Women's World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. Some decent goalkeepers now.

It couldn't be really could it?

I remember going to the England v Sweden international at Filbert St (maybe in '81?)

Christ, I'm not exaggerating when I say that at least half the players couldn't play the game at all. Goalkeeping was particularly bad. Almost like those school playground games where you put someone in goal simply because they can't play.
Both keepers kept dropping the ball, came out for crosses that sailed 5 feet over their heads & stayed pretty much glued to their line at all times. Goal kicks hardly ever reached the centre circle.

The only reason the game wasn't high scoring was because the attacking players on both sides were so ****ing woeful. The small crowd was pretty much in a state of bemusement throughout.

Highlight of the game was a bloke 2 rows in front of me who reacted to an England player screwing a complete sitter 5 feet past the near post by shouting " I hope you can ****ing cook!" Surely that has to be unique in the history of football abuse?

I'm really enjoying the Norway v Australia game. Hi tempo, open, end-to-end stuff. The pace hasn't dropped from the word go. They must be near dead on their feet in this heat!

A bit nervy though. VAR got the no penalty decision correct.

We (Norway) are a bit lucky to still be in the lead now.

That was though to watch! Happy ending though :)

Norway vs winner of England-Cameroon in the quarterfinal

I thought Norway had thrown it away tbh. I thought they sat back too much 2nd half and invited pressure. I could see the Aussies winning that.

But what a different story the penalties were. Norway by far the more accomplished side!

They are a tight knit unit now, without the superstar Ada Hegerberg

What’s your view on the Hegerberg situation, Blaarev?
On the fence. I don’t think she has succeeded in bringing forward very convincing arguments for why she boycotts the national team. I understand the part about the mens’ team getting much more support and incredibly much better paid. But I don’t totally get why she needs to boycott. The last thing she did for the national team was to have a very anonymous Euros, and there are some whispering going around saying that the real and original reason for the conflict was that she was very displeased that her sister didn’t get to play during those Euros games.

3 observations;

1. Cameroon have left their mark on the tournament.
2. The game will have encouraged further debate of VAR.
3. England will have to play a helluva lot better than that to beat Norway.

Blimey. Looked a bit like the Women’s version of the Battle of Santiago (Italy v Chile, 1962}. Kudos to England for keeping their cool and focussing on the result, scratchy as their performance was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263