Confirmed Transfer Callum Doyle on loan

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Leicester City Football Club can today confirm the signing of highly-rated defender Callum Doyle on loan from Manchester City, subject to league approval.

The 19-year-old makes the move to Leicestershire having also spent last season on loan in the Championship with Coventry City. The youngster impressed across 46 appearances for the Midlands side as they reached the 2022/23 Championship Play-Off Final in May.

Speaking to LCFC.com, Doyle said: “It’s great to come to work in a place like this. I’ve worked with Enzo before and won the Under-23s Premier League title with him. He improved me a lot so it’s good to work with him again.

“What’s on everyone’s mind right now is obviously to get the Club back where it belongs. This season, with the squad that we have, I think we’ll do really well.”

The talented defender began his footballing education with Manchester City in 2014, signing for the Citizens at the age of 11 and would go on to become a regular in City’s Elite Development Squad – some of those appearances under current Leicester City manager Enzo Maresca.

After a series of standout displays in Manchester City’s Development Squad, Doyle made his first foray into the senior game during a loan spell with Sunderland in 2021/22. He would make a total of 44 appearances in all competitions as the Black Cats went on a successful League One promotion campaign.

Internationally, he has represented his country at various youth levels, including 14 caps for the England Under-19s side that were victorious in the UEFA European Under-19 Championship in 2022, while he was also part of the England Under-20 squad that travelled to the summer’s FIFA Under-20s World Cup in Argentina.

Doyle will now immediately link up with his new team-mates as they prepare for the new Sky Bet Championship season with a series of friendly fixtures, beginning away at Northampton on Saturday 15 July (3pm kick-off).

I tell you what, on paper this is a cracking signing.

Young, hungry, but has bags of championship experience at the right end of the table, naturally left-footed, has previous with the manager, a position of need.

I think our incoming business has been good so far. Will change my tune if we don’t see some attackers soon, but so far, so good.

Cracking signing. Only regret is that it's not permanent or at least with an option to buy, which it sounded like was what we wanted originally.

I tell you what, on paper this is a cracking signing.

Young, hungry, but has bags of championship experience at the right end of the table, naturally left-footed, has previous with the manager, a position of need.

I think our incoming business has been good so far. Will change my tune if we don’t see some attackers soon, but so far, so good.
I agree about the Doyle signing.

Now really need a striker (Piroe), a couple of wingers (3 if we sell Barnes) and an attacking midfielder.

I agree about the Doyle signing.

Now really need a striker (Piroe), a couple of wingers (3 if we sell Barnes) and an attacking midfielder.

Big asks, but very true.

Think we could make do with 2 wingers if Albrighton stays.

I’d be interested to see where Alves, Braybrooke and Soumare fit into the jigsaw

( surprise me with no smart arse comments )

I’d be interested to see where Alves, Braybrooke and Soumare fit into the jigsaw

( surprise me with no smart arse comments )
Two of them are unlikely to be fit for some time. I don’t anticipate Alves or Braybrooke to break through this year.

That’s a real pity as they were both getting very close this season just before their injuries.
That Wolves git should be banned from ever playing again

So our current CB options:

Souttar
Coady
Doyle
Faes
Vestergaard
Nelson
Ndidi (in a pinch)

I think, if we shift Vestergaard and Wilf that we sort of need Faes. He is shit though, so there is that to consider.

If we need Faes then things are even worse than I realized. He’s been an unmitigated failure. I’d sell him for a bag of scampi fries.

On paper at least, a back three of Souttar, Coady, Doyle would do really well at this level.

I am a bit surprised that we've signed a centre back, especially on loan, given what we've got.

We've already brought in Coady which I think was needed for experience. And I think Souttar should be good in the Championship, and could gives Faes a chance.

I wonder if this means a back 3. Or maybe that we can sell Faes or Vestergaard

I am a bit surprised that we've signed a centre back, especially on loan, given what we've got.

We've already brought in Coady which I think was needed for experience. And I think Souttar should be good in the Championship, and could gives Faes a chance.

I wonder if this means a back 3. Or maybe that we can sell Faes or Vestergaard

I still think that we're some way short of suitable defenders for the system Maresca wants to play.

If he's going with the Man City system from last season, and those reporting on the Peterborough game said that we are, you need a back four that becomes a back three in possession. And you're looking to dominate possession in every game.

Your full backs have got to be comfortable in the centre of defence and/or central midfield. I'd question whether our left backs can do this and I'd question whether any of our three right backs will be here by September.

The other thing defenders need in the system is pace. None of our central defenders have pace, although not sure about Doyle.

So defensively we're still way off. We can only count on Coady and Doyle being 'professionals' as part of the new world.

It's similar in goal where you assume that we're fine with Iversen who has done well at Championship level before. However, he can't play 'pep ball' so we're trying to get rid and we're signing Hermansen instead.

This sort of thing is why I'm certain that we're miles behind in our preparation for the season and I'm really worried that we'll be a mess in our early games.

Your last paragraph may be true, that’s why it’s important fans show patience and don’t have any carry over from last season.

If we're going to play Pepball then what do I have to look forward to? Us being shit? We achieved that one admirably last season. And we did it without Man City's budget. ;)

This Ricardo as 'inverted fullback' thing, or back 4 to 3 in attack, or whatever label you want to stick on it (aside, this sexy football talk does it for me, I'm yawning now ready for bed).... um, yes, where was I? Ah, Ricardo, yes,... if this was Rodgers' plan before Rickeee!!'s injury, and Enzo has also come up with it... should I be worried? Or is Ricardo about to emerge butterfly like as a footballing demi-god worth £60M next season (£80M seasonally adjusted).

(BTW, as usual, I' m not being cynically negative, just riffing on a theme)

On A side note, things don't look good for Coventry going into the new season. Doyle has come here. Gyokeres gone to Sporting Lisbon. Burnley going after Gus Hamer....

If we're going to play Pepball then what do I have to look forward to? Us being shit? We achieved that one admirably last season. And we did it without Man City's budget. ;)

This Ricardo as 'inverted fullback' thing, or back 4 to 3 in attack, or whatever label you want to stick on it (aside, this sexy football talk does it for me, I'm yawning now ready for bed).... um, yes, where was I? Ah, Ricardo, yes,... if this was Rodgers' plan before Rickeee!!'s injury, and Enzo has also come up with it... should I be worried? Or is Ricardo about to emerge butterfly like as a footballing demi-god worth £60M next season (£80M seasonally adjusted).

(BTW, as usual, I' m not being cynically negative, just riffing on a theme)

I think there is way too much positivity about the season. It looks terrifying to me.

We're playing roulette and most people that do that lose a lot.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the obvious.

I have no problem with the recruitment so far. I just don't think we've learnt a thing from the last couple of years and we're still going to force a dogmatic system on largely ill equipped players. Except this year we're going to do it with fewer good players and a much less experienced manager.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566
9Coventry City4464
10Preston 4463