Aleksandar Tunchev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Alexander Tunchev

Strictly embargoed until 10am on Monday, July 7.

Tunchev Deal Done

Bulgarian International Joins Foxes

Leicester City have today beaten off a host of high-profile European clubs to the signature of Bulgarian international central defender Aleksandar Tunchev from CSKA Sofia for an undisclosed fee.

Tunchev, who last season captained CSKA to the A Grupa title, has signed a three-year contract with the Foxes.

The 26-year-old played a major part in Bulgaria's EURO 2008 qualification campaign, and has amassed a total of 15 caps for his country since making his international debut in 2006.

Tunchev, who stands at 6'2", becomes manager Nigel Pearson's fourth capture of the summer - following Michael Morrison, Lloyd Dyer and Nicky Adams through the doors at the Walkers Stadium.

Pearson said: "This is a major transfer coup for us and we are delighted to welcome Alex to the club.

"He is a strong and experienced and will be an excellent addition to our squad."

Chief Executive Lee Hoos added: "We have had to work very hard on this deal. There was a lot of interest in Alex from clubs across Europe, but he has kept to his word and it is fantastic to have him here.

"To be in a position where we are still able to attract this calibre of player is a testament to the size of this football club."

And Chairman Milan Mandaric also expressed his delight with the capture.

He said: “Alex has totally bought into our vision for the future. Of course, our immediate aim is to gain promotion back to the Championship, but he can see beyond that. That’s the sort of mentality that we want around this place.

“This deal is the product of a lot of hard work and I am sure Alex will become a real favourite with our fantastic supporters.”

The player enjoyed spells at Hebar Pazardzhik, Belasitsa Petric and Lokomotiv Plovdiv before joining CSKA in 2005.

As Bulgaria is not in the EU, the deal is subject to the player obtaining a work permit.

ENDS

Please note: The player has now travelled back to Bulgaria in order to obtain his work permit. We are hoping that he will be back with us towards the end of the week - at which point we will put him up for interview. Nigel Pearson will not be doing any press today, but again will be available towards the end of the week.

And before anyone asks - it is already on the official site.

Last edited:

Sound familiar.......?

Leicester City have today beaten off a host of high-profile European clubs

"This is a major transfer coup for us

Quotes from both Hoos and Mandaric, and not a dickie bird from the supposed manager of the team

Super stuff :icon_lol:

Last edited:

Sound familiar.......?

Quotes from both Hoos and Mandaric, and not a dickie bird from the supposed manager of the team

Super stuff :icon_lol:

Pearson said: "This is a major transfer coup for us and we are delighted to welcome Alex to the club.

"He is a strong and experienced and will be an excellent addition to our squad."

?

I think I know how the deal is being funded! The Leicester City TEXT service has already sent out the same text about the deal 3 times - at 25p a pop they just need to send it to me 320,000 more times.

Funnily enough the text doesn't mention that its subject to him getting a work permit ... still they can send that out later!

?

Yeah, so I can't read properly

What of it ?

As Bulgaria is not in the EU, the deal is subject to the player obtaining a work permit.

ENDS

Please note: The player has now travelled back to Bulgaria in order to obtain his work permit. We are hoping that he will be back with us towards the end of the week - at which point we will put him up for interview. Nigel Pearson will not be doing any press today, but again will be available towards the end of the week.

I don't understand this comment.Bulgaria has been in the EU since January 2007. He doesn't need a work permit!?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6220591.stm

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't understand this comment.Bulgaria has been in the EU since January 2007. He doesn't need a work permit!?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6220591.stm

Have you read the BBC article?

"Most of the 15 older EU member states have put in place restrictions on the free movement of workers from the two new members - though Finland and Sweden are two exceptions. "

If the usual rules are followed, Tunchev will be granted a work permit if he has played in 75% of his country's internationals in the last two years.

I think they had a block on workers though to stop the influx into the UK of migrant workers.

I think they had a block on workers though to stop the influx into the UK of migrant workers.

Hopefully, this will not mark the beginning of the UK being swamped with Bulgarian central defenders.

I can't see a problem here - it will be interesting to see the impact on our agent's fees for this financial year. I'll see if I can get a bet on that we are number one in this respect in the Third Division - worth at least an each way wager methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669