What Are You Listening To Now?

Today is 25th September.

On this day 35 years ago (at this actual time) I was watching Hüsker Dü playing live. A really good gig and the only time I ever saw them live.

In recognition of this event, Bob Mould has released a new LP today. In recognition of Leicester City, It’s called ‘Blue Hearts’.
Here is a track from it.

Top songs of 2020?F3203753-9913-4FFF-AA95-0C833F492926.png

My list for tracks released in 2020:

Not in any order but including

Lithics - Hands
The Country Westerns - Gentle Soul
Tommy And The Commies - Hurtin' 4 Certain
Nada Surf - Live Learn And Forget
The Chats - AC/DC CD
Matthew Halsall - Salute To The Sun

Some good old throwaway punk, some middle-aged bloke Radio2 music. Something for everyone.

The thing is, everyone I know in life dislikes everyone of these music peices (except I know one person that likes Matthew Halsall). I need to find better acquaintances.

Lockdown has completely thrown my end of year list. It's all ambient composers like Brian Eno and Harold Budd who I've been using to attempt to keep calm while I worked with the kids at home. Great stuff but not normally what I listen to in any large amount

I grew up not liking soul music. Motown Junk.

I wanted music with energy.

Anyway, some say that Barrence Whitfield is a soul man and I wouldn't argue - he does soul and R&B.
And his music can have a lot of energy.

Wow.

Most of his band (The Savages) were in a band called The Lyres. I remember them doing 'Don't Give It Up Now', a great great garage-band track years ago.

Barrence Whitfield And The Savages 'Soul Flowers Of Titan' - A wonderful LP.

I don't mind that modern music piece above but my issue is that, to me, they are desperately trying to sound like others artists because that is far far more important than sounding individual. Not that that has ever happened in the last 60 years of popular music…..

Anyhow, if just dug out my old bass for the first time in ages and threw on some tracks to play along to.
I wanted to keep it varied to start with so, so far tonight, I’ve been listening to/playing with:

Mike/Sally Oldfield – Moonlight Shadow (Easy, great comfortable piece)

Pentangle – Light Flight (Wonderful, more challenging – would NOT go down with the kids today)

Country Westerns – Gentle Soul (Easy, comfortable and current-ish)

And a track I once thought as ‘the best pop record ever’.

The Plimsouls – Million Miles Away. The Plimsouls were led by Peter Case (Who? Oh the bloke who wrote ‘Hanging On The Telephone’ that song Blondie covered).

Anyway, here’s the sound of early ‘80s US College Rock. A brilliant pop tune.

Sod it. Just listend to The Wedding Present doing (come up and see me) Make Me Smile. Now that IS the best pop tune (original and cover).

I have also drank some beer tonight. Thank you.

I was in love with The Wedding Present.
Ahhhh. Those were the days.

Any fans of Silver Jews or Pavement on here? Two of my favourite bands. David Berman started a new band called Purple Mountains and their debut album is ****ing magnificent.

(Stephen Malkmus from Pavement was the guitarist on SJ’s best album)

Any fans of Silver Jews or Pavement on here? Two of my favourite bands. David Berman started a new band called Purple Mountains and their debut album is ****ing magnificent.

(Stephen Malkmus from Pavement was the guitarist on SJ’s best album)
Indeed.
Pavement were an intriguing band and although I didn’t follow them closely, I was always listening to what they were doing.

I got into Preston School of Industry and Spiral Stairs more than Stephen Malkmus tho.

Indeed.
Pavement were an intriguing band and although I didn’t follow them closely, I was always listening to what they were doing.

I got into Preston School of Industry and Spiral Stairs more than Stephen Malkmus tho.
I’ve given some Preston School of Industry a listen. Me likey, thank you!

O Orifice The band that Berman collaborated with for Purple Mountain are called Woods and they’re definitely worth checking out if you’re into that kind of thing :thumbs up:

O Orifice The band that Berman collaborated with for Purple Mountain are called Woods and they’re definitely worth checking out if you’re into that kind of thing :thumbs up:
Thank you.

I have some research to do.
Cheers.

Do you listen to Jacques Le Coque or The Electric Mess at all?

I find Pavement a bit hit-and-miss. I really like some of their stuff but I can also quickly find it a little, um, contrived and maybe over worked. That's to say, it can get on my tits! Yet I do have at least 2 of their albums so I obviously liked them enough to make the same mistake again.

Edit: Easy Life - undecided. Interested enough to follow up on though. Lyrically, I hear tones of early Arctic Monkeys.

Last edited:

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756