Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

RN Fox

We used to get good info on the Academy - iI hear the u18s and u16s are doing well anyone seen them recently?

indierich06

Top story on the OS

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~2002277,00.html

Academy Still Unbeaten
Posted on: Mon 22 Mar 2010

A second half equaliser from Adi Yussuf protected the Academy side's astonishing undefeated league run in their 1-1 draw against West Ham at Belvoir Drive on Saturday.

The City boys started a bit slowly and found themselves a goal down in ten minutes, the Hammers converting a close-range chance but they responded to the setback very positively, playing some good, attractive football although they were still behind at the break.

City dominated after the interval and after Yussuf's leveller there were chances to tip the balance City's way but it did not quite happen. However, to retain the undefeated record was, in itself, a superb achievement and they now look ahead to a tough trip to face Southampton on Friday.

Fox Fan

The academy always seem to be doing well, but what's really come of it?

Apart from Stearman & Heskey I don't think any other Leicester Academy players are up in the Premiership. And even at Championship standard there isn't a great deal. Mattock & Jordan Stewart spring to mind, but not much beyond that.

Seems strange considering we keep winning :102:

GazLCFC

Apart from Stearman & Heskey I don't think any other Leicester Academy players are up in the Premiership. And even at Championship standard there isn't a great deal. Mattock & Jordan Stewart spring to mind, but not much beyond that.

Seems strange considering we keep winning :102:

King?

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member

Tommy Wright :icon_wink

I've read a few academy reports from the opposition's point of view, and they always seem to describe the Leicester team as "big and strong". Maybe we're favouring size and strength over skill, which is why they succeed at youth level but can't make the grade higher up.

Fox Fan

Tommy Wright :icon_wink

I've read a few academy reports from the opposition's point of view, and they always seem to describe the Leicester team as "big and strong". Maybe we're favouring size and strength over skill, which is why they succeed at youth level but can't make the grade higher up.

Seems reasonable.

It is pretty surprising really when you consider out of the last 15-20 years of our academy only 2 players have managed to make it in the top flight. I guess you could add someone like Matt Piper to the list as he had to retire through injury.

Doggie_muz

Who is involved with our academy players on a day to day basis? Is it all down to Rudkin, Beaglehole and Peake?

Whoever it is, seems like they're doing a pretty good job.

Joe_Fox

Sounds like a step by step guide to Victorian intercourse.

Sounds like a Welsh farmers average Saturday night with the sheep to me.

pork pie fox

I'm told that Mr Redknapp isn't happy that a club like Leicester can be outperforming a club with the resources that Spurs have and subsequently recalled some loanees ahead of the match between the 2 sides (which finished 1-1)

I also know that the policy (certainly at the younger ages) is not just to prioritise "big and strong" players but to go more for technique based players. Not sure what they do by the time they're getting to under-18 level though.

drummindefender

And even Stearman is struggling in the Premiership

fox58

apparently lost to F****t on Pens in their playoff

RN Fox

Gutted by that result but the 18s play a long ball game that saw them battered by Liverpool in the Youth Cup quarter final. The 16s are decent too but they play a similar long ball game.

Profondo Rosso

And even Stearman is struggling in the Premiership

To be fair, Heskey has been nowhere near Premier League standard for the past 5 years. The fact Wigan fans labelled him as good enough tells its own story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670