What Are You Listening To Now?

Wow.
Full respect Jeff.

I can't find your post, my 'Page 68' is from March 2006 and is populated by Highland Fox, Yorkshire Vixen, and good old Alex.

There were so many british jangle bands in the late '80s (every one of them inspired by The Smiths....) that no-one generally knows about. Subway Records is a great place (Martin Whithead - Flatmates, top man ('One thirty to Martin Whitehead but it never came' - Spot the song!)).

I can't find your post, my 'Page 68' is from March 2006

Odd, the link should take you straight to my post. It's from October 2006, post number 2704 in the thread.

I expect you've already got the album it's from. If not you should get it...

Here's the post:

CD86 New compilation of eighties indie - £7.99 well spent!

Disc: 1
1. Velocity Girl - Primal Scream
2. Sun A Small Star - Servants
3. Around And Around - Hurrah
4. Why Does The Rain - Loft
5. Vibrato - East Village
6. Pristine Christine - Sea Urchins
7. What Went Wrong This Time - Siddeleys
8. Anorak City - Another Sunny Day
9. Get Out Of My Dream - Clouds (1)
10. Golden Shower - Boy Hairdressers
11. Ask Johnny Dee - Chesterfields (2)
12. He Blows In - Raw Herbs
13. Beat Girl - Wishing Stones
14. You Didn't Love Me Then - Hit Parade
15. Like Frankie Lymon - Weather Prophets
16. Sunday To Saturday - June Brides
17. I Had An Excellent Dream - Dentists
18. Everybodys Knows The Monkey - Mighty Mighty
19. E102 - BMX Bandits
20. Talulah Gosh - Talulah Gosh
21. Cut Me Deep - Jasmine Minks
22. I'll Still Be There - Razorcuts
23. Bodines - Therese
24. Paradise Estate - Television Personalities

Disc: 2
1. Upside Down - Jesus & Mary Chain
2. Really Stupid - Primitives (1)
3. It Always Rains On Sunday - Groove Farm
4. Black Country Chainsaw Massacre - Pop Will Eat Itself
5. Come Get Me - 14 Iced Bears
6. Sign On The Line - Fizzbombs
7. Anti Midas Touch - Wolfhounds (1)
8. This Boy Can Wait - Wedding Present
9. Bible Of The Beats - Age Of Chance
10. Safety Net - Shop Assistants
11. Just Too Bloody Stupid - Close Lobsters
12. Dukla Prague Away Kit - Half Man Half Biscuit
13. Don't Slip Up - Meat Whiplash
14. I Could Be In Heaven - Flatmates
15. If I Said - Darling Buds
16. Poised Over The Pause Button - This Poison
17. Jack And Julian - Bachelor Pad
18. On Tape - Pooh Sticks
19. Flowers Are In The Sky - Revolving Paint Dream
20. Whole Wide World - Soup Dragons
21. Frans Hals - McCarthy (1)
22. Like An Angel - Mighty Lemon Drops
23. Why Popstars Can't Dance - Big Flame
24. Baby Honey - Pastels (1)

Odd, the link should take you straight to my post. It's from October 2006, post number 2704 in the thread.

I expect you've already got the album it's from. If not you should get it...

Here's the post:

Thanks Jeff.

Truly wonderful stuff. I got the original C86 LP when it came out and do have a massive ammount of the stuff on the CD86.
The bands on there are part of my life in a very big way. Great to see faves like The Clouds and The Boy Hairdressers next to each other, both have a young Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub in them if I remember correctly.

Thank you again.

Thanks Jeff.

Truly wonderful stuff. I got the original C86 LP when it came out and do have a massive ammount of the stuff on the CD86.
The bands on there are part of my life in a very big way. Great to see faves like The Clouds and The Boy Hairdressers next to each other, both have a young Norman Blake from Teenage Fanclub in them if I remember correctly.

Thank you again.
I’m (not in a funny way) a few years younger than you, and yet there are a fair few bands on there that were massively part of my youth. Primal Scream, Jesus & Mary Chain, Soup Dragons, PWEI, for example. Happy times.

Got back from my last snowboard trip of the season and sorting all the shit out. Just put some late 80s Deacon Blue on your help me along and feel like I’m on top of the world :038:

Oh I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away if I had possession over Pancake Day.

Lets have a listen to some soft 70's white lads playing soul-influenced pop music. This is the Modern world.

Anyway.
Something different I'm listening to lately. All of a sudden I've become old. Old and listening to Very American music (generaly as I listen to WFMU.org).

None of you will like this soft old music but I do (don't worry, not all is 'soft').

Out May/June 2020.
Country Westerns - Gentle Soul:

(wfmu.org is THE best radio station - shame that we cannot have this kind of format in the UK).

I've just got a new turntable, so I can play records for the first time in years. An Audio-Technica AT-LP120XUSB. Very happy with it. It's a copy of the Technics SL-1200 I wanted in the eighties but could never afford.

I've got records I've not listened to for 30+ years, so I'm working my way through the ones I've not got on CD/MP3.

I'm currently listening to The History of Sparks, an LP released in 1981. I believe it wasn't released in the UK and was only available on import.
It's still got its Revolver £7.99 sticker on. That's probably the most I've ever paid for a record.

Two of the records I was looking forward to playing now I have something to play them on were Kraftwerk's Autobahn, and Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. But I can't find them.

About 15 years ago when I needed to downsize I had a cull of records. Got rid of hundreds.
I think at the time my aim was to keep "collecatble" items, and things I didn't think would be released in digital format, so it may have seemed sensible to get rid of them at the time.

Now listening to Shabini by the Bhundu Boys. Released in 1986 on Discafrique records.

What’s ‘records’? How much does a monthly subscription cost?

Like you Jeff i recently bought a turntable, amp and speakers to resurrect my vinyl. Tonight I've been playing Esther Phillips Kudu album Esther Phillips which includes Home is where the hatred is among many others, and Collins and Collins with Top of the stairs and You know how to make me feel so good etc. To those who don't know, there is nothing, and I mean nothing like that hit you get when the needle drops on a tune that takes you to your youth. Bliss.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester3883
2Leeds Utd3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854