Windows Media Centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
Anybody tried purchasing and installing this OS on a non specific PC

You are only allowed to buy this as part of the PC, but obviously I already have a PC and just want the software

Anybody?

Anybody tried purchasing and installing this OS on a non specific PC

You are only allowed to buy this as part of the PC, but obviously I already have a PC and just want the software

Anybody?

Last time I checked it was only available on a Media Centre PC, which incidentally I had for a while and it was wank.

Last time I checked it was only available on a Media Centre PC, which incidentally I had for a while and it was wank.
I only want it to stream video across my home network from my pc to my Xbox

I have an HD Tele, HD Xbox and HD films on my PC. To avoid burning them and losing quality I would rather "stream" them across.

Is there any other way to connect my Xbox to my home PC via a wirelss router without using Media Centre

I only want it to stream video across my home network from my pc to my Xbox

I have an HD Tele, HD Xbox and HD films on my PC. To avoid burning them and losing quality I would rather "stream" them across.

Is there any other way to connect my Xbox to my home PC via a wirelss router without using Media Centre

I think it can be done with a wireless router, it just needs pairing with the Xbox I think, have you got the wireless adapter for the Xbox? Ive heard bad reports about that

I think it can be done with a wireless router, it just needs pairing with the Xbox I think, have you got the wireless adapter for the Xbox? Ive heard bad reports about that
I'm playing mp3's and viewing pictures via Windows Media Connect wirelessly from pc to xbox, but I can't find a way to do vids

Melton, get your xbox chipped for roughly 35 quid. Then download Xbox Media Centre. I have it running at my house and its great for movies, music and images.

If you get the Xecuter chip you can still use Xbox Live as you vary the length of time you hold the power button down, a long press bypasses the chip.

Melton, get your xbox chipped for roughly 35 quid. Then download Xbox Media Centre. I have it running at my house and its great for movies, music and images.

If you get the Xecuter chip you can still use Xbox Live as you vary the length of time you hold the power button down, a long press bypasses the chip.
Cheers Drew, I'm always a bit worried about paying £300 odd quid for a console and then getting it chipped.

Is Xbox media centre only compatible with a chipped Xbox? because money's not the issue, if I have to pay for it I don't mind (within reason)

Ah, bloody MS. Media Centre is not great on day to day PC's :( I had it on mine for a while got rid of it after a week or so.

That's the one.

Still not sure about the legalities of installing it on an "old" PC.

OK, if I buy it I'm free to do with it what I please. I'm just concerned about invalidating Windows updates etc from Microsoft

I'll probably be taking the gamble, unless advised otherwise

I can get "a copy" of the same product, but with Operating Systems, I wouldn't want to **** about with illegal copies

Last edited:
Just bought a new PC today with Media Centre already on it and ready for Vista.

Still playing around with it at the mo, but it looks OK. Have synched up my 360 with my pc, but still can't get the files on my pc to appear in the same files on my tele.

I shall keep trying

have you tried this MF, VLC player

It's free & is an excellent program not just for streaming video but as a multi-format media player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669