Australia v India (Boxing Day Test Cricket)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another good article from an Auusie:

Test cricket left in tatters
January 9 | Bill Hoffman

It’s just not cricket. Playing in the spirit of the game has been made meaningless by the second Test between Australia and India, which could have ended in a triumph for the sport.

Instead, Australia has recorded a record 16th win in succession but the game at what once was its highest level has been left in tatters.

With the best players around the world now flocking to the cash-rich Twenty20 game being driven by the Board of Cricket Control India, now was not the best time for the highest form of cricket to signal that it is about nothing other than winning.

But, and poor umpiring decisions to one side, that is exactly what has led to the mess the game is now in, with India threatening to boycott the rest of its tour of Australia.

Cricket is a game where things happen in a flash on a broad canvas and where even the most up-to-date technology can fail to give a definitive answer to the question, HOWZAT.

That is where the spirit of the game is meant to show its relevance.

It is a spirit that has survived in the most money-focussed of all sports, golf. Players knows every single aspect of the game cannot be policed by officials and consider it a matter of honour to declare what often only they know – that a ball has moved slightly, that a club has touched surface in a sand trap, or that they have marked a wrong score.

No one expects a cricketer to walk if there is any doubt in his own mind that he may not be out.

That was not the case in Andrew Symonds’ first innings, when he quite simply took advantage of an inept umpiring decision to hold his place on the field and ultimately to determine the course of the match with his 168 not out.

Having done so, his declaration in post-innings interviews that he knew he was out was both foolish and provocative. Symonds should have been chided by his skipper, who has responsibilities to the game as well as to his own and his team’s record, but was not.

And he most certainly should not have been awarded man-of-the-match, a decision that must clearly have indicated to everyone who witnessed the match that cricket as it was meant to be played had died.

Arguments that “what goes around comes around’’ are puerile. All games hinge on moments. Umpiring decisions, partnerships, individual hundreds and blistering sessions by bowlers only have context in the moments in which they occur.

A lot was put at risk by Symonds’ blatant abuse of the spirit of the game.

For the International Cricket Council to then reduce its consideration of player conduct to whether an Indian player had called Andrew Symonds a monkey after a complaint from the Australians, invited the consequences that are now reverberating around the cricket world.

“We cheated but he called Andrew names” is a fine end to a contest which could have brought so much more to the game.

To have any future in modern sport, the five-day Test must maintain its relevance.

One-day cricket and the Twenty20 game will not go away. If anything, Twenty20 has by far the greatest relevance to the vast majority of fans because it most closely mirrors their own experience, be that in the backyards of Australian suburbs or the streets of Mumbai.

Test cricket is about tradition, history and fair play.

Ultimately, the concept of fair play is its core value – what sets it apart and what bestows those who win the honour to play it with a higher worth. There is even a dollar value to that currency which players ignore to their own cost.

At its best, Test cricket is an absorbing contest, highlighted by wonderful displays with bat and bowl and in the field. But if it is just about winning, it takes too long to get a result.

Reverse it for a second. An Indian tells an Australian player that he is a fat aussie twat and the Aussie replies with shut up you fcuking bomber or terrorist.

Should the Indian be punished as well as the Australian?

As I said I think it was the fact that Singh allegedly used a racist term rather then the fact he retaliated.

The central point is that anyone who is abusive to their opponents should be punished, with the level of punishment matching the level of their abuse.

The fact that we have ended up with this hugely damaging situation is a dammning indictment on the Aussies, and occasionaly others, who have been carrying on like schoolboy bullies for years and with the governing bodies who have happily turned a blind eye to their actions.

It happens in all sport, you don't think defenders make comments to strikers during a game or visa versa? :icon_roll

If I accept what you say as being true it shows Campbell to be an even bigger hypocrite and in no way absolves the Australian cricketers. :102:

I wouldn't expect the majority of Australians to agree with PR's view with their questionable integrity.

When you say a few bad decisions I take it you are talking about the 7 which were proved to be factually wrong (this does not include lbw's).

This doesn't alter the fact that India self-destructed. In five balls they gave away their last three wickets to a bowler who is actually a batsman, not even an all-rounder. I gave up playing because I didn't like the way the game was being played. In my opinion it isn't sport anymore. It's more like war. That "win at all costs" mentality used to drive me nuts. Gone are the days when folks play sport for the pleasure of the game. Sad really.

This doesn't alter the fact that India self-destructed. In five balls they gave away their last three wickets to a bowler who is actually a batsman, not even an all-rounder. I gave up playing because I didn't like the way the game was being played. In my opinion it isn't sport anymore. It's more like war. That "win at all costs" mentality used to drive me nuts. Gone are the days when folks play sport for the pleasure of the game. Sad really.

Too right, Phil Taylor farts at the oche:icon_bigg

I take your point, they did buckle in the last few minutes of the match, but only after the umpires had incompetently manouvered the Aussies into a winning position, through probably the most one-sided umpiring performance ever seen, in the previous few hours and days.

I take your point, they did buckle in the last few minutes of the match, but only after the umpires had incompetently manouvered the Aussies into a winning position, through probably the most one-sided umpiring performance ever seen, in the previous few hours and days.

Agreed. The umpiring was not good. The Symonds "life" probably being the most costly.

Needing 3 wickets in 12 balls, hardly a winning position :icon_roll

I am worried that changing the umpire could lead to a precedent for when decisions go against countries in the future.

How many mistakes does an umpire have to make to be changed?

I agree that the umpires had an absolute disaster and that the majority of decisions went for the Aussies but sometimes that’s cricket. I’m sure India have had several decisions go for them before in a match and will do again. Will they ask for the umpire to be changed then?

I remember a couple of years ago when Pakistan got 5/6 English wickets with no balls. There was uproar about it but England didn't ask for the umpire to be changed.

Needing 3 wickets in 12 balls, hardly a winning position.

I am worried that changing the umpire could lead to a precedent for when decisions go against countries in the future.

How many mistakes does an umpire have to make to be changed?

I agree that the umpires had an absolute disaster and that the majority of decisions went for the Aussies but sometimes that’s cricket. I’m sure India have had several decisions go for them before in a match and will do again. Will they ask for the umpire to be changed then?

I remember a couple of years ago when Pakistan got 5/6 English wickets with no balls. There was uproar about it but England didn't ask for the umpire to be changed.

Maybe winning position is stretchning things a little, unless you are of the opinion that R.P. Singh was not out lbw first ball to become the 9th wicket down.

As far as changing umpires is concerned, the ICC shouldn't be appointing umpires for more than one test match at a time, that is just asking for trouble. It is a little difficult to equate the situation to football, but can you imagine what would happen if a referee was given responsibilty for both legs of a semi only to then gift one team 3 penalties in the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669