What Are You Listening To Now?

Jaz Coleman (Killing Joke) is a fascinating bloke. It's worth a bit of time reading about him.

I personally preferred Bauhaus but then I was a bit of a poser back then so it suited my image.
Have you seen The Death & Resurrection Show? If not I think it's still on Amazon Prime.

Plenty of recollections & weird magic stuff. An entertaining couple of hours. Much longer & weirder than most music documentaries.

I'm into live stuff from before my time (90s kid). These are two of my recent favs.

Both so relaxing. I'm still in Argentina so a red wine/whiskey and a cigar with some dimmed lighting until i can see some live music!

Last week I heard on the radio, a track from the solo LP from JJ Burnel (you know, Stranglers bass player chap).
The track that was played was 'Pretty Face' and it was not what I expected. I've never heard anything from the LP before and I was expecting something difficult and odd. Prety Face is almost Pub Rock and it sounds like Lew Lewis (RIP) on harp.

Anyhow, I located the LP on internet and gave it a listen. It's difficult and odd. Produced by Martin Rushent!

Here's the opening track 'Euroman'. It's not for everyone but it is from 1979 (no suprise there).

So then, tonight for some reason I thought I'd try to work out how to play 'Incendiary Device' by Johnny Moped. A song i first heard many many years ago and thought it was stunning even for a 1st gen punk record. Anyhow, after 15mins faffing about, I got it sorted.
I then went interweb to see other Johnny Moped stuff (trying to find anything with Captain Sensible, without luck). But he/they are very aged and not rich old punks still doing real guitar rackets and making a few quid if lucky. Charlie Harper was about 78 years old reacently - still being Charlie Harper.

So, here's some Johnny Moped from 2019.

BTW, Captain Sensibles current band 'Sensibles Grey Cells' are woth a listen if you like this kind of rubbish.

Also, BTW, yes - I have had a drink ot two, Thank you.

So then, tonight for some reason I thought I'd try to work out how to play 'Incendiary Device' by Johnny Moped. A song i first heard many many years ago and thought it was stunning even for a 1st gen punk record. Anyhow, after 15mins faffing about, I got it sorted.
I then went interweb to see other Johnny Moped stuff (trying to find anything with Captain Sensible, without luck). But he/they are very aged and not rich old punks still doing real guitar rackets and making a few quid if lucky. Charlie Harper was about 78 years old reacently - still being Charlie Harper.

So, here's some Johnny Moped from 2019.

BTW, Captain Sensibles current band 'Sensibles Grey Cells' are woth a listen if you like this kind of rubbish.

Also, BTW, yes - I have had a drink ot two, Thank you.

Christ. I'm having a drink now as well. Suddenly I'm 14 again.

" You hadn't really arrived as a Punk band until you'd been supported by Johnny Moped & the ****s had robbed your beer while you were on stage " - Wayne Barrett

Ah, Wayne Barrett and that Rossi chap. When I was very young and came back to Leicester, I remember seeing grafitti saying something about The Leicester Boot Boys. Few years later Slaughter & The Dogs released 'Where Have All The BootBoys Gone?' and I put 2 and 2 together and got 37.

Talking of Manchester, I've just been listening to that Manchester band, lead by two brothers that were always fighting. Fighting each other, other band members, and particularly journalists. They were difficult but entertaining.

Yes:- Easterhouse.
They were going to be The Biggest Thing - A lot of hype and rather political. I saw them at an early gig once (gig crowd filled with names) and they had 'issues' and ended early. Seems that was regular. But, they did release an LP in 1986 that had some good stuff on it. Here's the first track from it.

Ah, Wayne Barrett and that Rossi chap. When I was very young and came back to Leicester, I remember seeing grafitti saying something about The Leicester Boot Boys. Few years later Slaughter & The Dogs released 'Where Have All The BootBoys Gone?' and I put 2 and 2 together and got 37.

Talking of Manchester, I've just been listening to that Manchester band, lead by two brothers that were always fighting. Fighting each other, other band members, and particularly journalists. They were difficult but entertaining.

Yes:- Easterhouse.
They were going to be The Biggest Thing - A lot of hype and rather political. I saw them at an early gig once (gig crowd filled with names) and they had 'issues' and ended early. Seems that was regular. But, they did release an LP in 1986 that had some good stuff on it. Here's the first track from it.

Bloody hell.

I saw them that year (86) at some ridiculously hip festival thing in Manchester. Happy Mondays on the same bill. It was organised by Factory & Tony Wilson so was, as you'd expect, totally overblown & probably lost a fortune. Went on all week as I remember with gigs, exhibitions, poetry readings, film shows etc at various venues. A right mess. I only went to 2 days I think.

Highlight of the week was an even more pissed than usual Mark E Smith threatening to punch Morrissey's lights out & shaping to actually do it before being wrestled to the ground by various band members & carried out the door yelling "you're ****ing sacked you wankers"

If the fight had actually been allowed to happen I have to say it would have been the highlight of the whole week. Possibly of the entire 1980s.

Good to see that Cardiacs finally are available at streaming services since their physically albums are really hard to find.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys & Girls

We are now celebrating the SIXTEENTH birthday of The What-Are-You-Listening-To-Now thread!!!!

Yes, it's True! Way back on 9th October 2005, this thread was born.
Conceived by Scarby (it seems) to let the TalkingBalls viewers know what music people were listening to at a particular point in time, it has gone on (and on) for more than 16,000 posts!!! AMAZING!!

Things were so different back then. Leicester City FC were battling in the Football Championship and had recently drew 1-1 with (not Wayne Rooneys) Derby County with a goal by Ian Huuuuume. We were managed by Craig Levein (until Rob Kelly took over) and we ended up finishing 16th.
That season transfers totalled £1,925,000 in and £2,375,000 out. Those Were The Days!

The first people to post on the then new thread, besides Scarby, included G F P, MKFox, OxFox, Durham Fox, Lazzer, Joe_Fox, Highland Fox, and drummindefender.

The British Top 10 singles at the time were:
1: Push The Button - Sugababes
2: Tripping - Robbie Williams
3: Don't Cha - Pussycat Dolls / Busta Rhymes
4: Precious - Depeche Mode
5: We Be Burnin' - Sean Paul
6: Gold Digger - Kanye West / Jamie Foxx
7: Two More Years - Bloc Party
8: Song 4 Lovers - Liberty X
9: Get Your Number / Shake It Off / Mariah Carey
10: Bad Day / Daniel Powter

And so on and on. But two weeks later the Pop Music Charts were blown-apart completly by The Arctic Monkeys first single - and the pop-world hasn't looked back.

BUT, What-Are-You-Listening-To-Now is now 16 and i'm playing this (it's only right).

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854