here. Yet again.

Yep i think it's fair to say that if what we know about signings, mendy and tactics that win big football matches were dynamite - this forum couldn't blow up a matchbox.
Castagne, Fofana and Under all look superior quality additions, whilst nearly all of the dead wood has been banished from the squad.
Mendy is a player reborn and absolutely perfect for the way that we need to be playing at present.
Also - with a massive injury crisis we are in the Top 4 after 6 games. If we are still there in 3 or 4 games that is a quarter of the season in and we will start to see the cavalry of Ndidi, Pereira and Soyuncu (plus a striker in the January transfer window) emerge over the hill....

Yep i think it's fair to say that if what we know about signings, mendy and tactics that win big football matches were dynamite - this forum couldn't blow up a matchbox.
Castagne, Fofana and Under all look superior quality additions, whilst nearly all of the dead wood has been banished from the squad.
Mendy is a player reborn and absolutely perfect for the way that we need to be playing at present.
Also - with a massive injury crisis we are in the Top 4 after 6 games. If we are still there in 3 or 4 games that is a quarter of the season in and we will start to see the cavalry of Ndidi, Pereira and Soyuncu (plus a striker in the January transfer window) emerge over the hill....
It's very easy to run away with that post isn't it - jump to all sorts of conclusions.

That said... it certainly does look positive.

There has been a lot of negativity on here (I agree with a lot of it to be honest) about current players and stuff (It's the end of the good times etc, and there are 'issues' we don't know about) BUT there is really something good still happening.

January I reckon... and by July he will be trolling us on social media for a move :icon lol:

Only watched him three times. If we were offered a straight swap right now, of Fofana for Maguire, would you take it?

I wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265