Ashes test, Lords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was disappointed with Onions, only 3 wickets.

Next 2 pitches should be more lively, time for Harmison to step up to the plate, especially with Fred being suspect.

Is that a joke?

I don't know the exact number of overs he bowled, but I don't remember it being many. I thought he bowled well.

Is that a joke?

I don't know the exact number of overs he bowled, but I don't remember it being many. I thought he bowled well.

Biff has a bit of a crush on Harmison and therfore doesnt like Onions. :icon_wink

How can you question the declaration timing now? :icon_lol:

BB doesnt like to admit that he was wrong :icon_wink

I have no problem admitting when i'm wrong, it happens often enough:icon_wink.
On this one though i dont believe i am wrong. In terms of runs ahead, it looked impossible for England not to win. But this is the Aussies, not the WI.

Imo Strauss was rightly criticized in the West Indies for his declarations. The circumstances though in the caribbean were totally different. England were behind in the series and needed a result. With a totally flat pitch he should have given the bowlers more time to take the wkts.
The Lords game developed fast, and England by the end of day 3 were in a fantastic position, and if anything ahead of time. By taking nearly an hour out of the game by continuing to bat, Englands lead would have been around 600. With just over 5 sessions to go the Aussies would only have a draw to play for. Instead we gave them a glimmer, when really we should have rubbed their faces into the ground.

England had luck on their side with poor umpiring decisions. So who knows how close they might have come without those bad decisons.

If England had lost this test, then imo they would have lost the Ashes with it. They would have been psychologically wounded and left with a mountain to climb. Remember England have to win the series to win the Ashes.
If Strauss had declared when i suggested and England failed because they didnt have enough time, then the worst case was that they would still be bang in the series going to Edgbaston.

Imo Strauss and England risked it, and came up trumps. Well done:038:but after watching 20 years of us being annihilated by the Aussies, it would be nice to copy their blueprint:)

I have no problem admitting when i'm wrong, it happens often enough:icon_wink.
On this one though i dont believe i am wrong. In terms of runs ahead, it looked impossible for England not to win. But this is the Aussies, not the WI.

Imo Strauss was rightly criticized in the West Indies for his declarations. The circumstances though in the caribbean were totally different. England were behind in the series and needed a result. With a totally flat pitch he should have given the bowlers more time to take the wkts.
The Lords game developed fast, and England by the end of day 3 were in a fantastic position, and if anything ahead of time. By taking nearly an hour out of the game by continuing to bat, Englands lead would have been around 600. With just over 5 sessions to go the Aussies would only have a draw to play for. Instead we gave them a glimmer, when really we should have rubbed their faces into the ground.

England had luck on their side with poor umpiring decisions. So who knows how close they might have come without those bad decisons.

If England had lost this test, then imo they would have lost the Ashes with it. They would have been psychologically wounded and left with a mountain to climb. Remember England have to win the series to win the Ashes.
If Strauss had declared when i suggested and England failed because they didnt have enough time, then the worst case was that they would still be bang in the series going to Edgbaston.

Imo Strauss and England risked it, and came up trumps. Well done:038:but after watching 20 years of us being annihilated by the Aussies, it would be nice to copy their blueprint:)

Give them a glimmer of hope of reaching the total is vital point when setting a target. If we'd have set 600+ and the Aussies went out to draw the game, they may well just have managed it.

Reaching that 500+ 2nd innings total has only ever been achieved in 1st class cricket twice in the entire history of the game! Batting on would have been a complete waste of time.

Give them a glimmer of hope of reaching the total is vital point when setting a target. If we'd have set 600+ and the Aussies went out to draw the game, they may well just have managed it.

Reaching that 500+ 2nd innings total has only ever been achieved in 1st class cricket twice in the entire history of the game! Batting on would have been a complete waste of time.

We are only talking an hour out of the game. England won with over 4hrs to spare.
How comfortable did you feel when the Aussies walked off at the end of day 4:102:
Yes the target was huge, but records are always there to be broken.:)

We are only talking an hour out of the game. England won with over 4hrs to spare.
How comfortable did you feel when the Aussies walked off at the end of day 4:102:

Then by your calculations an hour would still not have been enough, leaves 3 hours to spare :)

There was definitely chance of some rain on the Sunday, which could have easily taken a couple of those hours away. And England's track record since 2005 in taking 20 wickets has been pitiful.

Then by your calculations an hour would still not have been enough, leaves 3 hours to spare :)

Sorry, you have lost me there :icon_conf:)

There was definitely chance of some rain on the Sunday, which could have easily taken a couple of those hours away. And England's track record since 2005 in taking 20 wickets has been pitiful.

I accept that but we offered them a chance, although it was in terms of percentage probaly less than 5%. For the sake of an hours batting, we could have left them with no chance.
The result indicates that my position is wrong, but i still maintain we could have made the game absolutely safe, and still won.

Englands declaration left the likelyhood of two results, either an England win or an Aussie win. I would like to have seen the two possibilities being an England win or a draw.

Is that a joke?

Don't argue with Biff, he knows his onions........... Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570