3dtv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been talking about it all weekend in my house lol

Seems utterly pointless... you still have to wear the 3D glasses, and who wants to be sat at home with those on all the time? Plus, more and more people are doing other things whilst watching TV (eg reading a magazine, on a computer, etc)... so how does that work for those people? Because they won't be able to see the other thing they're looking at clearly.

Plus, what about people who already wear glasses? Not very practical for them.

HD still hasn't been fully accepted and taken up... I really don't se 3D being a success at all.

I think the real problem is that fact you have to buy a 3d ready tv. People have only just started buying HD mainstream, most aren't going to want to shell out again

i dont get why you need a special tv?? I have watched several 3d things in this past year on my regular tv. Why is this different?

i dont get why you need a special tv?? I have watched several 3d things in this past year on my regular tv. Why is this different?

Because it's a different technology... it's not the green/red like we've had for years. It's different, and new, and better, and therefore won't work on your existing TV.

Or it's all just a clever ploy to make people shell out a couple of grand on a new TV for something that will never take off, because it's not user-friendly, and is just the 3D fad coming back for a while before it disappears and everyone forgets about it for a few years... except the people who have bought their expensive new TVs!

There's still very little shown in HD.... 3D just isn't going to work/last.

Basically the concept behind 3D is to only allow each eye to view part of the image being displayed. This allows you to show slightly different angles of the image thus fooling the eyes/brain into thinking it is 3D.

This used to be done with the coloured glasses, by putting a piece of coloured plastic in front of each eye you could ensure that the left eye only saw the red part of the image and the left the cyan (or visa versa).

The problem with that was that it was colour dependant so you couldn't use much colour depth in your production, try watching Journey to the centre of the Earth on your TV in 3D and see how grey it all looks.

The new method gets around this but works on an identical principle, except instead of differentiating(sp) on colour it does it using polorization of light. Google that if you don't know what it is!

As a result you now either need a TV that is able to emit polorised light or you need a pair of glasses that have shutters over the eyes that flicker in time with the image alternating on the screen. The former is the one that will take of IMO, as for the latter you need to have a reliable refresh rate on the TV screen, CRTs are fine for this but the majority of LCDs and Plasmas don't have a reliable refresh rate, even if they say 50hz,60hz or 100hz they will still have variance in them.

As i am a Field tester for LG product, i will be testing it from 15th feb for two weeks so i will come back with some feedback, i also see it as a waste of money, 3D is good for movies in the Cinema but not good in your home for the money they ask for these types of TV's.

There's still very little shown in HD.... 3D just isn't going to work/last.

Throughout the 1950s and early 1960s my father insisted that commercial television was not going to last. No one would watch programmes that were interrupted by adverts.
In the 1930s John Campbell one of the founders of Science Fiction claimed that television would not catch on because the technology was too complex. He died in the 1970s watching television.
I believe that 3D in some form is very much the way of the future.

I believe that 3D in some form is very much the way of the future.

Eventually it will become some sort of holographic 4DTV in which you can move around and view from above, below or where ever you choose.

You will even be able to interact with the actors in real time.

You heard it here first.

Eventually it will become some sort of holographic 4DTV in which you can move around and view from above, below or where ever you choose.

You will even be able to interact with the actors in real time.

You heard it here first.

Why?

With al the investments made on wide screen plasmas and HD ready i think it will be a few years before people would bin them and go out and buy 3D ones .

Will you be able to plug your laptop into it ?

having seen a bit of 3d sport as part of an advertisement when i was at the cinema last night, I must admit its very impressive. However that was on a large screen so I don't know if it would be as good in the home.

Also according to this sky are launching their 3d channel on the 3rd April-seems a bit pointless though as nobody will have a 3d tv but the pubs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669