Can I....

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcukcov

change the page that my computer defaults to when say i type in the wrong website address in the address bar or if I spell it wrong or it is one that doesnt exist. At the moment mine goes to packard bell website and tries to sell me a packard bell pc, why the feck when ive just brought one would I want to buy another everytime I spell something slightly wrong!!!

Anyway i digress, i would like to set it to something like google which would help if it a website I have typed that doesnt exist as I would then be able to just type it into google to search for what i want.

Why are you embarrassed about IE?

it seems like some (not necessarrily webbo before someone jumps down my throat) make you feel like shite for using the standard browser that comes with the computer.

I use IE, I have tried others but always end up coming back to IE

IE7 is much better than 6, I think I'd use it rather than Firefox if I didn't already have my firefox bookmarks and toolbars all set up how I like them.

I have 7 on the laptop and it seems a much neater package but I have only used it very little as the wireless went up the spout not long after I installed it.

Soooooo any ideas on this ones guys and gals?

IE7 is much better than 6, I think I'd use it rather than Firefox if I didn't already have my firefox bookmarks and toolbars all set up how I like them.
I installed IE7 a few months ago, but it ended up ****ing up my PC, I had to format my drive for the first time ever.

It didn't install correctly, when I tired to unistall it, it didn't do this correctly either. Everytime I clicked a link it locked the whole PC

Last edited:
Installed IE7 again this morning. Seems to have been a clean install and any previous issues I had aren't there.

Seems to have slowed the PC down a tad. Also when scrolling down a page with my wheel the movements are a tad jerky and I get the blur effect for about a second until it all catches up.

Apart from that it's OK

Last edited:
So have I finally stumped all fo the techies on the site?

i can only guess at clinking FILE - INTERNET OPTIONS - click on the PROGRAMS tab and it being in the MANAGE ADD ONS somewhere...but wouldn't have a clue where...

You mean the error 404 page? I dont think that can be changed.

I think hes talking about the default search engine, ie the search engine IE defaults to when an unrecognised URL is typed in to the address bar.

I think hes talking about the default search engine, ie the search engine IE defaults to when an unrecognised URL is typed in to the address bar.
Mine doesn't, I still get the 404 messeage or "Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage" as it is now

change the page that my computer defaults to when say i type in the wrong website address in the address bar or if I spell it wrong or it is one that doesnt exist. At the moment mine goes to packard bell website and tries to sell me a packard bell pc, why the feck when ive just brought one would I want to buy another everytime I spell something slightly wrong!!!

Anyway i digress, i would like to set it to something like google which would help if it a website I have typed that doesnt exist as I would then be able to just type it into google to search for what i want.

Yes it can be done, but it involves making changes to your registry. If you aren't confident I strongly recommend against going in there yourself or you could do untold damage to your PC!

Thankfully, those nice people at Gooooooogle have made a little executable that will do all the hard work for you. Download here

HTH

Alternatively, click on the search button below the address bar to open the search sidebar, click on 'customize' at the top and MSN should be there by default

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669