What ****s me off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverFox

:mad:Five minutes that were really good that turned into forty five that I watched...

And I'm talking about Portsmouth vs Liverpool in the Asia Trophy. That could easily have been us. We had the talent and were good enough to stay up the last season that we were in the premier league. Micky Adams properly did us. I know it is a nothing trophy but in terms of world wide prestige it could easily have been us in that position.

What a difference a few games make.

Wish I had not seen that first half!!! Don't know how it ended and don't care...but damn!!!!!!:mad:

Last edited:
I feel the same as you mate, I know that could easily be us.

And as long as MM does as good a job here as he did at Portsmouth, in a couple of seasons that will be us!

Everyone hates that ****ing bastard who got us embarassingly relegated (we shall not speak his name), but for the first time in years I feel really positive.

I haven't said it for a long time, but now my faith has been renewed;

KEEP THE FAITH!

Bit harsh to pin all our current disappointments on Adams. Not too many promoted teams stay up these days.

And of course, when we were up there a hundred other teams were saying "blimey, it's only Leiecster, WE should be up there because we are the mighty Wolves/Sheff Wed/Stoke/Watford/Bristol City/Preston" etc etc

Swings and roundabouts. We'll be back...

I think we were a well established Premiership team that should never have been relagted though. Adams had a lot of money to spend and blew it all on the wrong players. For me, it was undoubtedly his carefree spending and lack of any managerial skill that got us relagated.

And I know we can't fully blame him for everything. It was the board's fault for letting Adams blow all of our money and their fault for appointing rubbish managers. I honestly reckon that under the right circumstances we'd be back in the prem by now.

But that's football - there are no 'right circumstances'. The unpredictability is what keeps me coming back for more!

As were Charlton, Leeds, Forest, Brum, West Ham, Coventry, Southampton.... all it takes is one bad season.

Very true. But as I said, that is the very nature of football that keeps me coming back. Football's unpredictably is it's best feature, even if we have fallen foul of it :icon_sad:

I think we were a well established Premiership team that should never have been relagted though. Adams had a lot of money to spend and blew it all on the wrong players. For me, it was undoubtedly his carefree spending and lack of any managerial skill that got us relagated.

And I know we can't fully blame him for everything. It was the board's fault for letting Adams blow all of our money and their fault for appointing rubbish managers. I honestly reckon that under the right circumstances we'd be back in the prem by now.

But that's football - there are no 'right circumstances'. The unpredictability is what keeps me coming back for more!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

He had just taken us up with a patched together side on a tide of emotion following administration, and probably had the smallest budget of any promoted manager in recent history - a lot of the money went on paying deferred pay, past debt under the terms of the admin deal (and the wages of those on "hangover" contracts from a previous regime). And they still came within 45 minutes of staying up....

The rot set in long before Mickey took over. And at least he had the good grace early in the next seasonto admit he had run out of ideas and stepped down, unlike most managers.

Last edited:
That was the season where we were winning in a number of games but then ended up drawing/losing when we should have won. Games that instantly spring to mind are the Southampton game on the first day of the season when we were 2-0 up and it ended up at 2-2. And, who can forget this one? Away at Wolves where were were 3-0 up at half-time and lost it 4-3.....

That was the season where we were winning in a number of games but then ended up drawing/losing when we should have won. Games that instantly spring to mind are the Southampton game on the first day of the season when we were 2-0 up and it ended up at 2-2. And, who can forget this one? Away at Wolves where were were 3-0 up at half-time and lost it 4-3.....

Lest we forget. :icon_sad:

So’ton (h): led 2-0, drew 2-2.
Spurs (h): led 1-0, lost 2-1.
Wolves (a): led 3-0, lost 4-3.
Ch’ton (h): led 1-0, drew 1-1.
Everton (a): led 2-1, lost 3-2.
N’castle (h): led 1-0, drew 1-1.
Bolton (a): led 1-0, drew 2-2.
Boro (a): led 3-1, drew 3-3.
Bolton (h): led 1-0, drew 1-1.
Spurs (a): led 4-3, drew 4-4.

if we'd have held on to win all them games then we would of definately stayed up

23 points better off and seventh. :icon_conf

I'm not sure how anyone can blame Adams for the clubs fall from the premiership. The guy had no money to spend, got us promoted despite being in administration and then built a team on free transfers that almost kept us in the premiership. It's quite obvious who was to blame for our downfall so I shall not utter his name!

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I heard that if all of our games had ended at half time in 02/03 when we were relegated, we would have finished in a champions league spot.

Last edited:
Adams did well given the circumstances and IMO he left at the right time, he had taken the club as far as he could.

yes, I too would not pin this all on Adams. He lost the plot towards the end admittedly but in mitigation he had not only administration & severe financial constraints but the La Manga scandal that really rocked him as well. For the latter certain players are to blame. As has been intimated by those who cannot bring themselves to type his name (understandably) the foundations for everything that Martin O'Neill had built to crumble into dust were well and truely done by Peter Taylor. A seasoned premiership team was hacked apart (Walsh, Cottee & Guppy) and supplemented by donkey signings at extortionate transfer fees. To be fair the loss of Lennon was not his fault but the signings, match preparation and tactics were.

Last edited:
:mad:Five minutes that were really good that turned into forty five that I watched...

And I'm talking about Portsmouth vs Liverpool in the Asia Trophy. That could easily have been us. We had the talent and were good enough to stay up the last season that we were in the premier league. Micky Adams properly did us. I know it is a nothing trophy but in terms of world wide prestige it could easily have been us in that position.

What a difference a few games make.

Wish I had not seen that first half!!! Don't know how it ended and don't care...but damn!!!!!!:mad:

???????????????????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265