Celebration Picture Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet you £100 that Jack Hobbs never ever plays for England, never mind as captain. Deal?

I wouldn't take that at evens, but looking at the current u-21 squad, I would think that Hobbs has got a good chance of playing for England once Terry and Rio have retired.

I wouldn't take that at evens, but looking at the current u-21 squad, I would think that Hobbs has got a good chance of playing for England once Terry and Rio have retired.

Oh please.....

England's CBs beyond Terry and Ferdinand aren't great at the minute, but even so I don't see Hobbs getting there.. Has he even played for the U21?

Really it's far too early to even say if he'll get there or not... first half of this season most people didn't seem to think much of him, it's only since Christmas people seem to have really rated him.

And there's new players coming through all the time, and Rio and Terry still have a few years left anyway so it's impossible to know what will happen.

I'm sure if Jack Hobbs does ever make it to the England team though, it won't be while he plays for us

Oh please.....

No, please, tell us who in and around the current u-21 age group has a better chance of making it.

England has been spoilt with a group of high-class centre-halves recently: Rio, Terry, Woodgate, King, even Upson if you must. They're all nearing the end of their careers. While we have some exciting forward players coming through, who are the defenders who will replace them when they retire? Please.

No, please, tell us who in and around the current u-21 age group has a better chance of making it.

England has been spoilt with a group of high-class centre-halves recently: Rio, Terry, Woodgate, King, even Upson if you must. They're all nearing the end of their careers. While we have some exciting forward players coming through, who are the defenders who will replace them when they retire? Please.

Micah Richards:102:

Micah Richards:102:

Sure, but bear in mind that 4-5 centre halves get called up in any one squad and at least two of them get a game (unless we revert to 1-2-7), the boy's still got a chance. I am not saying I expect him to be England's #1 at any point, but that he's in with a good shout of being in the top 5!

Last edited:
While we have some exciting forward players coming through, who are the defenders who will replace them when they retire? Please.

There will be new players coming through in the next 5-7 years when they all retire.

Other than those: Richards, Onouha, Wheater, Lescott, Jagielka, Curtis Davies, Steven Taylor etc.

Steven Taylor
Jack Cork

Even Stearman is closer than Hobbs

Jack Cork and maybe Steven Taylor I'd give you, but not Stearman.

Two reasons:

1. Are you not heartened by the growth of the player over the season? He has done the classic thing of running with a bit of first-team experience, no coaching can give that to him - which is why he is so much better after 9 months here.

2. Ask yourself, would you rather have Hobbs or Stearman at the heart of our defence next season? I've seen a bit of Stearman at Wolves and while he had a good start he then seemed to go backwards, he won't get many games next season.

There will be new players coming through in the next 5-7 years when they all retire.

Other than those: Richards, Onouha, Wheater, Lescott, Jagielka, Curtis Davies, Steven Taylor etc.

I thought of those as well, but thought they were too old to be considered replacements for Terry and Rio really... Looked up to check how old they are, and they're both 26. Lescott is actually just 1 day older than Jagielka. Fascinating, isn't it? They turn 27 the opening weekend of the new Premiership season.

Forgot Davies off my list though, he'll be there

Last edited:
Jack Cork and maybe Steven Taylor I'd give you, but not Stearman.

Two reasons:

1. Are you not heartened by the growth of the player over the season? He has done the classic thing of running with a bit of first-team experience, no coaching can give that to him - which is why he is so much better after 9 months here.

2. Ask yourself, would you rather have Hobbs or Stearman at the heart of our defence next season? I've seen a bit of Stearman at Wolves and while he had a good start he then seemed to go backwards, he won't get many games next season.

I've not seen enough of Hobbs or Stearman at centre back to really judge... but Stearman was in the Championship team of the year and will most likely be playing Premiership football next year. Plus, my comment was based on the fact that he already has England U21 caps... Hobbs doesn't.

I'm not saying that Hobbs has no chance of ever getting there, but that it's far too early to say he'll be an England international, particularly given the players in front of him

The players who replace then are playing now, in 5 years time the current u-21s will be 24-28, perfect timing. The players that come through later will replace them (barring the occassional genius, which seems rarer at centre-half)

So we have:

Michah Richards
Ned Onouha
David Wheater
Joleen Lescott
Curtis Davis
Steven Taylor
Jack Cork

I'm not counting Jagielka as he's a full-back. That's all of seven, Hobbs makes eight - so we could say if all goes well he could hope to at least make an England B squad around 2015. That's still a pretty good chance, which is all I've ever said anyway. Couple that with the fact he's getting games and experience, which the likes of the Man City and Chelsea lads are less likely too and I still say he's got a good chance of winning a cap.

Sure, but bear in mind that 4-5 centre halves get called up in any one squad and at least two of them get a game (unless we revert to 1-2-7), the boy's still got a chance. I am not saying I expect him to be England's #1 at any point, but that he's in with a good shout of being in the top 5!

So you don't expect him to be Englands #1 but you expect him to be made captain?

So you don't expect him to be Englands #1 but you expect him to be made captain?

I think your confusing my enthusiasm for Hobbs with someone elses, all I said to spark this off was:

What the **** have I stumbled across here, this is not a serious debate is It?

What the **** have I stumbled across here, this is not a serious debate is It?

There's nothing like a bit of mass debating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669