1st Album is Best

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
Hazzman just posted something in another thread that prompted me to write this.

IYO which artists/bands first album has been so good, that they may as well given up after that, everything after that just didn't cut the mustard.

Cast - All Change

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Don't get me wrong, I really like Second Coming, but the debut is without a doubt my favourite album of all time, if I only had to listen to one album for the rest of my life, that would be it.

Last edited:
LS6_Fox said:
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Don't get me wrong, I really like Second Coming, but the debut is without a doubt my favourite album of all time, if I only had to listen to one album for the rest of my life, that would be it.

just about agree, but the second coming is also way better than many other bands first albums.

I thought Rush of Blood was as good if not better than Parachutes but hey.

SOmeone once told me why there is a tendency for 1st albums to be better than further ones, and they claimed it was because a band tours for a number of years, honing a select number of songs, seeing the crowd reaction to them over a long period of time and gauging which ones are the best to then stick on the album.

With that initial success, the band then has to tour the same set of songs before being shoved into a recording studio as soon as the tour is done to get 12 songs down for the next album, without any time to see any audience reaction or time to weedle out the filler.

Interesting point I felt.

My answer would be Tom McRae

Rayvon said:
just about agree, but the second coming is also way better than many other bands first albums.
I agree, I only looked at the first part of MF's question in my choice

Melton Fox said:
IYO which artists/bands first album has been so good, that they may as well given up after that

There are loads IMO:

Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Stereophonics - Word Gets Around (all their other albums are shite)
Gomez - Bring it on
Ash - 1977

Melton Fox said:
Hazzman just posted something in another thread that prompted me to write this.

IYO which artists/bands first album has been so good, that they may as well given up after that, everything after that just didn't cut the mustard.

Cast - All Change

I was going to write Cast as well, even though I love Magic Hour, and Mother Nature Calls. What about Beetroot, you ask? Yeah, well, that was a poor effort.

Fox From The Hudd said:
Lexicon of Love - ABC

Cheesily brilliant.......:note2: :note: :034:

a bit like good stilton

Fox From The Hudd said:
Lexicon of Love - ABC

Cheesily brilliant..

haven't heard that for ages, think i'll dig it out.

Joe_Fox said:
There are loads IMO:

Oasis - Definitely Maybe good but i prefer (whats the story) Morning Glory?
Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn i dont think so-dsotm and wywh are a class above
Stereophonics - Word Gets Around would disagree-p&c is better

The Strokes- Is This It, even though Room on Fire and First Impressions of Earth are undoubtedly great albums, Is This it is just amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669