Allen announces captain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning to all our supporters.

Yesterday evening I had a meeting with Stephen Clemence to offer him the prestigious position of team captain. I did this after consultation with Bruno N'Gotty, Radostin Kishishev, Iain Hume, Richard Stearman and of course all the staff - including Macca the kit man and Elv the bus driver.

I wanted a man that was respected by everyone. He brings leadership qualities as he leads by example. He is calm, unflustered and is steady and stable off the field. He is not an ostentatious flashy Jack the Lad type and he has experience of leading a team and taking them to the division above.

Stephen himself was chuffed to bits when I told him and I am sure he is going to do me, himself and this Football Club proud.
Take care,
Martin
I think the bit in bold is the most revealing - did Allen see Stearman as one of the contenders for club captain? Or am I reading that wrong? It has been interesting to see Stearman being tried in so many different positions so far. I get the impression that MA is trying to shoe-horn him in the team somewhere...

Oh, and nice to see that Elvis is now driving the bus! Hope he doesn't feck that up as well...

From what I hear Desert, Richard Stearman is a bit of a changed man and the way he is conducting himself has been massively improved. Marrtin Allen likes him a lot. TBH if Dickie plays like we know he can then I like him a lot too.

I think the bit in bold is the most revealing - did Allen see Stearman as one of the contenders for club captain? Or am I reading that wrong? It has been interesting to see Stearman being tried in so many different positions so far. I get the impression that MA is trying to shoe-horn him in the team somewhere...

Oh, and nice to see that Elvis is now driving the bus! Hope he doesn't feck that up as well...

He also says "I wanted a man that was respected by everyone."

from the four players mentioned he's covered most grounds
N'Gotty - old head
Kishishev - new lad
Hume - Last year's best player
Stearman - "one for the future"

He'll be fine until he tries to get it between the gateposts:icon_bigg

Stearman has been tried at centre back, central midfield and right midfield so far in pre-season - I don't think he's actually played at right back yet, has he?

But a motivated, in form Stearman might well get in somewhere. I think Weso is up for the challenge as well and sounds like he's doing well in pre season.

But neither of those two would be in most people's first eleven at the moment, which, in itself, is pretty exciting.

Hurrah!

Stearman has been tried at centre back, central midfield and right midfield so far in pre-season - I don't think he's actually played at right back yet, has he?

But a motivated, in form Stearman might well get in somewhere. I think Weso is up for the challenge as well and sounds like he's doing well in pre season.

But neither of those two would be in most people's first eleven at the moment, which, in itself, is pretty exciting.

Hurrah!

He has played at RB. Certainly home v Wolves..... More too I'm sure.

if i had to choose who was captain then it would be between N'gotty and clemence so i wasn't bothered who got it out of them two

With Stearman the money went to his head in his 2nd season, but on seeing him out on the town he looks like hes taking it easier, drinking water etc. If hes willing to put in the effort he wins my vote!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the bit in bold is the most revealing - did Allen see Stearman as one of the contenders for club captain? Or am I reading that wrong? It has been interesting to see Stearman being tried in so many different positions so far. I get the impression that MA is trying to shoe-horn him in the team somewhere.....

Yes, agree with Desert above. Another interesting contribution to this thread has been Alex (page1) & lukey (above) both saying that Stearman has buckled down & been seen in town sipping water rather than being wasted. Prior to reading these posts I wanted Stearman OUT of the club as quickly as possible as I saw him guilty of lack of effort and lack of professionalism last season (including off the field behaviour, being wasted etc afffecting his game as well as poor attitude). Playing in a poor team was little excuse: Hume, McCauley, Kinsboro to name but 3 were able to play consistently well. However if Allen has been able to put an arm round Stearman's shoulder and have a quiet word to him & Stearman has taken serious note, I for one am prepared to give him another chance. Good on the lad if he has learned the error of his ways & comes good again. Big 'if' though. It's up to him now.

Last edited:
Yes, agree with Desert above. Another interesting contribution to this thread has been Alex (page1) & lukey (above) both saying that Stearman has buckled down & been seen in town sipping water rather than being wasted. Prior to reading these posts I wanted Stearman OUT of the club as quickly as possible as I saw him guilty of lack of effort and lack of professionalism last season (including off the field behaviour, being wasted etc afffecting his game as well as poor attitude). Playing in a poor team was little excuse: Hume, McCauley, Kinsboro to name but 3 were able to play consistently well. However if Allen has been able to put an arm round Stearman's shoulder and have a quiet word to him & Stearman has taken serious note, I for one am prepared to give him another chance. Good on the lad if he has learned the error of his ways & comes good again. Big 'if' though. It's up to him now.
Could agree more Consty!

Stearman was probably asked because (unless i'm mistaken) he is our longest serving player.

With Stearman the money went to his head in his 2nd season, but on seeing him out on the town he looks like hes taking it easier, drinking water etc. If hes willing to put in the effort he wins my vote!

That's only because he double drops before he goes out now!! :icon_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670