Congratulations England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombat

As a fan of LCFC & England for the past 40 years, I wanted to comment on what a fantastic achievement yesterday's crushing of Croatia was.

As a young kid I was reduced to tears in 1973 when we failed to qualify for the following year's World Cup after a 1-1 home draw with Poland & knew I wouldn't be seeing my heroes (especially a young Peter Shilton) on the world stage

In the recent past, we missed qualification for the 1994 WC in USA.... for the young foxes on here, to have the global media focus (daily TV reports, newspapers, etc) without England is a freaking disaster... you can't get excited about Ghana, Italy, Germany or Paraguay and most non-qualified fans naturally fall back on Brazil as "your team to root for in the world cup"

After the embarassment of Sven (5-1 win in Germany excepted) and his bufoon side-kick McLaren, Capello has done a fantastic job in resurrecting England as a European football powerhouse, who other teams fear. The jobs not done yet, and we're still some way behind Spain, but we need to fear no-one, our opponents fear us.

So, congratulations England, and let's all look forward to the roller coaster of passion & excitement that the next 12 months is about to deliver

Shame about the forum selection

Shame about Heskey though!

He should have scored at least one of the chances he had, but you couldnt even tell Defoe was on the pitch when he came on.

Also by bringing on Defoe it results in Rooney becoming the player to hold up the ball, which takes away from his natural game.

I would rather have Heskey not scoring and Rooney at full flow then Rooney playing to half his capibility and Defoe.

A lot of people including itv's commentary team last night, cannot see the value Heskey brings to the current England side.

His hold up play, passing and strength up front are second to none. That is why he gets picked over Defoe everytime.

Capello realises that others can get the goals from his flicks and lay offs.

Iwatched the 66 final with my dad ( i was aged 10)
my son is 10 two days before next years final!

im prepared for old bastard replies!

Iwatched the 66 final with my dad ( i was aged 10)

I worked the afternoon shift in the local newsagents for quadruple pay - nobody else wanted to do it. I'd seen West Germany twice at Villa Park and didn't think England were in with a chance.

The Russian linesman proved me wrong but I was happy - not a single customer all afternoon and I'd got my money for doing nothing.

He should have scored at least one of the chances he had, but you couldnt even tell Defoe was on the pitch when he came on.

Also by bringing on Defoe it results in Rooney becoming the player to hold up the ball, which takes away from his natural game.

I would rather have Heskey not scoring and Rooney at full flow then Rooney playing to half his capibility and Defoe.

I am surprised that Capello did not take off Rooney for Defoe to see how the Heskey/Defoe Partnership would work. It appears as though Defoe and Rooney are going to be the 'little men' with Heskey and Cole as the bruisers that hold the ball up.

I worked the afternoon shift in the local newsagents for quadruple pay - nobody else wanted to do it. I'd seen West Germany twice at Villa Park and didn't think England were in with a chance.

The Russian linesman proved me wrong but I was happy - not a single customer all afternoon and I'd got my money for doing nothing.

I was 7 in 1966 and remember going out to play on WC Final day....the streets were absolutely deserted.

Everyone (except for Bocadillo - who was coining it in at the newsagent sweets counter!) was in front of a black & white TV set

So, you were 'happy' to do nothing and get a few bob, whilst England won the World Cup?

Shame about Heskey though!

Heskey is no "thump em into the roof of the net" centre forward like Shearer or Lineker, but fellow players & Capello (who is no mug) see the value of Heskey brings to our attack

Heskey never sets the game alight, but he's put in to do a job and last night (as usual) he did it well

The team looked to have excellent balance in all departments and you couldn't say that about England too many times in the past 10 years or so

FIFA rate Croatia around 8th in the world and they came to Wembley eager for qualification points - we destroyed them last night with a magnificent all-round performance, Heskey included

So, you were 'happy' to do nothing and get a few bob, whilst England won the World Cup?

I was delighted. I've never had more than a passing interest in England F.C.'s fortunes. Meanwhile I had probably earned enough to admit me to the Kop three or four times.

I like Heskey in the side, even tho he was frustrating last night, he usually adds to the balance.

The only problem is, 'if' Heskey gets injured, as he is injury prone, England cant afford to be a one trick pony.

I didn't really see any change in the contribution of Rooney throughout the match.

Croatia were sat pretty deep in the second half so it made it more difficult for us to open them up and get down the flanks and utilise Defoe's pace.

I think Defoe deserves a place in the starting 11 although I agree Heskey deserves a place in the squad too. I don't think there's any harm in mixing it up ever few games partnering Rooney with Defoe for some matches and Heskey with Rooney for others. Obviously it depends on the opposition. A match which is going to be tight and chances restricted, I'd pop Heskey in but a more open game should see Defoe put in the starting 11.

I also wouldn't be adverse to seeing Heskey and Defoe together as Rooney's scored 11 goals for England in the past year (incidentally 6 of those were whilst Heskey was not on the pitch). Heskey's misses last night though were disappointing and even though he is a Leicester boy, I'd currently pick Defoe before him. We're passing the ball well enough to not rely on a target man.

it's a good dilemma to have for Capello and I'm relishing our prospects next summer in South Africa.

(incidentally 6 of those were whilst Heskey was not on the pitch).

So what your saying is he scored nearly half of his goals with Heskey along side him?

I thought you were stupidly trying to use that stat in a negative way in terms of Heskey's contribution, like those brain dead morons on ITV last night, but I doubt you would.

Last edited:
I'n just pointing out that he has scored more goals without Heskey as a partner so therefore he can score goals without him as well.

I'm just pointing out that we're not a one trick pony. I do like Heskey in the England set up because he does bring in an extra dimension and whilst he doesn't score many he provides for others. I'm just saying that Defoe deserves a nod too now and again when the situation calls for it.

I also think Defoe could partner Rooney as I personally think Rooney had a pretty quiet night. He only got on the score sheet thanks to a gift from the keeper. He did provide for Gerrard's second. I'm not making any negative comments. We're playing well, confidently and we have options available to us should injuries become a factor. I'm just making a point that it wouldn't be a bad thing if between now and the finals we tried out a few other striking options as it would be hugely beneficial if we had a few well tried and tested options available to us when we arrive in South Africa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669