What's our best XI now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graz

Creating a new thread for this as I'm genuinely interested in opinions. Optimistically I'm hoping to keep the manager chat out of this, because that doesn't really change what our best XI is with what's available (and we've got enough threads on Rodgers already).

I'm seriously concerned about our squad for this season - I can't see a system that works for us without big holes in it or key players out of position.

Other than Ricardo as a long term injury, assume everyone else is fit, what's your starting XI for us with what's available?

There's only really 2 systems I see working for us, which are 3-5-2 or 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 - but we don't have the centre backs for a 3-5-2 and it would probably mean Barnes misses out, but we don't have the wingers for a 4-3-3

It's very, very hard to find a balanced setup for this team.

3-5-2 setup is what I'd go for with everyone available:

Ward

Castagne
Soyuncu
Evans
Faes
Justin

Ndidi
Tielemans
Maddison

Nacho
Vardy

You could potentially try and convert Barnes to a central player and put him top with Vardy. Also, JJ was actually doing a good job as a RCB in a back 3/5 before injury and we haven't used him there since, so there's the option to move him in there and play Thomas as LWB but then that's a weak area too. That team also doesn't get KDH in.

This IMO is what we need, as we don't have enough down the wings in attack at the minute and Vardy is too isolated up front now, so he needs a striker partner, and it keeps Maddison central.

The only other system I see is the one Rodgers is currently using but it means playing our best player (Maddison) out of position... My preference if we persist with that would actually be to move KDH wide and side if we can develop him into a more of a wide midfielder, since IMO his best attribute (other than his energy) is his dribbling.

We either need to play with wingbacks or wingers, via a 3-4-1-2 or 4-2-3-1. The last two games we’ve played with no width whatsoever as we’ve tried to shoehorn central midfielders into wing positions.

We either need to play with wingbacks or wingers, via a 3-4-1-2 or 4-2-3-1. The last two games we’ve played with no width whatsoever as we’ve tried to shoehorn central midfielders into wing positions.
Agree, although of the two I prefer the 4-2-3-1 where the fullbacks can support the wingers, but you’re spot on we look toothless at the best of times and worse when we haven’t got width.

Albrighton should be starting.

Agreed.

If I was put in charge tomorrow, I’d go with this on Sunday:

Iversen

Castagne
Evans
Faes
Justin

Soumare
Tielemans

Albrighton
Maddison
Barnes

Vardy

My side would look like this:

Iversen
Faes Evans Soyuncu
Justin Ndidi Tielemans Castagne
Maddison
Iheanacho Daka

Castagne has to be on the left because Justin is so poor there this season. We need that extra central defender because we're too vulnerable with a back four.

Soumare is unlucky but we have to get back to basics and the Ndidi/Tielemans pairing used to be perfect. Dewsbury-Hall would be behind Soumare and Praet as back up central midfield options for me. You certainly can't play him in a two.

Vardy and Barnes give us proactive off the bench options.

You'd agree with putting City Fan City Fan in charge tomorrow?!

Our players would need anti-depressants...
They’re probably already taking them having their **** manager constantly throw them under the bus.

Iheanacho starting.
KDH behind Praet.

****ing hell. I mean....I thought Rodgers was trolling us but....

My side would look like this:

Iversen
Faes Evans Soyuncu
Justin Ndidi Tielemans Castagne
Maddison
Iheanacho Daka

Castagne has to be on the left because Justin is so poor there this season. We need that extra central defender because we're too vulnerable with a back four.

Soumare is unlucky but we have to get back to basics and the Ndidi/Tielemans pairing used to be perfect. Dewsbury-Hall would be behind Soumare and Praet as back up central midfield options for me. You certainly can't play him in a two.

Vardy and Barnes give us proactive off the bench options.
You are raving bonkers! How can you pick Soyuncu who doesn’t have the required fitness level and isn't training at the necessary standard to play in the Premier league?

You don't have to. You could use the evidence of last season when he very clearly gave no ****s whatsoever and played like a blind, one legged, emu with haemorrhoids.
So he was still better than Vestergaard then??

10 Barry Hayles and Amartey. Unless our 11th Barry Hayles is fit enough and then it's a team of Barry Hayles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757