Andy King to Everton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lescott moved out of the Championship for £5m

Exactly and he'd earn a lot more acclaim and awards at the time than King has. I think we'd probably get around £3mil for King.

Exactly and he'd earn a lot more acclaim and awards at the time than King has. I think we'd probably get around £3mil for King.

Anyone who thinks that we'd get £10m (or more!) for King is having an absolute giraffe.

If we got an offer anywhere near £5m I think we'd sell, both due to it being a decent offer and he'd probably want to make the step up.

Like PR says, I'd expect £3/£4m + add-ons.

er...

:102:

says who?

I live in Liverpool so I've got a few Evertonian mates. They're not calling for his blood but a few think he's not been the player of the past few seasons.

I'm not saying they're demanding King as a replacement for Cahill because Cahill's crap I'm just saying they're midfield isn't as strong as the names on paper suggest.

There is a danger this could be read into too much. It is only the Daily Mail. Plus it's not a hugh surprise that Premiership clubs would be watching a young Welshman (Englishman) who's started scoring goals for fun in the top half of the Championship.

Not going up last season led to upheaval. Given the structure of our squad which is largely based on short termism then failure to go up this year will also lead to upheaval.

If we don't go up, King would be a fool not to grab the chance of joining an established Premier League club like Everton....and we will certainly sell him if the price is right. Realistic value is around £3m with potential add ons.

If we don't go up and the price is right, I have no problem. Everton have a history under Moyes of bringing on younger players from the lower leagues and making them consistent Premiership footballers. Always gives them a fair crack too.

Worth a lot more than 3 million. Goal scoring midfielders are not very common and he is one of the best in this league and still young.

As for him definitely leaving in august....Sven might well be building a squad to piss all over this league and offering kingy a nice bumper contract. If kingy had the choice between, say, a wigan or a Leicester I can't see him leaving.

I think it would take a top 8 club for him to leave. I suspect he loves Sven and the club and will get a big contract if he wants it.

Would be a shame to see him leave. He is the best player we have had in nearly a decade.

Worth a lot more than 3 million. Goal scoring midfielders are not very common and he is one of the best in this league and still young.

As for him definitely leaving in august....Sven might well be building a squad to piss all over this league and offering kingy a nice bumper contract. If kingy had the choice between, say, a wigan or a Leicester I can't see him leaving.

I think it would take a top 8 club for him to leave. I suspect he loves Sven and the club and will get a big contract if he wants it.

Would be a shame to see him leave. He is the best player we have had in nearly a decade.

I'd love him to be worth a lot more than £3m, but I really don't think he is. The value that people would actually spend on him is unlikely to be far in excess of this, given he's never played at the top level.

Also, and this is pure speculation (so fits aptly in this thread), I'm not sure how loyal King would be if a club like Wigan did come in. Whatever we may say and feel about long term prospects, a lot of players would jump at the opportunity to play at the top level. Assuming money is similar, there's no reason for King to stay, as he'll know that if he really is good enough for that level then he'll show it at any club.

Why do people continue to attribute the same emotional attachments of supporters to those who are paid to play their current employers? All the evidence points to the contrary. Of course players say that they love the club blah, blah , blah...because its part of the PR expected of them.

I would have thought that we could keep King only if we get promoted. This is against the odds but far from impossible.

If we don't, we won't be fielding the same bunch of players anyway and any idea that Sven can put together a squad to walk the league next season is totally speculative. I guess at least another 10 clubs would have similar ambitions.

why are people so accepting of losing our best players? we need to keep players like king if we to mount a challenge again next season, I dont see cardiff selling players after a few failed promotion campaigns and in my view we a bigger club than them with a bigger name manager.

if king were to be sold, I think anything under at least 4 million would be an insult. Since we supposedbly dont need the money I would slap a silly price tag on him like 10 million and say come and get him for that price or bugger off.

Last edited:
why are people so accepting of losing our best players? we need to keep players like king if we to mount a challenge again next season, I dont see cardiff selling players after a few failed promotion campaigns and in my view we a bigger club than them with a bigger name manager.

if king were to be sold, I think anything under at least 4 million would be an insult. Since we supposedbly dont need the money I would slap a silly price tag on him like 10 million and say come and get him for that price or bugger off.

Good stuff......but it normally comes down as to whether the player and his agent want the move. We already know that the supporters wouldn't like it. We don't know what the financial strategy of the owners would be in the event of us not getting promotion.

No disrespect to Cardiff as they have a very strong squad at this level, but they don't have any players who I would imagine stand out as much as King. Bothroyd is a quality Championship player but has had chances in the Premier League, Chopra spent a couple of years at Sunderland, Whittingham (according to Rhydal) wasn't as good as his stats suggested, and all of these were older than King. Given their financial status any offers would have probably been accepted, and yet they weren't forthcoming (as far as I know).

And as has been seen many times, if someone comes in and King fancies it, it's unlikely we'll be able to stand in the way and it will simply be a negotiation.

they had at least one offer for whittingham, and apparently he wanted to leave (refused to sign new contract), the club stuck to their guns.

if we did the same here it could go either way, king would either eventually accept it and carry on playing well or he could do what lescott did with everton and play some shockers until sold.

Why do people continue to attribute the same emotional attachments of supporters to those who are paid to play their current employers? All the evidence points to the contrary. Of course players say that they love the club blah, blah , blah...because its part of the PR expected of them.

Well, if we are going to use the employee metaphor:

If I worked at a company that had brought me up through the ranks, had bunches of ambition and were hiring the management and staff to support their ambitious claims all while insisting I am a vital piece of the plan...I'd be loathe to leave it.

Add in that I might be settled in the region, enjoy my coworkers, and knew that if I performed to my level I'd be paid handsomely and might even get rewarded with a leadership position.

I suppose what I am saying is this: If I were in Andy King's position professionally, it would take a massive raise and a massive promotion to dislodge me from a club that is familiar and that is clearly going places.

It's less about looking at it from a fan's perspective and more from a "what would I do professionally?" perspective.

If I worked at a company that had brought me up through the ranks, had bunches of ambition and were hiring the management and staff to support their ambitious claims all while insisting I am a vital piece of the plan...I'd be loathe to leave it.

Add in that I might be settled in the region, enjoy my coworkers, and knew that if I performed to my level I'd be paid handsomely and might even get rewarded with a leadership position.

I suppose what I am saying is this: If I were in Andy King's position professionally, it would take a massive raise and a massive promotion to dislodge me from a club that is familiar and that is clearly going places.

It's less about looking at it from a fan's perspective and more from a "what would I do professionally?" perspective.

Such as playing at Old Trafford and the Emirates against the best players in the world?

A footballers career is much shorter than most people's though. In any profession would you not want to reach the top? He has more of an opportunity to do so at Everton than Leicester and this could be the only chance of his career to make that step up to the next level. He'd regret it at the end of his career if he didn't move at this point and as such never achieved much in the game.

If he left in the summer I would not hold it against him for leaving for a second, neither would I for any other player who ever leaves us to further his career. He's done a good job for us in his time and I'd hold him in good regard for that and not for why or to whom he left us or left us for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Blackburn 00
2Bristol City00
3Burnley00
4Cardiff City00
5Coventry City00
6Derby00
7Hull City00