Zeljko Kalac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunc

http://www.leicester.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=10657

How about this for a quiz question?. Which former Leicester City goalkeeper appeared in one of this year's Champions League matches?

Answer: Zeljko 'Spider' Kalac!

AC Milan keeper Dida was stretchered off after 67 minutes of tonight's 1-1 draw against Bayern Munich, and the 6ft 7in former City goalkeeper came on in his place.

Kalac's Leicester City debut was as a substitute in the 1996 Division One play-off final against Crystal Palace at Wembley, coming on during the final minute of extra-time.

Being so big, Leicester manager Martin O'Neill thought that Kalac would be able to save penalties during the shoot-out.

But the appearance of this massive man momentarily distracted the Palace players and Steve Claridge scored his famous winning goal with the last kick of the game and the Foxes were promoted to the Premiership.

Unfortunately the rest of his extraordinarily career at City ended in ridicule with him making one short and spectacularly inadequate League appearance against Bolton.

O'Neill was not amused.

Kalac was soon supposedly on his way to Wolves in a double transfer involving Australian, Steve Corica, but Leicester won £250,000 compensation from their Midlands rivals when the Kalac part of the deal fell through.

Nevertheless biographical details show that Kalac, an Australian International, spent into two seasons at Leicester, 1995/6 and 1996/7, regardless of his brief appearances then he went on to play for Sydney United, Roda JC (Holland), Perugia in the Italian League and now AC Milan with his remarkable 25 minute appearance in the Champions League.

Thats wrong isn't it. His debut was against WBA in the league and he then played the next game against Bolton in the League Cup when he had a mare. Both these games were under MM as I recall.

His only appearance under MON was the Play Off final.

Am I right or can Webbo set me straight cause I was explaining this to someone last night.

Dunc said:
http://www.leicester.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=10657

Thats wrong isn't it. His debut was against WBA in the league and he then played the next game against Bolton in the League Cup when he had a mare. Both these games were under MM as I recall.

His only appearance under MON was the Play Off final.

Am I right or can Webbo set me straight cause I was explaining this to someone last night.

Try looking in the 'football' thread Dunc under "wtf"

Last edited:
You're right... he's totally stuffed that one up :098:

He was McGoo's signing and Martin O'Neill used him to get us promoted.

The WBA game was one of those Central live sunday games... think he let 2 dodgy goals in during that game too.. but I'm sure we won 3-2 anyway.

Also, the WBA game was Pontus's debut wasn't it? An absolute cracker. I thought we had signed one of the best defenders in the world - especially after his 20 or so minutes against bolton too. Such a shame he got injured eh?

SamuearlJackson said:
Also, the WBA game was Pontus's debut wasn't it? An absolute cracker. I thought we had signed one of the best defenders in the world - especially after his 20 or so minutes against bolton too. Such a shame he got injured eh?

He looked like he was going to be a great attacking threat in that game as well - I don't thiink he ever showed that again.

Brilliant against Boro in the League Cup final though....:038:

I thought Pontus was a great player and wish we could have someone like that now!!

Fox From The Hudd said:
He looked like he was going to be a great attacking threat in that game as well - I don't thiink he ever showed that again.

Brilliant against Boro in the League Cup final though....:038:

He bombed forward brilliantly in that game, one of the best attacking performances (especially the first 45mins) i've seen a City side produce in my time.

Scotty "Really wanna see those fingers" Taylor with 2 goals.

Dunc said:
He bombed forward brilliantly in that game, one of the best attacking performances (especially the first 45mins) i've seen a City side produce in my time.

Scotty "Really wanna see those fingers" Taylor with 2 goals.

We have to acknowledge McGhoo's side played some good football and he pushed the boundaries in terms of transfers in buying players like Pontus and Corica and Kalac - they didn't all work but they were inventive for their time.

leicester_til_i_die said:
I thought Pontus was a great player and wish we could have someone like that now!!

He was one of THE best players we ever had.... wish he was still here :060:

partly.... he was genuinely a good player though. Kept Juninho (sp) out the game didnt he?? :icon_conf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4181
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263