Women's football

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb5000

Leicester City Women, the women's club affliated with the men's club have been promoted to the Championship with the reorganisation of women's football. This is effectively the second division and gives them the chance to get promoted to the WSL.

It's been a mixed bag of results so far, with a good win against Crystal Palace and then a loss against Spurs in the league suggesting that they'll have a solid season if not one where they'll be pushing for honours. Against this the league cup, which starts with a somewhat daft group stage, has been poor and we know that with two fixtures left we're almost certainly already elimated.

Next up, on Sunday Leicester are traveling to Lewes, who have made a few headlines by setting the same budget for their womens and mens teams, and have made a very bright start to the season. After that, it's up to Quorn next Sunday for the visit of London Bees which should be a good game. All home games are at Quorn FC, which I know it isn't easy for lots of people in the city to get out there, but if you can get there I hope you'll agree that you can see a decent game (and at a very fair price)

Anyone who wants to keep tabs on how they're doing can get scores, tables, and the the occasional feature from BBC Sport or the Guardian. There's also the official site www.lcwfc.com, which bears all the accuracy and timeliness that we've come to expect from official sites

Lewes have produced a poster featuring Biddy Baxter in honour of the fixture (they have artists produce posters for every game), Baxter is from well before my time so I had no idea that we had a former Blue Peter presenter on the celebrity supporter books.

The poster is even available on a limited edition, though personally I can’t think there’s much of a market... https://www.lewesfc.com/product/leicester-city-2018-19-biddy-baxter

I think she was the Producer rather than a presenter - but also didn't know she was a City fan.... good find by the Lewes investigators

I think she was the Producer rather than a presenter - but also didn't know she was a City fan.... good find by the Lewes investigators

I knew she was from Leicester, but I didn't know she was a City fan. The Lewes website doesn't say anything about her being a fan, just that she's from Leicester.

It says "Every Lewes FC Women's match poster this season will feature a famous (and sometimes less famous) woman who inspires us and who lives, lived or was born in the area where our opponents come from..." and "Biddy Baxter was born and brought up in Leicester. Though she didn't originally create Blue Peter, it was Baxter and her deputy Edward Barnes who developed the format into a successful programme, initially on a budget of only £180 per edition. It was Baxter who created, in 1963, the legendary Blue Peter badge as a way to encourage viewers to write in and she also started the annual Blue Peter appeals. In a man's world of TV production, she was a pioneer in children's television worldwide."

Up to fifth! Not enough for a promotion run, but looking very good for the first season at this level!

Is our Ladies team an official City Club team like Arsenal Ladies and Chelsea Ladies are

Leicester City Women is the official city club team, Leicester City Ladies is an entirely seperate organisation that have been around a lot longer but now play at a lower level

So do LCW get to use all the same training facilities as the men?

Do they play in King Power blue shirts?

I must admit that I don't know what the training situation is currently, but they'll use this planned new complex when it opens. They play their home games in Quorn, and play in the same kit (including KP sponsorship) as the men. There's a nice pic of them marking Vichai's passing before the game against Sheffield United here:
CSC_0043_2-2018-11-04-14_26_59.jpg

Lost 4-0 at home to Charlton today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861