And about bloody time

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

Thank Dawkins football is back. It has been a long time. I know there was a Women's World Cup this summer but I took a silly macho attitude to that - which with hindsight I regret.

I love the summer and it has many pleasures but for me they are all gentle pleasures. Football is a fierce pleasure. I have to be at the matches. There are people who support Leicester from afar and it works for them. I cannot do that. For me the phrase "live television" is wrong. It is only live when you are there.

It is almost embarrassing how much I look forward to a new season. There are 19 days to come when I will get up knowing there is something special that day. There are other special days but for me they usually involve getting up at some horrible hour to go somewhere and often involve preparation.

I get a frisson walking toward the stadium and then when I see the pitch. The group of people around me are part of the experience and very good company. Ron in front of me is wise in the ways of football whereas Mick next to me makes me laugh. There will be banter with others - I am always pleased to see them and I think they are pleased to see me. There is some talk about the selection - "good Ulloa is starting I would always have a big man up front".

Mahrez and Albrighton will go down the wing - I enjoy wing play. I like to see good tackles so I will enjoy watching Huth. I look forward to seeing Marcin try to look innocent - with his face it never works.

There is tension. When I go to the opera I know Madame Butterfly will die; when I go the movies I know James Bond will live. I really have no idea what the result will be against Sunderland or how we will do this season. I do know that there will be moments of joy moments of exasperation and moments of sheer anger. After nearly 50 years of supporting Leicester I will relish every moment - those who leave at 37 minutes to get a half time drink baffle me.

I will enjoy the forum People will have gone to the match and seen it quite differently to me. People will get angry. Pavarotti was asked what opera and football have in common and he replied "Passion".

Yes the football season is over and about bloody time.

"

Macho?

I see you in a different light. I now picture you with a moustache, punching a kitten in the face.

Let's all have a new season group hug.

Madam Butterfly dies ?

Thanks for ruining my evening out, Gwilliam

Excellent post that perfectly summarises that that those who never been to a football game and do not support a team simply do not understand.

I include several thousand, probably million, Manchester United fans in that.

Thank Dawkins football is back. It has been a long time. I know there was a Women's World Cup this summer but I took a silly macho attitude to that - which with hindsight I regret.

I love the summer and it has many pleasures but for me they are all gentle pleasures. Football is a fierce pleasure. I have to be at the matches. There are people who support Leicester from afar and it works for them. I cannot do that. For me the phrase "live television" is wrong. It is only live when you are there.

It is almost embarrassing how much I look forward to a new season. There are 19 days to come when I will get up knowing there is something special that day. There are other special days but for me they usually involve getting up at some horrible hour to go somewhere and often involve preparation.

I get a frisson walking toward the stadium and then when I see the pitch. The group of people around me are part of the experience and very good company. Ron in front of me is wise in the ways of football whereas Mick next to me makes me laugh. There will be banter with others - I am always pleased to see them and I think they are pleased to see me. There is some talk about the selection - "good Ulloa is starting I would always have a big man up front".

Mahrez and Albrighton will go down the wing - I enjoy wing play. I like to see good tackles so I will enjoy watching Huth. I look forward to seeing Marcin try to look innocent - with his face it never works.

There is tension. When I go to the opera I know Madame Butterfly will die; when I go the movies I know James Bond will live. I really have no idea what the result will be against Sunderland or how we will do this season. I do know that there will be moments of joy moments of exasperation and moments of sheer anger. After nearly 50 years of supporting Leicester I will relish every moment - those who leave at 37 minutes to get a half time drink baffle me.

I will enjoy the forum People will have gone to the match and seen it quite differently to me. People will get angry. Pavarotti was asked what opera and football have in common and he replied "Passion".

Yes the football season is over and about bloody time.

"
I see you get a frisson walking towards the stadium. Any good ? I usually have a couple of pre match beers and the occasional rat- burger if I haven't had time to eat earlier.

What a fantastic sentiment DG. Sums up everything I feel. What a great day! Shirtsleeves, City, sunshine and a beer. What a great day!

Did I mention it's a great day?

I get a frisson walking toward the stadium

Don't know why, maybe it's my age, but I sometimes get confused over these foreign words brought into the English language. When I first read this 'frisure' popped into my mind and all kinds of images of David's new style ran riot.

I've just read DGs wonderful post and note that it was sent at 1.19am on Saturday morning, it reminds me of the people that I sit with in SK1, great people who appear to have been there for years and have been great to me since I joined them having been banished from my seat in a box five years ago and BERNIE turns up most games just below us and far enough away. I also have looked forward to this season wondering with a new manager how would we go, well first up we attacked superbly and apart from 2 glaring errors we defended OK not sure we can do that against most teams but who cares we are in the premier league and not many would have expected that in late Feb. Oh by the way what is a frisson ? and Derby have just lost in the C1 Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566