Ben Mee on loan again

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregs_y2k

According to a certain twitter user we've made an approach to re-sign Ben Mee on loan next season.

also linked with a loan deal for Everton defender Shane Duffy as well.

dpjfox

Duffy is a 6'-4" ball playing centre back ROI Iinternational, sounds ok but surely not the "loan route" again! except in emergencies

fitz

Duffy is a 6'-4" ball playing centre back ROI Iinternational, sounds ok but surely not the "loan route" again! except in emergencies
Why not use loan players? It worked perfectly fine for plenty promoted teams in recent seasons.

Graz

Why not use loan players? It worked perfectly fine for plenty promoted teams in recent seasons.

Exactly... loan players are a good idea, as long as we're not building our whole team around them. 3 or 4 loan players to enhance the team is a good idea. Especially as it can give us an opportunity to sign better players than we'd get otherwise. Like we wouldn't have had a chance of buying a better striker than the Yak last year, and Cardiff couldn't have bought someone of Bellamy's ability and reputation.

spionfox

Cardiff couldn't have bought someone of Bellamy's ability and reputation.

He really helped them achieve their ambitions though didn't he. Snigger.

gregs_y2k

I'd rather get a good player on loan for a season rather than buy a defender who may not be good enough when we make the step up.

Most promotion chasing teams will have to dip into the loan market if they want to compete at the top because it's too difficult to entice quality players to make the drop down.

dpjfox

we had a few players on loan last season who were a sucess (how many have we gone on to buy?), loans with a buy clause suits all parties

fitz

we had a few players on loan last season who were a sucess (how many have we gone on to buy?), loans with a buy clause suits all parties
So you know for certain that there is no such clause in this deal? I think loans have served us well over the last few years (Spearing, Cleverley, Hobbs etc) so can't see why it's become such a problem for people.

Real Sharapova

loans with a buy clause suits all parties

Eh? Not the loaning club, otherwise the clauses would be in there. Do you think Liverpool would be happy that we were able to buy Spearing, stopping him becoming pretty much a first team regular towards the end of last season? Big clubs usually loan out players so that they can get first team action and further their footballing education, not to sell them.

Last edited:

dpjfox

Id sooner buy Mee than loan, if we help young loanees progress i would prefer an option to purchase
Maybe the better players es Naughton Bruma Mee would not consider joining us (or parent clubs wont permit), i would like us to have better control over the deals if possible

Real Sharapova

Id sooner buy Mee than loan, if we help young loanees progress i would prefer an option to purchase
Maybe the better players es Naughton Bruma Mee would not consider joining us (or parent clubs wont permit), i would like us to have better control over the deals if possible
You can have better control over the deals - you won't get any good players 'tho.:eek:

Redditch Fox

I don't think that you can generalise about the value of loanees - it's all about the individual player.

A problem arises when there is an actual or tacit agreement that the loanee is to be picked if fit to play.

We ultimately failed last season because we had too many young and very inexperienced defenders in the side (and dodgy keepers of course) - it wouldn't have mattered whether they were loanees or permanent.

Maybe the circumstances were such that he didn't have too many other options in taking over into the season.

Lako42

One thing is certain, we should not be entering into deals that stipulate a certain player has got to be played.

David Gwilliam

I don't think that you can generalise about the value of loanees - it's all about the individual player.

A problem arises when there is an actual or tacit agreement that the loanee is to be picked if fit to play.

We ultimately failed last season because we had too many young and very inexperienced defenders in the side (and dodgy keepers of course) - it wouldn't have mattered whether they were loanees or permanent.

Maybe the circumstances were such that he didn't have too many other options in taking over into the season.

We ultimately failed to get promotion because we were bottom of the table after nine games and Sousa had failed to strengthen the squad. I thoroughly enjoyed watching loanees like Naughton and Yak and felt they contributed more to the season than Lamey and Moreno.
At the start of October when there was talk of Southgate or Coleman as manager there were some of us who would have been relieved with 4th from bottom and not regarded midtable as failure.

If you can get a good player permanently that is obviously better than signing an equally good player on loan. However, better Naughton on loan than Neilson permanently.

Premiership squads have far too many really gifted players getting few competitive games. With the proviso that I would personally not allow loans between clubs of the same division I feel the loan system used properly is good for both clubs and is good for the player.

drummindefender

One thing is certain, we should not be entering into deals that stipulate a certain player has got to be played.
Unlikely to get any decent young players in that case. Clubs aren't going to want us to have them if they are going to be sitting on our bench instead of theirs.

gregs_y2k

Unlikely to get any decent young players in that case. Clubs aren't going to want us to have them if they are going to be sitting on our bench instead of theirs.

It's obvious why teams like Chelsea would want to ensure that their players get played every possible minute by adding clauses to the loan agreement but it shackles the club loaning them somewhat. Don't forget the loaning club often has little knowledge of how well they will perform in the Championship if they haven't played competitively very often and therefore they may very well need phasing into the squad. A manager should have the complete say over who gets into his starting 11 based on performance, form etc and not be shackled by a clause in a contract. If the player is not good enough to be in the starting 11 in the Championship they're hardly going to be knocking at the door of a top four premier League team any time soon so forcing them into the line up is not going to be beneficial to anyone.

glyn

Exactly... loan players are a good idea, as long as we're not building our whole team around them. 3 or 4 loan players to enhance the team is a good idea. Especially as it can give us an opportunity to sign better players than we'd get otherwise. Like we wouldn't have had a chance of buying a better striker than the Yak last year, and Cardiff couldn't have bought someone of Bellamy's ability and reputation.

Agree but I hope we won't have more than 5 this season as their rotation became, in my opinion, a negative issue at the end of last season.

And it also leads to endless threads about whether we are breaking the rules.

Mike - True Blue Tinter

I must admit it was possible that sometimes last season Sven may well have played a loan player instead of his first choice simply because of the loan contracted appearances. If he can't/won't tell us that is the reason, we then become suspicious that he does not know what he is doing tactically.

Same with injuries. OK, do not tip off the opposition before the game, but afterwards tell us that so and so was not picked because he is still injured etc.

fitz

but afterwards tell us that so and so was not picked because he is still injured etc.
Why should a manager need to justify his team selections? The whole 'Weale, Weale, Weale' chants show that fans are best off keeping out of such issues as they just end up looking like complete bellends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669