Pre Match Arsenal v Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Referee: Anthony Taylor.
Assistants: Gary Beswick, Adam Nunn.
Fourth official: Robert Jones.
VAR: Darren England.
Assistant VAR: Richard West.

Tricky one. We’ve built up a real head of steam and you’d hate to interrupt a winning run and stall momentum. On the other hand, our priority has to be advancing in the European competition. Knowing Rodgers he goes strong here.

At a minimum, Justin and KDH both should be rested. Strong case for Barnes too. I’d say Thomas too, but we’ve no options there.

Kasper

Choudhury
Amartey
Soyuncu
Thomas

Ndidi
Tielemans
Soumare

Lookman
Albrighton
Daka

Tricky one. We’ve built up a real head of steam and you’d hate to interrupt a winning run and stall momentum. On the other hand, our priority has to be advancing in the European competition. Knowing Rodgers he goes strong here.

At a minimum, Justin and KDH both should be rested. Strong case for Barnes too. I’d say Thomas too, but we’ve no options there.

Kasper

Choudhury
Amartey
Soyuncu
Thomas

Ndidi
Tielemans
Soumare

Lookman
Albrighton
Daka

Ooya ****er Miley, Choudhury starting at right back against these? I know we might not have much choice but the thought of playing him there at Arsenal makes my arse twitch.

Ooya ****er Miley, Choudhury starting at right back against these? I know we might not have much choice but the thought of playing him there at Arsenal makes my arse twitch.
Are you sure that's ARSEnal?

The only other option would be Amartey at RB, and either bringing L'il Wes in from the start (assuming he's gotten over the Covids) or dropping Ndidi to the back and bringing in Mendy. Neither of those are ideal, but when you're down to the 4th/5th choice in a position what can you do?

I would enjoy yet another clean sheet, as it were.

The only other option would be Amartey at RB, and either bringing L'il Wes in from the start (assuming he's gotten over the Covids) or dropping Ndidi to the back and bringing in Mendy. Neither of those are ideal, but when you're down to the 4th/5th choice in a position what can you do?
Absolutely Rodgers consistently has to eat a shit sandwich because of injuries but there simply has to be a better option than starting Hamza at full back away at a good side.

Justin shouldn't start, neither should Fofana. Chucking Fofana straight back in for 90 mins against tough opposition would be criminal.

Rotating to rest players for Rennes would be good but I don't think we'll do it.

So I'd expect Maddison to start and Justin to be rested, but probably the same lineup otherwise.

Where’s Riccy?
Wasn’t he supposed to be available for last night?
Saving him for Sunday?

Head-to-head

• Arsenal won the reverse fixture 2-0 and are looking to complete a league double over Leicester for the first time in six seasons.
  • However, Leicester could win back-to-back away league games against the Gunners for the first time. Last season's 1-0 victory ended their 23-match winless league run away to Arsenal.

Arsenal

• Arsenal have won eight of their past 10 games in the Premier League (D1, L1).
  • The 25 points they have accrued during that period is the joint-most in the division, alongside Manchester City.
  • The Gunners could become the first team to win five consecutive Premier League matches by a one-goal margin since Birmingham City in November and December 2009.
  • Mikel Arteta's side have scored 22 Premier League goals by players aged 21 or under this season, twice as many as next-best Crystal Palace.
  • Bukayo Saka has been directly involved in nine goals in Arsenal's last 10 league games, scoring six and setting up three.

Leicester City

• Leicester have won successive league matches for just the second time this season, keeping consecutive clean sheets for the first time in 13 months.
  • They haven't earned three Premier League wins in a row since January 2021.
  • Victory at Burnley in their most recent away fixture ended a run of four straight league defeats, and no win in six, on the road.
  • Patson Daka failed to score in 12 of his 13 away appearances for Leicester in all competitions. The exception was his four-goal haul in a 4-3 win at Spartak Moscow in the Europa League in October.

Fofana and Justin to start. A resolute defensive display leads to a narrow 1 nil win for the Foxes and leaves us all pondering what may have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566