Whats Lacking in this present team is............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keep the Faith

Leadership, character, pride and passion in my humble opinion. If you have a look at some of the players who have left the club over the past 3 seasons not in terms of ability or age but just on personality and character, and who has been bought in as replacements you can see where the problems lie.

Ability wise the current squad is very good but there is a distinct lack of leaders, players who will take responsibility for their performance and for others in the team. For example look at some of the players who have left in comparison to who is here at present.

Old
Taggart, Sinclair, Izzet, Savage, McKinley, Dickov, Ferdinand, Thatcher etc

New

Dabizas, Gudjonnson, Nalis, Tiatto, Keown, Connolly, Williams, Gemmill, Dublin, Blake, Wilcox.

The old players were ones who had pride and passion they would bollock other pros who werent pulling their weight, they wouldnt accept passengers. Imagine if Taggart or Savage were playing in the current side would they accept the current levels of commitment no way they would be grabbing players and telling them to raise there game in no uncertain terms.

Micky has assembled a good squad of players but hasnt assembled a good enough mix of character. We desperately need some guvnors in this team, players who will take responsibility and be the bosses on the pitch.

The only one I have seen this season is Keown and now he has gone. Without these types of character in the side we are a soft touch and now even mediocre sides are getting results. We lack leadership and Dabizas should never be allowed within 100 yards of the captains armband.

Im afraid without these personalitites in the side we are very unlikely to win promotion. We need winners with a winners mentality.

spot on,i got hammered on here last christmas,when i suggested taggart should be in the side,he has been superb for stoke.we certainly miss his leadership qualitys.

I agree

A few years ago leicester were a team that players would look to be lucky if they got a draw now they will get shouted at by their managers if they didnt win leicester have to get someone that wants to win wants to do well wants to go to places i think thats the same for the manager to i think he lacks commitment what was micky thinking getting rid of keown.

step said:
Getting rid of Keown was typical of the decisions ma makes

Why did your ma get rid of Keown, did he burp at the dinner table? Did he have such bad manners?

While I agree with your comments about passion and leadership, there's something a lot more practical missing in the current team, and to my mind, that's where the problem lies - there isn't a playmaker.
If you noticed, last season if Muzzy was missing we were less than ordinary. He was the heart, soul and dynamo of the team, a player who was all over the pitch and who had the vision to shake things up if they went flat. His passing was superb, his crosses and corners were excellent, and he never stopped running. He took total control, and the team was in awe of him. He was our maestro
As many others on the forum have noted, Gareth Williams is not that type of player. He's too young for a start, and can't take command, and as yet his flair is only apparent at odd moments, and he likes running in straight lines and is too easily, as yet, knocked off the ball. He reminds me of a taller Stevie/Stuart??? Wilson.
If we don't have the rather second rate, but OK playmakers in midfield, Gemmill or Nalis, the entire structure falls apart and everyone runs round like blue-bummed flies, hoofing it anywhere, mostly to heads instead of feet (Wilcox and Stewart being the greatest offenders, although both can do individual stuff at times)
So, we haven't got a team, because we haven't got a playmaker who will make it gel, and I've been waiting, for the last 12 games for someone to emerge to fill the Muzzy role (although no one will ever be a Magician, as he was). But with the team chopped and changed each week, the midfield just can't settle down, and no one has a clue what to do.
It's not particularly been Mickey's fault, but I think the team was looking to him to sort out that hole in midfield, and he hasn't.
I'm actually sorry that he's leaving, because I remember how inspiring he was in the past. But, without Muzz, he's not inspiring. He's been faffing around. And the team has faffed with him.
So it IS time for change, and for someone new to take new look at who we've got, and what they can do as a unit, rather than as random buys who looked good on paper. Anyway, Soton can have him, and are now welcome, and we now know why he's been so disaffected recently. He was offered a better job.
I do wish Basset would go, though.........

Innocent said:
While I agree with your comments about passion and leadership, there's something a lot more practical missing in the current team, and to my mind, that's where the problem lies - there isn't a playmaker.
If you noticed, last season if Muzzy was missing we were less than ordinary. He was the heart, soul and dynamo of the team, a player who was all over the pitch and who had the vision to shake things up if they went flat. His passing was superb, his crosses and corners were excellent, and he never stopped running. He took total control, and the team was in awe of him. He was our maestro
As many others on the forum have noted, Gareth Williams is not that type of player. He's too young for a start, and can't take command, and as yet his flair is only apparent at odd moments, and he likes running in straight lines and is too easily, as yet, knocked off the ball. He reminds me of a taller Stevie/Stuart??? Wilson.
If we don't have the rather second rate, but OK playmakers in midfield, Gemmill or Nalis, the entire structure falls apart and everyone runs round like blue-bummed flies, hoofing it anywhere, mostly to heads instead of feet (Wilcox and Stewart being the greatest offenders, although both can do individual stuff at times)
So, we haven't got a team, because we haven't got a playmaker who will make it gel, and I've been waiting, for the last 12 games for someone to emerge to fill the Muzzy role (although no one will ever be a Magician, as he was). But with the team chopped and changed each week, the midfield just can't settle down, and no one has a clue what to do.
It's not particularly been Mickey's fault, but I think the team was looking to him to sort out that hole in midfield, and he hasn't.
I'm actually sorry that he's leaving, because I remember how inspiring he was in the past. But, without Muzz, he's not inspiring. He's been faffing around. And the team has faffed with him.
So it IS time for change, and for someone new to take new look at who we've got, and what they can do as a unit, rather than as random buys who looked good on paper. Anyway, Soton can have him, and are now welcome, and we now know why he's been so disaffected recently. He was offered a better job.
I do wish Basset would go, though.........
Agree with that, especially the part about Muzzy, I've have been waiting for someone to get a grip on midfield and the team in general, someone who would be the first name on the teamsheet week in week out. You know I think what we need is a Captain!

i agree totally about the lack of effort/passion, im not sure if you put muzzy back into this side all our troubles would be over.although it would be a step in the right direction we need a little bit of quality and a lot of hard work.right now i dont think we have either :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669