Broadband Speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macky

Gruntled Member
1956kbs with Orange 'upto' 8mb broadband.

With BT, or any ISP reselling BT Wholesale connections, you would need to be consistently below 256kbps before it can be reported as a fault.

Anything else will not be entertained, in fact, your ISP would be 'fined' by BTW for raising a fault on anything >256kbps.

The 'up to' part is a very important phrase.

OldGit

No, one stop closer to town (down either side of the loop).

I once hear Feltham desribed as the only place where the estate agents have panic buttons to alert the mental health people if a potential buyer comes in.

fludie

Peanut Thief
Certain Internet Providers do slow down the connection speeds to around 2mb from 5pm to 12am to stop downloaders using all the bandwidth up also.

Last edited:

spionfox

Certain Internet Providers do slow down the connection speeds to around 2mb from 5pm to 12am to stop downloaders using all the bandwidth up also.

In the case of Virgin, this is only done after a certain amount has been downloaded - you still get full speed until that point.

spionfox

Oh i did not know that there is a limit until the speed restriction comes in.

There isn't a limit until the restriction kicks in. I didn't say that there was.

Macky

Gruntled Member

Not quite, close but no Mars bar for you.

They will only throttle back the connection speed during peak hours of people who have gone past the limits of their fair usage policy.

They use traffic shaping to identify protocols being used to slow down torrent files when an exchange is running at capacity, this will affect everybody but it won't slow down the actual connection speed, only traffic using that protocol.

fludie

Peanut Thief
Not quite, close but no Mars bar for you.

They will only throttle back the connection speed during peak hours of people who have gone past the limits of their fair usage policy.

They use traffic shaping to identify protocols being used to slow down torrent files when an exchange is running at capacity, this will affect everybody but it won't slow down the actual connection speed, only traffic using that protocol.

Well explained.

Accident i mean i didnt know that they restricted the traffic once the usage limit is full.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
Im getting seriously ****ed off with my connection, 3mb is just not fast enough :098: My exchange seems to be limited to 3mb though. I have a feeling they must have closed down/ moved my local exchange because it used to be bloody quick!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669