Confirmed Transfer Abdul Fatawu on loan

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club can confirm the signing of Abdul Fatawu, with the winger joining on a season-long loan from Sporting Lisbon, subject to league and international clearance.

The promising 19-year-old Ghanaian arrives at King Power Stadium having impressed at domestic and international level in the early stages of his career and will now link up with Enzo Maresca’s squad for the 2023/24 Sky Bet Championship season.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Fatawu said: “I’m so happy. This is an amazing moment for me, I’m happy to be here. For me, from looking at Leicester and how I felt about the coach, here is the best place for me.

“This was the best moment for me to join Leicester. I chose them because I think they can grow me and help me mature. [Enzo Maresca] told me about the plans he has for me and how he wants me to play – how he wants to help me in my football.”

Born in the Ghanaian city of Tamale, Fatawu started his senior career with Steadfast FC, and quickly established himself as one of his country’s most exciting talents.

His displays for Steadfast FC earned him a loan move to Ghanaian Premier Division side Dreams FC in October 2021, where he continued his fine form before switching to Sporting Lisbon in April 2022.

He made his senior debut for the Portuguese side against Rio Ave in August 2022, and featured in their UEFA Champions League campaign last term.

He enjoyed international success in March 2021 when he helped Ghana’s Under-20 team to win the Africa Under-20 Cup of Nations, where he was named player of the tournament.

At senior level, he has represented his country on 14 occasions, and featured at last year’s FIFA World Cup in Qatar.

Similar to the last two wingers, never heard of him but it’s a position we need strengthening, so fingers crossed.

I’m not sure we need Albrighton any more.

I like the cut of his jib.

I hope he's a good Steadfast player for us.

No idea if he is any good but great to see another winger come in and finally give us a number of options in those areas.

I guess we might see Madivadua or McAteer go out on loan to give them regular game time??

Wingers, at last we have wingers!

Like our new Turkish friend (whose name I will eventually learn...), I'm happy with this kind of signing. Young, good background, can see the potential - and the setup of the deal feels relatively risk free to us.

It's interesting with the 3 wingers we've brought in that Mavididi is permanent and that the other two are on very similarly structured loan to buy deals.

You'd expect with the fact he's the one brought in on a permanent deal, plus his age and the fact we got him in early, that Mavididi is first choice of the three... I wonder if we've then been quite shrewd with the setup of these two loan deals, because it means we can rotate/give opportunities to both and then sign the best one or both if they cut it. Or if they both do a job for this season but we don't see the long term, we can simply rotate between them without triggering the mandatory purchase option.

We've been stung by having wingers on these deals before. I think it was with Under where he did okay but then we completely dropped him because we didn't want to sign him permanently but had no other option so made ourselves worse off in the process

Leicester City Football Club can confirm the signing of Abdul Fatawu, with the winger joining on a season-long loan from Sporting Lisbon, subject to league and international clearance.

The promising 19-year-old Ghanaian arrives at King Power Stadium having impressed at domestic and international level in the early stages of his career and will now link up with Enzo Maresca’s squad for the 2023/24 Sky Bet Championship season.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Fatawu said: “I’m so happy. This is an amazing moment for me, I’m happy to be here. For me, from looking at Leicester and how I felt about the coach, here is the best place for me.

“This was the best moment for me to join Leicester. I chose them because I think they can grow me and help me mature. [Enzo Maresca] told me about the plans he has for me and how he wants me to play – how he wants to help me in my football.”

Born in the Ghanaian city of Tamale, Fatawu started his senior career with Steadfast FC, and quickly established himself as one of his country’s most exciting talents.

His displays for Steadfast FC earned him a loan move to Ghanaian Premier Division side Dreams FC in October 2021, where he continued his fine form before switching to Sporting Lisbon in April 2022.

He made his senior debut for the Portuguese side against Rio Ave in August 2022, and featured in their UEFA Champions League campaign last term.

He enjoyed international success in March 2021 when he helped Ghana’s Under-20 team to win the Africa Under-20 Cup of Nations, where he was named player of the tournament.

At senior level, he has represented his country on 14 occasions, and featured at last year’s FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
Steadfast annnnnd Dreams FC.

I’m hard.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363