Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
re VAR, I had a 'moment' when Ellen White's goal was disallowed against the USA Sweden. It was undoubtedly the correct decision in that there was a handball (so I guess that's the end of the discussion for some) but I couldn't help but feel that it was too exact, too picky or something. It was almost as if I wanted the ref to be allowed to make mistakes, to not see everything. I dunno what I mean exactly but I do know something made me feel that something somewhere had gone too far.

Last edited:
re VAR, I had a 'moment' when Ellen White's goal was disallowed against the USA. It was undoubtedly the correct decision in that there was a handball (so I guess that's the end of the discussion for some) but I couldn't help but feel that it was too exact, too picky or something. It was almost as if I wanted the ref to be allowed to make mistakes, to not see everything. I dunno what I mean exactly but I do know something made me feel that something somewhere had gone too far.

Because the small margin decisions are a part of football, part of the whole thing.

VAR is taking much of the passion out of it, it's the disinfection of football, the sanitisation of something that derives half of it's interest from being a bit murky, open to personal interpretation.

The pre / post match discussion will be replaced by inane moaning about VAR and it's going to be mind numbingly shit.

Because the small margin decisions are a part of football, part of the whole thing.

VAR is taking much of the passion out of it, it's the disinfection of football, the sanitisation of something that derives half of it's interest from being a bit murky, open to personal interpretation.

The pre / post match discussion will be replaced by inane moaning about VAR and it's going to be mind numbingly shit.
Well said. I’d also like to add that VAR is wank and is designed to penalise teams and players who have to play on the limit of what is acceptable within the laws of the game in order to achieve anything. Goodbye Vardy running off the last man and Huth’s dark arts, hello Man City and Liverpool scoring tap ins and penalties all season. Yay football!

People have been moaning for years that match officials get too many decisions wrong. We obviously have the technology, why not use it, they said. Now it’s here, suddenly more people seem against it than for. Even though they’ve never made themselves known before VAR existed. Predictable, but fascinating nonetheless.

I have no problem with VAR as such. The problem lies in using it to look for things which the officials would never be able to differentiate - such is the 2 mm offside or the goalkeeper's foot 2 mm off the ground. This tournament has been to some extent spoiled by it, and I hope the powers that be look again at the guidelines, Basically, something that requires a committee to look at umpteen times, followed by the ref doing the same cannot be deemed a "clear and obvious error". Maybe someone should look at cricket, where its use for lbw leaves open "close shaves" as being within the limits of what an umpire can reasonably assume

People have been moaning for years that match officials get too many decisions wrong. We obviously have the technology, why not use it, they said. Now it’s here, suddenly more people seem against it than for. Even though they’ve never made themselves known before VAR existed. Predictable, but fascinating nonetheless.

It's the implementation of it that will cause the biggest problem.

I never asked for better refs or VAR, i ****ing love moaning about shit decisions.

Now it’s here, suddenly more people seem against it than for. Even though they’ve never made themselves known before VAR existed.

Maybe because they were happy with the way things were? And/or thought they'd see how VAR panned out before judging it?

We're still in its infancy, and I think it's showing the good and the bad (as is to be expected) but I'd not be surprised if its use gets refined/limited. It's clearly getting stuff right so I reckon it's a matter of fine tuning its usage.

VAR is brilliant.

They'll be teething problems this season but it will settle down.

I want correct decisions.

The grey areas need eradicating. The refs playing it safe or favouring the home team or puffed up refs full of their own self-importance need stopping.

It's the future and everyone always complains about change. It's for the best though.

I preferred it when 'in the opinion of the referee' actually meant something. Modern football is crap.

VAR is brilliant.

They'll be teething problems this season but it will settle down.

I want correct decisions.

The grey areas need eradicating. The refs playing it safe or favouring the home team or puffed up refs full of their own self-importance need stopping.

It's the future and everyone always complains about change. It's for the best though.

Let's hope they can implement it properly as soon as possible.

I am quite sure that this season is going to be a complete mess and the passion of celebrating goals live at games is going to be shat all over within a month, especially after numerous cancellations following a review.

That could kill a massive reason people love attending live football.

Let's hope they can implement it properly as soon as possible.

I am quite sure that this season is going to be a complete mess and the passion of celebrating goals live at games is going to be shat all over within a month, especially after numerous cancellations following a review.

That could kill a massive reason people love attending live football.

In your example, they're not really goals though are they?

I want to celebrate goals, not mistakes.

Football will be fine.

Most importantly, it will mess with endemic cheating.

In your example, they're not really goals though are they?

I want to celebrate goals, not mistakes.

Football will be fine.

In that euphoric moment it wont matter, people will stop celebrating goals that look marginal etc which is ****ing criminal as football is a sport of passion, take that away and it's as shit as any other sport that nobody likes.

It could have a much bigger effect than you think.

Just think, when Vardy is on the shoulder and slots one in after out pacing the defender, no flag as they don't bother now with VAR, the crowd just wait to make sure they won't be made to look stupid yet again by VAR

At that point it's all pointless and you might as well be at home

In that euphoric moment it wont matter, people will stop celebrating goals that look marginal etc which is ****ing criminal as football is a sport of passion, take that away and it's as shit as any other sport that nobody likes.

It could have a much bigger effect than you think.

Just think, when Vardy is on the shoulder and slots one in after out pacing the defender, no flag as they don't bother now with VAR, the crowd just wait to make sure they won't be made to look stupid yet again by VAR

At that point it's all pointless and you might as well be at home

That all happens now. Offsides and foul decisions interupt celebrations all the time.

The only change is greater accuracy.

That all happens now. Offsides and foul decisions interupt celebrations all the time.

Massive difference IMO, the flag is already up, people still fully celebrate as it's less frequent.

We will have to wait and see, one of us will be right I'm sure.

From The Times:

For supporters of Premier League teams who have been watching this summer's Women's World Cup anxious about the impact VAR will have next season, fear not. Mike Riley, the referees' chief in England, has reassured fans that Premier League referees will take a softer stance on the new handball law than we have seen in last season's Champions League and at the World Cup.

The former top-flight referee also says that officials will be told not to consult pitchside monitors "unless the VAR's decision is completely out from what he expects" in an attempt to keep delays to a minimum.

I have no problem with VAR as such. The problem lies in using it to look for things which the officials would never be able to differentiate - such is the 2 mm offside or the goalkeeper's foot 2 mm off the ground. This tournament has been to some extent spoiled by it, and I hope the powers that be look again at the guidelines, Basically, something that requires a committee to look at umpteen times, followed by the ref doing the same cannot be deemed a "clear and obvious error". Maybe someone should look at cricket, where its use for lbw leaves open "close shaves" as being within the limits of what an umpire can reasonably assume

Spot on Old Git.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758