Andy King (really this time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxCovert

Feature on Football League Weekend sky sports 1. Interview with Andy and a few highlights. Was on at 5:30. Repeated 11:30 tonight.

As the presenter said Andy King did come across as a very mature 22 year old. Very positive about Sven.

Did I miss the news about Chris Short joining as a Fitness Coach?

It is wonderful to see a young lad such as King acting with such wisdom. As previously pointed out on this board his forcing down of Waghorn's shirt displayed a maturity beyond his years. As did his interview tonight, he came across as careful and measured. I'm delighted at both his captaincy and the run that we've had under it. If Andy keeps progressing along this path we'll have one hell of a player on our hands. I just hope that this maturity extends beyond his game and into his career choices. It would be sensible to say that, at this point his career, he looks capable of both playing and earning big, and, come January, our resolve to keep Mr King may be tested by Premier League teams. In this instance it'd be easy, and tempting, for King to take better money and become a lesser part of a squad, but I think his future lies in learning a bit more about his trade, and ours is the club best suited to him doing that.

It is wonderful to see a young lad such as King acting with such wisdom. As previously pointed out on this board his forcing down of Waghorn's shirt displayed a maturity beyond his years. As did his interview tonight, he came across as careful and measured. I'm delighted at both his captaincy and the run that we've had under it. If Andy keeps progressing along this path we'll have one hell of a player on our hands. I just hope that this maturity extends beyond his game and into his career choices. It would be sensible to say that, at this point his career, he looks capable of both playing and earning big, and, come January, our resolve to keep Mr King may be tested by Premier League teams. In this instance it'd be easy, and tempting, for King to take better money and become a lesser part of a squad, but I think his future lies in learning a bit more about his trade, and ours is the club best suited to him doing that.

Unfortunately for us it doesn't work quite like that.

At 22 he'll want to be playing at the highest level possible - rather than wait until it will be probably a bit too late. So much will depend as to whether we have a chance of promotion this season. If that is the case it would be perfect for him to stay with a club where he's going to get regular football at that level.

Alternatively - and not for the first time - we are getting slightly carried away and Premier League clubs will decide that he's good - but not that good. It's not so long ago (about 5 minutes) that people were saying that he didn't contribute enough, can't tackle, blah, blah, blah.

Unfortunately for us it doesn't work quite like that.

At 22 he'll want to be playing at the highest level possible - rather than wait until it will be probably a bit too late. So much will depend as to whether we have a chance of promotion this season. If that is the case it would be perfect for him to stay with a club where he's going to get regular football at that level.

Alternatively - and not for the first time - we are getting slightly carried away and Premier League clubs will decide that he's good - but not that good. It's not so long ago (about 5 minutes) that people were saying that he didn't contribute enough, can't tackle, blah, blah, blah.

Given the current mood around the Club with Sven in charge and ambitious owners with a few quid, this is too cynical even for me. :icon_conf

Given the current mood around the Club with Sven in charge and ambitious owners with a few quid, this is too cynical even for me. :icon_conf

Its not about Sven in charge; its not about moods - its not even about the ambition of the owners. It's all about players having most of the power these days and talented players having all of it. It's called the state of the market.

If someone becomes a 'hot property' in the game then a Premier League club will test the resolve of the lower division club. The player is a professional not a Leicester City supporter - and as such he and his agent will want the best deal going and the player in particular will want to play at the highest level.

I'm talking about the general - and not making a judgement about King specifically - in fact I've always rated him and particularly his goal contribution from mid field.

Too be honest with you - I would guess you are old enough and seen enough of the way of the world - not to regard this as cynicism. Just realism.

Let's hope he stays - and we get promotion and he becomes a long term building block - not that there is much long termism around in the current game.

Its not about Sven in charge; its not about moods - its not even about the ambition of the owners. It's all about players having most of the power these days and talented players having all of it. It's called the state of the market.

If someone becomes a 'hot property' in the game then a Premier League club will test the resolve of the lower division club. The player is a professional not a Leicester City supporter - and as such he and his agent will want the best deal going and the player in particular will want to play at the highest level.

I'm talking about the general - and not making a judgement about King specifically - in fact I've always rated him and particularly his goal contribution from mid field.

Too be honest with you - I would guess you are old enough and seen enough of the way of the world - not to regard this as cynicism. Just realism.

Let's hope he stays - and we get promotion and he becomes a long term building block - not that there is much long termism around in the current game.

I just want a sense of "realism" that does not sell off our better players. :icon_conf

I just want a sense of "realism" that does not sell off our better players. :icon_conf

Of course you do. But the reality of football is that if we wanted to get a player from a club like say Tranmere then its odds on that it will happen.

Conversely, all the Championship clubs and quite a number of Premier League clubs are vulnerable if one of the wealthier Premier Leagues sides wants one of their players ...and indeed every club without exception has a price it will accept for any given player.

But I'm not saying for a second that Andy King is near the top of big clubs shopping lists. All I'm pointing out is that he will almost certainly want to play in the Premier League and that at 22 years he is unlikely to think that he ought to spend a few more years 'learning his trade'....... if the right club and offer came calling.

This is not about us being a 'selling club' - that still remains to be seen (although I have a long memory of what has happened in the past!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669