wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazzer

If i am logged on to a non secure wireless site at work can the boys in IT trace if i am online ?

If i am logged on to a non secure wireless site at work can the boys in IT trace if i am online ?

I can't see how if you aren't on their network. However they may have logging software on your computer that would tell them.

The fact that it isn't secure makes no difference. It depends on whose network you are connected to.
If the lads in IT administer the network you're connected to, then yes they can see you and everything that you're doing.

Last edited:
Yes Macky but if i unplug the network cable and use wireless im in the clear right?

Yes Macky but if i unplug the network cable and use wireless im in the clear right?

It would depend on which wireless network that you've connected to.

If it's a wireless network that your IT dept have set up then no, you're not necessarily in the clear.

But if it's say a wireless dongle through a mobile operator that you're connecting through or a stray unsecured wireless network that they have nothing to do with then f*ck 'em, you can work away. :icon_bigg

Regardless of whether you are using wired or wireless, you will still need an IP address so the DHCP server will have a record of you.

So if you piggy back someones acccess via wireless they say its untraceable. So how would it be traceable if i logged on to a random unsecured network?

Your IP would be logged on their server as accessed. Unless they regularly check their logs then you will be alright, and even if they do I doubt they will try to trace the IP address over minimal access.

So if you piggy back someones acccess via wireless they say its untraceable. So how would it be traceable if i logged on to a random unsecured network?

If it is just a random unsecured wireless network then it wouldn't be traceable to you.

Your IP would be logged on their server as accessed. Unless they regularly check their logs then you will be alright, and even if they do I doubt they will try to trace the IP address over minimal access.

His IP address will be issued by their DHCP server, there's nothing to trace.

The router will log his MAC address but its highly unlikely theyd be able to d anything with that. You're fine Lazzer.

Duzza can you sort us a dvd drive and fit it as well ? :icon_lol:

If you want a pcmcia DVD player (not writer) I have one you can have for free, been sat in a case for about 3 years, I also have an USB external cd writer that I'd be happy to donate if you could make use of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669