Cov Away - First game CONFIRMED

Status
Not open for further replies.

pork pie fox

Last edited:

Blaby blue blood

Sorry, I just don't understand the link between:

And:

I'm sure I'm missing something, I just don't get it.

On the pdf posted by SJN there was an extra blue band after the home games against Blackpool and Middlesbrough which would indicate another home game. However, there was no team name in the blue band. I then tried to make a comedic link from that to the fact that earlier there had been a post relating to the fact Smithies of Huddersfield is in talks with an 'Unnamed Club' by suggesting the blank blue space with no name represented a home game against the 'Unnamed Club'...........

I think that has just made it even more confusing! :icon_conf

pork pie fox

On the pdf posted by SJN there was an extra blue band after the home games against Blackpool and Middlesbrough which would indicate another home game. However, there was no team name in the blue band. I then tried to make a comedic link from that to the fact that earlier there had been a post relating to the fact Smithies of Huddersfield is in talks with an 'Unnamed Club' by suggesting the blank blue space with no name represented a home game against the 'Unnamed Club'...........

I think that has just made it even more confusing! :icon_conf

Thanks for explaining, I think...:icon_lol:

SJN-Fox

If you can just get rid of the extra blue banding after the home games against Blackpool and Middlesbrough then it will be perfect :icon_lol:
Hmmm, how strange. Anyway, it's fixed now :icon_cool

Lako42

Bring on those dirty inbred bastards, lovely bloody stuff.

Hazzman

Good for me personally. I have 7 away grounds to do and one of them is on a Tuesday. The first part of the season I'm in plaster these grounds are easy on the train (also AFC Wimbledon are at home on one of the international weekends). Just a shame the fixtures were not released yesterday...as could have seen the Arctic Monkeys at the 02...the same day as West Ham away.

TornadoShaunUK

Couldn't have asked for a much easier start! If only it had been at home. Having said that, the concentration needs to be there for every game or slip ups will happen. Coventry fans seem to think this will be on Sky. Also good to have two of the more difficult teams in the last 2 games, as if we are serious about going for auto, you'd expect it to be tied up by then!!

Samir Nasri

Coventry @ home on my birthday.

The last 6 games in April do not look nice at all.

spionfox

Last edited:

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
I'm probably being very thick here, but I have only just noticed that all of our Tuesday night home matches are also on a Tuesday night for the corresponding away trips. The Monday matches also tie up.

Is this usual or have I just missed this over the past 40 odd years!

Has it always been that way?

I think it started three seasons ago. It's not a long term thing.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
I don't think it's been done before, certainly not the last three seasons. Not like you to just make something up and state it as fact :icon_conf

You will note that I wrote, "I think". So, let's check and see:

Season 2010/11
Cardiff City
home - Tue 14 Sep
away - Tue 22 Feb

Sheffield United
home - Wed 10 Nov
away - Tue 1 Feb

Season 2009/10
Crystal Palace
home - Tue 20 Oct
away - Tue 16 Mar

Bristol City
home - Tue 8 Dec
away - Tue 16 Feb

Doncaster Rovers
home - Tue 9 Feb
away - Tue 23 Feb

Season 2008/09
Walsall
home - Tue 21 Oct
away - Tue 3 Feb

Brighton
away - Tue 28 Oct
home - Tue 27 Jan

Yeovil
home - Tue 11 Nov
away - Mon 19 Jan (brought forward a day for TV)

OK, not every midweek game matches up home and away but I think there's enough of an indication there that "it started three years ago". I remember noting the phenomena at the time and the ptb obviously feel that there is reason to extend it.

In two of the seasons one of the Christmas games 'pairs' with one of the Easter games, which has also happens next season - spion notes these as the "Monday games" for this season.

When I started to go to football, clubs always played in pairs home and away over both the Christmas and the Easter periods. There was a period since then when pairs of clubs played each other home and away midweek very early in the season. Both of these things fell by the wayside.

If you go back to the period immediately after WW1, you will find that all clubs played each other home and away in successive games throughout the season for about five or six years.

There have been various patterns in the fixture planning over the years. Clearly home and away midweek returns are now in vogue.

Last edited:

Blue Maniac

Alzheimers sufferer
You will note that I wrote, "I think". So, let's check and see:

Season 2010/11
Cardiff City
home - Tue 14 Sep
away - Tue 22 Feb

Sheffield United
home - Wed 10 Nov
away - Tue 1 Feb

Season 2009/10
Crystal Palace
home - Tue 20 Oct
away - Tue 16 Mar

Bristol City
home - Tue 8 Dec
away - Tue 16 Feb

Doncaster Rovers
home - Tue 9 Feb
away - Tue 23 Feb

Season 2008/09
Walsall
home - Tue 21 Oct
away - Tue 3 Feb

Brighton
away - Tue 28 Oct
home - Tue 27 Jan

Yeovil
home - Tue 11 Nov
away - Mon 19 Jan (brought forward a day for TV)

OK, not every midweek game matches up home and away but I think there's enough of an indication there that "it started three years ago". I remember noting the phenomena at the time and the ptb obviously feel that there is reason to extend it.

In two of the seasons one of the Christmas games 'pairs' with one of the Easter games, which has also happens next season - spion notes these as the "Monday games" for this season.

When I started to go to football, clubs always played in pairs home and away over both the Christmas and the Easter periods. There was a period since then when pairs of clubs played each other home and away midweek very early in the season. Both of these things fell by the wayside.

If you go back to the period immediately after WW1, you will find that all clubs played each other home and away in successive games throughout the season for about five or six years.

There have been various patterns in the fixture planning over the years. Clearly home and away midweek returns are now in vogue.
Either your memory is playing tricks or you're telling porkies. That Yeovil game you speak of was put back two days from the Saturday.

bocadillo

Water Gypsy
Either your memory is playing tricks or you're telling porkies. That Yeovil game you speak of was put back two days from the Saturday.

And if I now recall correctly, the other Yeovil game (the home one) was postponed from the previous month - so scrub out that pair.

It still suggests though that there was a change in policy on the planning of fixtures which has now culminated in all mid-week fixtures being 'paired'. And for the record, I don't deliberately tell porkies ever - the reliability of my memory can however be another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669