who should take our penalties?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Zammo and Ro-land.

Incidentally, cod psychology doesn't do much for me, its proven fact in the Journal of Sport Sciences that repeating a skill in a non pressurised situation (eg, training) has no bearing on the skill being perfomed in a pressured situation (eg, a match).

See also a book called Science & Soccer by Thomas Reilly.

Gary Linekar's Football Stories is also a cracking read.

Dunc said:
Like Zammo and Ro-land.

Incidentally, cod psychology doesn't do much for me, its proven fact in the Journal of Sport Sciences that repeating a skill in a non pressurised situation (eg, training) has no bearing on the skill being perfomed in a pressured situation (eg, a match).

yeah but not being able to do it in a match is a pretty good indication that you can't do it in a match

:D

Tony Elsby said:
RoyFox said:
BOB HAZELL said:
Have faith in Connelly - anyone can have a penalty saved :roll:

Agree, how fickle can we be? (myself included) 1 pen isn't a good stat to go on is it?

Keep the faith in Connolly, you'll see

It depends on the standards you set. Can't remember precisely but I think LeTissier missed one in his entire career. Do the takers practise penalties? It probably didn't matter a jot against Derby because we won but, once again, it might have done. Stop giving the opposition an unearned chance for Heaven's sake. I presume we're aiming for the championship rather than the lottery of the play-offs so the sooner Leicester develop some ruthlessness the better. I remember Peter Shilton putting hours of extra training in to correct a weakness. Will Connolly be doing the same - one certainly hopes so. Even so. Well done City. Three away points in a local derby. Definitely encouraging. We still have lots of improving to do but at least its from a winning position and that's far better than having to do it from the basement end. I certainly have faith in Connolly but only if he's willing to recognise there's things he can improve on and determined enough to do something about them.

The Doobie: Domination is not about right or wrong, good or bad, but about winning or losing.

Matt LeTissier was arguably one of the most skilful players this country has produced. I mean Pele and blooming maradona have probably missed pennos... We have big trev, nathan blake and conno hardly comparable. :roll:

James Walker lives.... :?

I think Scowcroft should take the penalties really.

Steve Lynex never missed one - wheel him back and get him to organise Bonfire Night while he's at it.

Dunc said:
Steve Lynex never missed one - wheel him back and get him to organise Bonfire Night while he's at it.

He's the right Guy for the job.

Dunc said:
The doobie: American College speak for a hand rolled cigarette containing marijuana. Also called a 'spliff' or 'joint' to name but two.

eg, "dude, let's smoke a doobie".

"Doobie" - Fenland speak for a fall guy as in:

I'm a squash club Doobie,
A fall guy of sorts,
I search for opponents
And pays for their courts,
This young bloke I'm playing,
he's fit and he's strong,
What he does is right,
What I does is wrong,
He hits every shot,
An inch from the tin,
Not where I,m goin
But where I've just bin.
etc. etc.

As published in 1970's by Twentieth Century poets though whether anyone bought a copy is not recorded. Hope it helps.

Tony Elsby said:
Dunc said:
The doobie: American College speak for a hand rolled cigarette containing marijuana. Also called a 'spliff' or 'joint' to name but two.

eg, "dude, let's smoke a doobie".

"Doobie" - Fenland speak for a fall guy as in:

I'm a squash club Doobie,
A fall guy of sorts,
I search for opponents
And pays for their courts,
This young bloke I'm playing,
he's fit and he's strong,
What he does is right,
What I does is wrong,
He hits every shot,
An inch from the tin,
Not where I,m goin
But where I've just bin.
etc. etc.

As published in 1970's by Twentieth Century poets though whether anyone bought a copy is not recorded. Hope it helps.

Doobie fall guy fenland

Dunc said:
Like Zammo and Ro-land.

Who the hell did Thomas Reilly ever play for?. As a simple scientific experiment pick any dozen youngsters off the street, ascertain that they do not practice any sport then get them to play football, golf, squash, polo, you name it. One or two might have some natural ability but most will be naff and the ONLY way you get any good at the finer skills of any sport is to practise. At County level and beyond I cannot think of anyone who didn't practise.

The Doobie: "Practise is best practice"

The Doobie: Practice is best practise

Ok, I'll ignore scientific research and findings and listen to you. And guess what dipshit, Thomas Reilly wasn't the one taking the penalties, he was the man who edited the book bringing in all the relavent info from research conducted with professional footballers around the world.

The Doobie: One brother from a crap 70's band not worth talking about.

Dunc said:

And get him to bring a bloody big banger for Nathan Blake

All this Doobie talk is giving me the munchies

Don't argue - listen to the music

Dunc said:
Ok, I'll ignore scientific research and findings and listen to you. And guess what dipshit, Thomas Reilly wasn't the one taking the penalties, he was the man who edited the book bringing in all the relavent info from research conducted with professional footballers around the world.

Just glad your boffin's not picking my football team, that's all. Just imagine the midweek workouts can't you. 'Forget the footballs, we don't need shooting practise.Two hours of Shakespeare and a gentle stroll around Tate Modern... that should set you up for Millwall lads.'

Tony Elsby said:
Dunc said:

Just glad your boffin's not picking my football team, that's all. Just imagine the midweek workouts can't you. 'Forget the footballs, we don't need shooting practise.Two hours of Shakespeare and a gentle stroll around Tate Modern... that should set you up for Millwall lads.'

Relatively speaking, :wink: if City were as good as the Tate Modern then we would win the Champions League. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566