A question for those who would see Pearson sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
as far as i'm concerned, the most important point is this:

Pearson had two full seasons in his first spell. the first season, we were promoted as champions. the second, we made the play-offs. None of the managers since Adams had anything even remotely comparable to that kind of record. First season was in L1? who cares, go ask leeds, forest, sheff utd fans whether they'd have liked a manager who got them promoted as champs their first season down there.

the club let him leave, and sousa and eriksson couldn't get us close to what pearson achieved despite being given plenty of cash to spend.

we'd be crazy not to give pearson the full season this year given his record for us. he's by far the best manager we have had since O'neill imo, and his record supports that. plus we've played well so far this season, and were robbed at blackburn and to a lesser extent wolves.

A cliche that is often brought out in football debate is that you only get success if you give a manager time and the examples that are always used as justification for this belief are Arsene Wenger and Alex Ferguson.

It's always such a daft thing to say, too. Man United finished second in Ferguson's first full season, although admittedly it was followed by a couple of midtable seasons. And Wenger won the double in his first full season in charge of Arsenal. It isn't necessarily that these managers have been successful because they've been given time, but that they've been given time because they've been successful.

Two poor performances out of six matches and people want a new manager. Christ on a bike.

The amount of pressure piled on by the fans at this club is increasing each year. Are we getting too used to the manager being so dispensable? It wasn't like this a few years ago.

Booing the players off has, worryingly, become part of the culture at the KP, regardless of the team's form or league position.

...Look for instance at currently available managers such as Kevin Keegan, Mick McCarthy, Alan Curbishley and Steve Coppell...

I know you're not one of them, but this is part of the problem with the people calling for Pearson to be sacked- of the list above only one of them is realistically available. The actual list of applicants City would be able to attract if Pearson was sacked after such a short time is likely to have much less quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two poor performances out of six matches and people want a new manager. Christ on a bike.

The amount of pressure piled on by the fans at this club is increasing each year. Are we getting too used to the manager being so dispensable? It wasn't like this a few years ago.

Booing the players off has, worryingly, become part of the culture at the KP, regardless of the team's form or league position.

Someone made the point in another thread that a very depressing trend amongst fans is to simply label a player as shit or useless, just because he's having a below par run of form. I think SSL was the example used, for me the same negativity was directed at Matt James on Tuesday night. He didn't exactly set the game alight, but it got to the point where people around me groaned and mouthed off before he had even got the ball.

We have a young(ish) squad, booing and calling for their boss to be sacked is eventually going to get to them in a big way.

Sacking Pearson would be a huge mistake. I said it before but what on earth is wrong with a bit of patience in this scenario? I despise that we live in a world where a manager's job is under threat within six games of a new season. Granted, things weren't great last time around but then that was largely a squad put together by Eriksson.

If Pearson goes, a new man comes in with the same squad and achieves similar results. Players are shipped out, new ones come in and we go through it all again until a formula works.

Pearson has proved he can cut it in the Championship, not once but twice. He did just fine at Hull and in his two seasons here we won a league and then reached the play-offs. I find it absolutely ludicrous this is even being contemplated. For me he deserves a full season at least - otherwise, what on earth was the point in the first place?

Last edited:
I Personally don't think Pearsons posistion should even be in question at this stage, but i don't understand the argument being made against change.

If a manager isn't achieving what is expected of him, then there comes a point when there is no confidence in his ability to achieve. This isn't change for the sake of change. This is a choice between someone you can see is failing, and the likelihood of someone else suceeding.

Given the squad we have and the money spent i think the owners have a right to expect we should at least be competing for a playoff spot. If Pearson ever falls far short of this aim, it is not unreasonable to believe that someone else 'could' do better. However i don't think we are at that stage at the moment.

It is rare for managers to get sacked just because someone who is thought to be better is available, it's usually because there is no longer confidence in their ability to achieve what is expected.

as far as i'm concerned, the most important point is this:

Pearson had two full seasons in his first spell. the first season, we were promoted as champions. the second, we made the play-offs. None of the managers since Adams had anything even remotely comparable to that kind of record. First season was in L1? who cares, go ask leeds, forest, sheff utd fans whether they'd have liked a manager who got them promoted as champs their first season down there.

the club let him leave, and sousa and eriksson couldn't get us close to what pearson achieved despite being given plenty of cash to spend.

we'd be crazy not to give pearson the full season this year given his record for us. he's by far the best manager we have had since O'neill imo, and his record supports that. plus we've played well so far this season, and were robbed at blackburn and to a lesser extent wolves.

A wise and thoughtful post Calder. I hope you will post more often.

Who knows what Levein would have done with the backing Sven and now Pearson have? The stats don't mean much as they're not in any way relative.

I am a Pearson fan actually, but the fact is that he needs to get Leicester City in to the Premiership this season and the start and squad looks a tad short of that.

I have no idea why Nigel Pearson was invited back to Leicester. He is not the style of manager that I like, but nobody could suggest that his first stint was not successful. He took over the biggest team in the First Division, but one with little money, cobbled together a squad that gained promotion at the first attempt and, on the bounce squeezed into the Championship play-off positions.

Nothing in this, or the remainder of his managerial record suggests that his strength is taking a club with money, and creating instant success: something which is possible, but takes a certain type of manager.

Nigel Pearson has been in control for just short of a full year. He has had two transfer windows and spent a considerable amount of money. He has signed several good players - and some dross but, I would challenge anyone to put their hand on their heart and say that we are one micro-step nearer to promotion than the day that Sven walked out the door.

I have no idea why Nigel Pearson was invited back to Leicester. He is not the style of manager that I like, but nobody could suggest that his first stint was not successful. He took over the biggest team in the First Division, but one with little money, cobbled together a squad that gained promotion at the first attempt and, on the bounce squeezed into the Championship play-off positions.

Nothing in this, or the remainder of his managerial record suggests that his strength is taking a club with money, and creating instant success: something which is possible, but takes a certain type of manager.

Nigel Pearson has been in control for just short of a full year. He has had two transfer windows and spent a considerable amount of money. He has signed several good players - and some dross but, I would challenge anyone to put their hand on their heart and say that we are one micro-step nearer to promotion than the day that Sven walked out the door.

I don't see how anyone can make any kind of assessment on where we are this season after such a short amount of time.

It's depressing how quickly Adkins is under pressure at Southampton as well. I know teams need/want to stay up, but managers used to be able to take a team down and have a go at getting them back up. Blackpool are a good example.of his, they've stuck by Oli and he's had them in the playoffs every season since they got relegated, I think.

If a manager isn't achieving what is expected of him, then there comes a point when there is no confidence in his ability to achieve. This isn't change for the sake of change. This is a choice between someone you can see is failing, and the likelihood of someone else suceeding.

There are some that see us as under-performing and believe we will get better without a managerial change. And then there are some who see us as under-performing and do not believe we will get better without a managerial change. Both views are entirely valid. Both views are impossible to disprove without the benefit of clairvoyance.

However, only one of the groups decides to seize upon the other with inane and downright abusive comments. Those of you that think that changing the manager would be insanity and to call for it is an act of footballing treason and think the likes of me to be '****s' and so on, do not make an argument in favour of NP. You just think that change is somehow a bad thing.

There are hundreds of examples of changing a manager for the better, and hundreds of examples where it didn't work. As a principle, arguing one way or the other is pointless.

I like to judge what I see and develop an opinion. Time makes no difference whatsoever, if the evidence doesn't change. NP's impact last season was disappointing. I saw us against Peterborough this season and thought, oh dear, this isn't good. There were too many things wrong. We proceeded to lose four of our next five games demonstrating considerable deficiencies. In victory on Wednesday night, we demonstrated the same deficiencies. NP has a worse record than Sven, he's had almost a year and a substantial budget to improve things and I don't think we're any better now than we were a year ago. In many respects we're quite a bit worse. For example, there is evidence that many good players are not fulfilling their potential working for him. The shape of the side is poor. We're not organised defensively at all. We're a soft touch, without a physical presence except for Morgan. And so on.

If something is plainly not working, I'm someone who believes in attempting to fix it by doing something being more likely to be effective than hoping it corrects itself.

I think I posted on here after one game of Sousa's reign calling for him to be sacked and got dogs abuse for it. But it was a view I was entitled to. I wanted Taylor out in the close season before the 0-5 reverse to Bolton where the majority turned on him. But I've also been totally wrong in my judgements, though I can't recall one about a City manager being proved wrong for some time.

The Thai's are the only ones with an opinion that matters and I think they've made understandable and valid firing decisions when they've made them, but very poor hiring decisions.

I wouldn't be surprised to see NP sacked at some point soon. In fact, I think he probably deserves to be. If this makes me a **** or similar in some people's eyes, so be it.

A final point I'd make is that I've never believed that NP has got what it takes to manage at the top level. He's a dour, predictable, safe manager. This influences my opinion in that even if he did somehow get these players into a play off that we were successful in, our subsequent performance at the higher level would be disasterous. So if this is my view, why not advocate looking for someone who could potentially do better? There are some highly capable managers out there that would jump at the chance of this job and who would be more likely (in my view) of getting some success out of the players we have.

Nige is capable of maintaining a sequence of good results when he gets the ball rolling.The problem is,just as last year with us,he let the other teams get too far ahead before he started the chase.With your spending and the players available it seems incredible that most of you seem to think the play offs would represent success.
Blackburn,Wolves and yourselves should be steamrollering the opposition.
Nige seems to thrive with little known players and achieving above expectations.This is not your situation.

PS Peter Taylor was brilliant for us.I wouldn"t want him back.In Italy we say re-heated ministrone somehow does not work

There are some that see us as under-performing and believe we will get better without a managerial change. And then there are some who see us as under-performing and do not believe we will get better without a managerial change. Both views are entirely valid. Both views are impossible to disprove without the benefit of clairvoyance.

However, only one of the groups decides to seize upon the other with inane and downright abusive comments. Those of you that think that changing the manager would be insanity and to call for it is an act of footballing treason and think the likes of me to be '****s' and so on, do not make an argument in favour of NP. You just think that change is somehow a bad thing.

There are hundreds of examples of changing a manager for the better, and hundreds of examples where it didn't work. As a principle, arguing one way or the other is pointless.

I like to judge what I see and develop an opinion. Time makes no difference whatsoever, if the evidence doesn't change. NP's impact last season was disappointing. I saw us against Peterborough this season and thought, oh dear, this isn't good. There were too many things wrong. We proceeded to lose four of our next five games demonstrating considerable deficiencies. In victory on Wednesday night, we demonstrated the same deficiencies. NP has a worse record than Sven, he's had almost a year and a substantial budget to improve things and I don't think we're any better now than we were a year ago. In many respects we're quite a bit worse. For example, there is evidence that many good players are not fulfilling their potential working for him. The shape of the side is poor. We're not organised defensively at all. We're a soft touch, without a physical presence except for Morgan. And so on.

If something is plainly not working, I'm someone who believes in attempting to fix it by doing something being more likely to be effective than hoping it corrects itself.

I think I posted on here after one game of Sousa's reign calling for him to be sacked and got dogs abuse for it. But it was a view I was entitled to. I wanted Taylor out in the close season before the 0-5 reverse to Bolton where the majority turned on him. But I've also been totally wrong in my judgements, though I can't recall one about a City manager being proved wrong for some time.

The Thai's are the only ones with an opinion that matters and I think they've made understandable and valid firing decisions when they've made them, but very poor hiring decisions.

I wouldn't be surprised to see NP sacked at some point soon. In fact, I think he probably deserves to be. If this makes me a **** or similar in some people's eyes, so be it.

A final point I'd make is that I've never believed that NP has got what it takes to manage at the top level. He's a dour, predictable, safe manager. This influences my opinion in that even if he did somehow get these players into a play off that we were successful in, our subsequent performance at the higher level would be disasterous. So if this is my view, why not advocate looking for someone who could potentially do better? There are some highly capable managers out there that would jump at the chance of this job and who would be more likely (in my view) of getting some success out of the players we have.

Hence why I tried ti phrase this post in a non abusive way.

Out of intesrest, why do you think they would jump at the chance to manage us?

Hence why I tried ti phrase this post in a non abusive way.

Out of intesrest, why do you think they would jump at the chance to manage us?

Also, the problem with people who constantly want managers sacked quickly, as you mentioned above, is that eventually they will fail and be sacked leaving you feeling you were correct. Managers will never stay and be successful forever.

Nige is capable of maintaining a sequence of good results when he gets the ball rolling.The problem is,just as last year with us,he let the other teams get too far ahead before he started the chase.With your spending and the players available it seems incredible that most of you seem to think the play offs would represent success.
Blackburn,Wolves and yourselves should be steamrollering the opposition.
Nige seems to thrive with little known players and achieving above expectations.This is not your situation.

PS Peter Taylor was brilliant for us.I wouldn"t want him back.In Italy we say re-heated ministrone somehow does not work

The first post is actually a good one. Interesting to see that an outsider thinks we should "steamroller" the division. (I think you were being serious).

The second post was almost funny but the message is a good one.

More of that and you can stay!

The first post is actually a good one. Interesting to see that an outsider thinks we should "steamroller" the division. (I think you were being serious).

The second post was almost funny but the message is a good one.

More of that and you can stay!

I thought they were cafe's most sensible posts on here. That isn't saying much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669