Carlisle - 13th December

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazzman

I know it's a long old way off.

On 13th December, we're at Carlisle. Now I'd like to go by train for this trip provided it's reasonable and it's possible. A quick look at the national rail site says that there is only one possible train to catch back home and that would mean being at the station for 5.15pm. According to the FGG, it's a 20 minute walk not ideal. I'm guessing there are ways to get home these may involve another change etc. but I'll do it.

What options are there on trains for this trip. I know it's early but I am looking early to save and if it means staying over, then may well that be.

Re: Go Away

On 13th December, we're at Carlisle. Now I'd like to go by train for this trip provided it's reasonable and it's possible. A quick look at the national rail site says that there is only one possible train to catch back home and that would mean being at the station for 5.15pm. According to the FGG, it's a 20 minute walk not ideal. I'm guessing there are ways to get home these may involve another change etc. but I'll do it.

What options are there on trains for this trip. I know it's early but I am looking early to save and if it means staying over, then may well that be.

Have a night in Whitley Bay, you might even get your end away

If you don't get the 17:15 the closest you can get to Leicester on a later train is Derby or Nottingham, so maybe you could leave the car there.

I would think most people would be able to get to the station in time for the 17:15, the ground is around a mile from the station, so 20 minutes is about right. You'll need to get away quickly at the end and hope there isn't much injury time.

Carlisle central Travelodge has some cheap rooms available, and there's a Premier Inn just down the road from the ground.

The timetable nerds have had a look at this one and have to report that there is no way back to Leicester or to London after that 17:15 train has departed. It is possible to get back to Newcastle, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leamington - but not to anywhere where anybody would actually want to live.

Virgin have not yet announced any Advance fares for this journey; I'm looking out for them with interest; the WCML is closed between Warrington and Preston, so the number of such fares may be limited.

National Express East Coast have already announced their advance fares. I booked Advance singles on Friday for the almost unbelievably low price of £14 for the journey from London to Carlisle and return.

A new Travelodge has recently opened in the middle of Carlisle; £29 rooms were available yesterday. There are two more Travelodges on the outskirts which still have £19 rooms available. There is also a Premier Inn in the centre with three more on the outskirts - and a Best Western Hotel. It is not an area which is short on overnight accommodation. All of us round to Jeff's place is not an option - he's too afeared of swmbo for that!

I would think most people would be able to get to the station in time for the 17:15, the ground is around a mile from the station, so 20 minutes is about right. You'll need to get away quickly at the end and hope there isn't much injury time.

Have you recently invested in some rocket powered skates? Elsewhere you advocate for the 21:41 train from Preston Park.

Here again at Carlisle, the City fans will be housed at the wrong side and the wrong end of the ground for a quick escape down Warwick Road. I certainly wouldn't risk it without a solid back-up plan.

Have you recently invested in some rocket powered skates? Elsewhere you advocate for the 21:41 train from Preston Park.

I didn't say getting that train would be easy, just an option for people who are prepared to take a (big) risk. I have been stranded in London after a match before, so I know the consequences of missing the last train.

Here again at Carlisle, the City fans will be housed at the wrong side and the wrong end of the ground for a quick escape down Warwick Road. I certainly wouldn't risk it without a solid back-up plan.

As long as people are prepared to leave as soon as the final whistle goes (by standing at the exit waiting for the ref to blow his whistle), and walk briskly, they shouldn't have a problem getting to the station, they should be able to do it with at least 5 minutes to spare.
The only people who won't be able to do this are those who walk slowly, don't leave on the final whistle, or get lost.

I got to Huddersfield station by 17:06 yesterday, and that's 0.75 miles from the ground. Carlisle's is 1 mile from the ground, so 17:15 should be no problem for anyone who can walk as fast as a fat bastard like me.

I didn't say getting that train would be easy, just an option for people who are prepared to take a (big) risk. I have been stranded in London after a match before, so I know the consequences of missing the last train.

As long as people are prepared to leave as soon as the final whistle goes (by standing at the exit waiting for the ref to blow his whistle), and walk briskly, they shouldn't have a problem getting to the station, they should be able to do it with at least 5 minutes to spare.
The only people who won't be able to do this are those who walk slowly, don't leave on the final whistle, or get lost.

I got to Huddersfield station by 17:06 yesterday, and that's 0.75 miles from the ground. Carlisle's is 1 mile from the ground, so 17:15 should be no problem for anyone who can walk as fast as a fat bastard like me.

Beat you there;)

You didnt seem fat :icon_eek:

The timetable nerds have had a look at this one and have to report that there is no way back to Leicester or to London after that 17:15 train has departed. It is possible to get back to Newcastle, Nottingham, Birmingham and Leamington - but not to anywhere where anybody would actually want to live.

So for a back-up plan, you could go to Notts. At the time of arrival of that proposed route, would it be possible to train it back to Leicester via Notts.

So for a back-up plan, you could go to Notts. At the time of arrival of that proposed route, would it be possible to train it back to Leicester via Notts.

eeerrr...

If you don't get the 17:15 the closest you can get to Leicester on a later train is Derby or Nottingham.

The timetable nerds have had a look at this one and have to report that there is no way back to Leicester or to London after that 17:15 train has departed.

£69 quid quoted off National Rail atm. Is that correct?

As Jeff said there will be some cheap tickets out and about, but maybe not for a week or so. If your eager to get something sorted now and don't mind driving to Newark, you can book £10 each way between Newark and Newcastle, and buy a CDR between Newcastle and Carlisle. You will be looking at just over £30 for that.

*Edit: To add you need to book this of the National Express train wesbite, as it carries a further 10% discount against all other sites. The £10 above includes the 10%.

Last edited:
As Jeff said there will be some cheap tickets out and about, but maybe not for a week or so. If your eager to get something sorted now and don't mind driving to Newark, you can book £10 each way between Newark and Newcastle, and buy a CDR between Newcastle and Carlisle. You will be looking at just over £30 for that.

If he did that he'd have to get the 17:12 train from Carlisle after the match. I'm sure a fit young man could get back to the station by then without too much difficulty though, as long as he doesn't mind a bit of jogging.

When the cheap tickets are released there might be Leicester to Carlisle tickets available for £12.50 each way, but if there's a reasonably priced alternative available now I'd be tempted to take it.
I did the journey in the opposite direction several times last season the availability of cheap tickets was pretty poor.

You forgot to mention that anybody taking this option would have to catch a train back from Carlisle to Newcastle at 17:12 - not for them the luxury of a 17:15 departure!

I would have thought too that the cheapest way to do this journey would be to buy Kings Cross to Carlisle Advance Returns @ £14 each way - taking great care to choose book on trains from Kings Cross that actually stop at Newark.

Another option is ...

Drive to and park in Chesterfield.

7.44am from Chesterfield, arrives York 9.30am - £2.50
10.03am from York, arrives Carlisle 12.58pm - £9.35 (includes a change at Newcastle)

17.12pm from Carlisle, arrives York 20.03pm - £9.35 (inlcudes a change at Newcastle)
20.44pm from York, arrives Chesterfield 22.17pm - £2.50

Total: £23.70

I haven't put any trains between Leicester and Chesterfield due to engineering work and there are bus replacements etc.

Only book this though if your prepared to either leave a couple of minutes early or be at the gate to leave when the whistle goes.

Another option is ...

Drive to and park in Chesterfield.

7.44am from Chesterfield, arrives York 9.30am - £2.50
10.03am from York, arrives Carlisle 12.58pm - £9.35 (includes a change at Newcastle)

17.12pm from Carlisle, arrives York 20.03pm - £9.35 (inlcudes a change at Newcastle)
20.44pm from York, arrives Chesterfield 22.17pm - £2.50

Total: £23.70

I haven't put any trains between Leicester and Chesterfield due to engineering work and there are bus replacements etc.

Only book this though if your prepared to either leave a couple of minutes early or be at the gate to leave when the whistle goes.

There is a 22:24 and one later train to Derby, so this would also be a way of doing the journey from/to Derby quite cheaply.

Nothing reaches Leicester before the morning though.

there's too many takeaways on the road back to the station from ground for anyone to make the 17.15 train.

the Beehive pub next to the ground is a good visit, if you get there early enough to be allowed in. Rugby club is feckin rubbish for a pint, if you're clever like me a pint or 10 in Wylam before the game (if going via Newcastle) is the best idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566