Claudio Ranieri Appointed Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a point where Southampton chose to bin off Nigel Adkins, who had been key to their meteoroic rise to the premier league, and replace him with a new manager called Mauricio Pochettino. When Pearson was sacked, whilst I was surprised, a small part of me hoped this gamble from our owners would have similar results.

It's not unfair to say that Ranieri, whilst I suspected he would do well, has hugely surpassed all expectations. He has recognised our strengths and given us a highly specific playing style which is working absolute magic. Anyone saying this is still Pearson's team could not be more wrong. Great work.

Great post FF.

There was a point where Southampton chose to bin off Nigel Adkins, who had been key to their meteoroic rise to the premier league, and replace him with a new manager called Mauricio Pochettino. When Pearson was sacked, whilst I was surprised, a small part of me hoped this gamble from our owners would have similar results.

It's not unfair to say that Ranieri, whilst I suspected he would do well, has hugely surpassed all expectations. He has recognised our strengths and given us a highly specific playing style which is working absolute magic. Anyone saying this is still Pearson's team could not be more wrong. Great work.

You're right that CR deserves a huge amount of credit, but for me this is Pearson's team - to say otherwise is unfair. One of NP's first jobs when he arrived back at the club for the second spell was to clear out players like Beckford, Peltier, Mills and others to create a dressing room that had the right attitude and that bonded together in a way that friends would rather than simply being people you work with. For me, this is the true foundation of our success and will also be the key challenge moving forwards. As we try to become a club challenging for Europe, we'll have to bring in players of a higher standard than those we already have. Making sure that these players are aligned to our ethos and that we don't change the dressing room too quickly will be pivotal.

You're right that CR deserves a huge amount of credit, but for me this is Pearson's team - to say otherwise is unfair. One of NP's first jobs when he arrived back at the club for the second spell was to clear out players like Beckford, Peltier, Mills and others to create a dressing room that had the right attitude and that bonded together in a way that friends would rather than simply being people you work with. For me, this is the true foundation of our success and will also be the key challenge moving forwards. As we try to become a club challenging for Europe, we'll have to bring in players of a higher standard than those we already have. Making sure that these players are aligned to our ethos and that we don't change the dressing room too quickly will be pivotal.
I'll take this point, that is true with in multiple ways, and further it. Whilst Pearson created a group that successfully reacted to the siege mentality, what I see from Claudio is that we have created a specific style and tempo of play, which has lead to us being, for however brief a time, the leaders of the division.
I say Claudio has created his own Leicester team, and therefore not Pearson's, as he has changed our style and our effectivity. Our players might be the same, but the play is not.

Let's not forget that Pearson created a team and playing style that took us to the bottom of the table. Only when things got desperate did the team start to win, whereas under CR we've come out of the blocks winning and playing with a style and mentality that has got us to the top of the table on merit.

This is so much more than a Nigel Pearson team.

Isn't there a Pope or someone who can pronounce LCFC free of the sin of Pearson and confirm that Claudio's team is 100% the result of an immaculate conception.

We ARE a club challenging for Europe. Man City have spent £500+million on players and got nowhere in Europe yet.

This is NOT Pearson's Team. It was Pearson's team for nearly six months while we were bottom. It became the Fearless Foxes team when they HAD to win 8 games from 10 to stay up, so defence/draw/lose was not an option.

Pearson was a brilliant manager for us. Took us to two league titles and two promotions and a further two play-off campaigns. He built two seperate great teams, the first one which finally kicked us up the arse after several years of utter misery and one of, if not the, worst few years in the club's history - it was a pretty direct side built around its work rate and fitness which put a passion back into the club that hadn't been there for years. Then his second side, he came in and had to get rid of some of the big egoed, big money, but mediocre Championship players that Sven had spunked money up the wall on and built a really exciting young side which was much more attacking and had more flair than his original side and the spine of that side (Morgan, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Vardy) is still our spine today - I remember when we signed Knockaert, I'd never seen a Leicester player like that before, with that level of skill and artistry - then we signed Mahrez and he was even better.

I was gutted when he left and yes, the spine of the side is still the same, however, that does not mean than Claudio hasn't been the one to push us onto the next level and doesn't deserve enormous credit. He'd made Vardy the figurehead of the attack rather than the support striker he was for Nugent/Ulloa, he's given Mahrez a free-role, he's converted Albrighton to a previously unfamiliar position on the left, he's got the best out of Morgan and Drinkwater and Kante and all those players are having the form of their careers so far.

Saw an interview with Vardy the other day when he said the main thing Claudio has done over Pearson is he's so much more tactically in-depth - under Pearson you'd know you're job and train for it, but under Ranieri you have booklets and loads of video clips every week on the opposition and your own performances and go into far more depth about how you exploit opposition weaknesses and how our players could get working tactically as a team.

Pearson will always be a hero to me and I was gutted when he left, he was fantastic for the club when he was here - a club which as we all remember were ****ing miserable before he came in and yes a lot of the players are still the same so you could call it "his side", but Ranieri has clearly come in and taken that side to the next level with his greater managerial experience and tactical knowledge and he deserves all the credit he gets for where we are in the table.

Boom, fully agree

Pearson was a brilliant manager for us. Took us to two league titles and two promotions and a further two play-off campaigns. He built two seperate great teams, the first one which finally kicked us up the arse after several years of utter misery and one of, if not the, worst few years in the club's history - it was a pretty direct side built around its work rate and fitness which put a passion back into the club that hadn't been there for years. Then his second side, he came in and had to get rid of some of the big egoed, big money, but mediocre Championship players that Sven had spunked money up the wall on and built a really exciting young side which was much more attacking and had more flair than his original side and the spine of that side (Morgan, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Vardy) is still our spine today - I remember when we signed Knockaert, I'd never seen a Leicester player like that before, with that level of skill and artistry - then we signed Mahrez and he was even better.

I was gutted when he left and yes, the spine of the side is still the same, however, that does not mean than Claudio hasn't been the one to push us onto the next level and doesn't deserve enormous credit. He'd made Vardy the figurehead of the attack rather than the support striker he was for Nugent/Ulloa, he's given Mahrez a free-role, he's converted Albrighton to a previously unfamiliar position on the left, he's got the best out of Morgan and Drinkwater and Kante and all those players are having the form of their careers so far.

Saw an interview with Vardy the other day when he said the main thing Claudio has done over Pearson is he's so much more tactically in-depth - under Pearson you'd know you're job and train for it, but under Ranieri you have booklets and loads of video clips every week on the opposition and your own performances and go into far more depth about how you exploit opposition weaknesses and how our players could get working tactically as a team.

Pearson will always be a hero to me and I was gutted when he left, he was fantastic for the club when he was here - a club which as we all remember were ****ing miserable before he came in and yes a lot of the players are still the same so you could call it "his side", but Ranieri has clearly come in and taken that side to the next level with his greater managerial experience and tactical knowledge and he deserves all the credit he gets for where we are in the table.

Totally agree - although just to point out, the video clips thing has been around for a while. Late Kick Off did a feature on it while we were still in the championship.

A very good point; both deserve great credit.

It is important people get on with the media - we know this becuase the media tell us.

Sir Alf Ramsey who was a man of great integrity detested the media and made no attempt to hide it. When we were about to play Portugal in 1966 he bristled at the question "How do England intend to deal with Eusebio.?" This was strange because he had been a defender in the 1950s when defenders certainly know how to "deal" with attackers. I would rather have Sir Alf than all the media friendly England manager since.

Stan Cullis actively avoided the press. He knew they would complain about the offside trap and the selection of Chopper Clamp a man whose tackles were controversial even by 1950s standards. - "the 'ardness its in me 'ead" as he told Stan Matthews, Wolves have had media friendly managers since but how the Wolves have missed Stan Cullis.

If getting on with the media was the criteria then Ian Holloway was a better manager than Sir Alex Ferguson.

I must admit to a prejudice in favour of Romans although I am well aware of the flaws in the Roman male (Roman ladies are perfect). A Roman once told me that the reason there are so many cats in Rome is that "Romans are like cats they may be stylish and sophisticated but in the end they don't care whether you live or die." Claudio seems a very warm heated caring man - a most unusual Roman.

Notably our Claudio was not first choice according to Guus:

Former Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink has confirmed an approach from Leicester City in the summer.

Following the sacking of Nigel Pearson, Hiddink was linked with the Foxes before they appointed Claudio Ranieri.

And the Dutchman admits he was sounded out by Leicester about the job.

He told FOX Sports: "I was asked in the summer to join Leicester as coach, but it was too soon after my resignation from the Oranje."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...um=rss-feed&utm_campaign=Feed-Latest+Articles

Notably our Claudio was not first choice according to Guus:

Former Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink has confirmed an approach from Leicester City in the summer.

Following the sacking of Nigel Pearson, Hiddink was linked with the Foxes before they appointed Claudio Ranieri.

And the Dutchman admits he was sounded out by Leicester about the job.

He told FOX Sports: "I was asked in the summer to join Leicester as coach, but it was too soon after my resignation from the Oranje."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/hiddink-confirms-i-was-offered-leicester-job-4107467?utm_source=mediafed&utm_medium=rss-feed&utm_campaign=Feed-Latest+Articles

Blokes clearly lost his shit like. I don't speak Dutch myself but guess that means he resigned from an orange? Mentalist.

Its not uncommon for more than one manager to be sounded out simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669