Crewe Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
londonfox said:
or could it be because the only other left-back on our books was given away by our manager to play for another team...

Given away, that implies nothing in return do you know something nobody else knows? you should be less casual with your statements, especially when they are conjecture and not facts!

Because he should have realised that playing them both would impact on each others game. Sheehan was just lumping it at points and I dont think that was a tacitcal decision it was because Smith was playing in front of him. This is not because ether of them are bad players, they both have potential (in smiths case massive) but they were never going to work out playing together at this stage.

He also was naive about how important the three points were today, they were massive. We should have won today easily, no excuses. There was some chanting today in my area of the Kop against Levein, this will only grow.

As I mentioned in a previous post if Nisa was ill then fair enough if not then he should have been playing or Tiatto should have been LB.

The whole LB situation has been nothing short of an embarrasment all season and this reflects badly on the manager, you must at least realise that!?!

PONTUS KAAMARK said:
Because he should have realised that playing them both would impact on each others game. Sheehan was just lumping it at points and I dont think that was a tacitcal decision it was because Smith was playing in front of him. This is not because ether of them are bad players, they both have potential (in smiths case massive) but they were never going to work out playing together at this stage.

He also was naive about how important the three points were today, they were massive. We should have won today easily, no excuses. There was some chanting today in my area of the Kop against Levein, this will only grow.

As I mentioned in a previous post if Nisa was ill then fair enough if not then he should have been playing or Tiatto should have been LB.

The whole LB situation has been nothing short of an embarrasment all season and this reflects badly on the manager, you must at least realise that!?!

Perhaps you should check a few facts before you make these derogatory accusation, if he had no other options he can't be accused of being naive and if you think Tiatto at left back is a viable option, then it's you who are being naive, he would have off even quicker than Sheehan.

I do realise that, the only embarrassment is that Sheehan should have kept his place after the Sheff Weds game.

Last edited:
TYRON said:
Perhaps you should check a few facts before you make these derogatory accusation, if he had no other options he can't be accused of being naive and if you think Tiatto at left back is a viable option, then it's you who are being naive, he would have off even quicker than Sheehan.

I do realise that, the only embarrassment is that Sheehan should have kept his place after the Sheff Weds game.

When was Tiatto last sent off then????

You are correct about after the shef wed game, Sheehan should have been given a crack earlier in the season but fickle Levein did his usual and decided the best thing is to change the team week in week out.

For todays game Tiatto and Smith would have been a far better choice though. Winning is the most important thing when you are in a position like ours.

ScarboroughFox said:
IMO sheehan has played well in the games he has played in
until today.....

ScarboroughFox said:
apparently so..

but people if he had a good game people would have been saying why play him at his age and lack of experience would they!

IMO CL made the right choice today! as he didnt know A.S would get a red card before the match would he
His performance wasnt just poor because of his red card though. He needs match experience. Never gonna be the best player IMO but looks like he could be okay at this level. Has got a hell of a lot to learn. Still think though that as a professional footballer he really should have known better than going in like that for the second yellow.

fcukcov said:
His performance wasnt just poor because of his red card though. He needs match experience. Never gonna be the best player IMO but looks like he could be okay at this level. Has got a hell of a lot to learn. Still think though that as a professional footballer he really should have known better than going in like that for the second yellow.

i havent seen the challenge, but you cant blame it really on his lack of experience as the only way his is gong to gain experience to play in games like this against teams like Crewe!

I don't think its reasonable to criticise Levein for playing Sheehan to day. The lad has potential and can only improve by getting picked. There may be an argument about whether he and Smith form a viable left flank - but all that is part of the learning process.

The result is no big disaster - IMO we're going to crawl to safety anyway although its obvious to me that Levein is highly unlikely to ever cut it at this level in English football - he just isn't the right manager to make things happen at Leicester.

ScarboroughFox said:
i havent seen the challenge, but you cant blame it really on his lack of experience as the only way his is gong to gain experience to play in games like this against teams like Crewe!

His positioning and passing have always been dreadful everytime I have seen him play, but saying that he could develop into a great little player

Redditch Fox said:
to me that Levein is highly unlikely to ever cut it at this level in English football - he just isn't the right manager to make things happen at Leicester.
kinda of agree with this, begining to wonder if CL is the right man for the job. I dont know what it is, I just cant see him taking us anywhere at the mo. This could change with time, but its how I feel at the mo.

ScarboroughFox said:
fingers crossed BG fingers crossed!

not just for us but for Ireland as well:038:
I can see him being a decent player at this level. Dont realy see him becoming a good enough player to make the fabled 'step up' though.

Redditch Fox said:
although its obvious to me that Levein is highly unlikely to ever cut it at this level in English football - he just isn't the right manager to make things happen at Leicester.

:038: Very nicely put redditch.

I was unable to attend the match yesterday, so I cannot comment on the performance but, it appears yet again that we played well enough to win the game. The problem is this was Crewe at home, a game we SHOULD win.

Many felt that the Sheff Utd victory and performance would be the kick start of this season and the spring board for mounting a serious challenge for the play offs in 2006 / 07, instead we have collected 1 point from our subsequent 3 matches. I will be the first to admit that the level of performance is a marked improvement but we still have the same problem that we cannot WIN enough football matches, we have won once since the last international break and that is clearly not good enough.

The team is showing it has potential in it's performances but as yet the manager has been unable to find the ingredient that knits it together with results. After over a year in charge we should by now be seeing results on the pitch, maybe a different manager could have this squad challenging for the play offs or in the top half or maybe have us relegated, but it is plainly obvious we are incapable of building unbeaten runs.

Steve Cotterill and Billy Davies have produced results at teams with a lot lesser resources and in fairly similar timescales and have now assembled squads that are currently challenging for play off places. Preston are on a 13 game unbeaten run we are nowhere near capable of mounting such a run.

Craig did a decent job in restructuring the playing squad, but he still had the benefit of a top 5 budget and yet we lie in the bottom six of the table, now this is his team and it has had enough time to gel and should by now be starting to show signs of improvement in results and progression up the table and regardless of circumstance we are massively underachieveing, we should be at least halfway if we are to show genuine improvement and progression as promised, the fans have been paitent and many wrote off the play off's and promotion this season but at the same time we didnt envisage a genuine relegation battle, at the moment I remain unconvinced this manager is capable of moulding this squad of players into side capable of challenging for the play offs next season.

I think the problem with Sheehan yesterday was that he had nothing to do. crewe never really put him under pressure. he ended up lunging in just to get involved i think.

in general i think we played well but with no urgency, we thought we could beat them without breaking a sweat. we dominated the play but too often we were putting our foot on the ball and passing back and forward across the pitch. i know we created chances, but if we had picked up the pace we could have created more clear cut chances, and made it easier for our strikers. Hume took his goal superbly, but even that came from a bit of an up and under ball that took him a bit wide.

Even smith seemed reluctant to take people on at times.

PFKAKTF FOX said:
I was unable to attend the match yesterday, so I cannot comment on the performance but, it appears yet again that we played well enough to win the game. The problem is this was Crewe at home, a game we SHOULD win.

Many felt that the Sheff Utd victory and performance would be the kick start of this season and the spring board for mounting a serious challenge for the play offs in 2006 / 07, instead we have collected 1 point from our subsequent 3 matches. I will be the first to admit that the level of performance is a marked improvement but we still have the same problem that we cannot WIN enough football matches, we have won once since the last international break and that is clearly not good enough.

The team is showing it has potential in it's performances but as yet the manager has been unable to find the ingredient that knits it together with results. After over a year in charge we should by now be seeing results on the pitch, maybe a different manager could have this squad challenging for the play offs or in the top half or maybe have us relegated, but it is plainly obvious we are incapable of building unbeaten runs.

Steve Cotterill and Billy Davies have produced results at teams with a lot lesser resources and in fairly similar timescales and have now assembled squads that are currently challenging for play off places. Preston are on a 13 game unbeaten run we are nowhere near capable of mounting such a run.

Craig did a decent job in restructuring the playing squad, but he still had the benefit of a top 5 budget and yet we lie in the bottom six of the table, now this is his team and it has had enough time to gel and should by now be starting to show signs of improvement in results and progression up the table and regardless of circumstance we are massively underachieveing, we should be at least halfway if we are to show genuine improvement and progression as promised, the fans have been paitent and many wrote off the play off's and promotion this season but at the same time we didnt envisage a genuine relegation battle, at the moment I remain unconvinced this manager is capable of moulding this squad of players into side capable of challenging for the play offs next season.

Spot on. I didnt expect us to be challenging for the Play Offs but on the other hand I wanted us to be competitive and win some football matches. So far we have won a grand total of 5 and tossed off several points in the process.

off the subject, but the williams bashers (myself included) would surely have been happy with that performance yesterday. His pass for the goal was sublime and he made a number of contributions in both boxes - which is what he was signed for i think?? Hume was fantastic as well, for the money we paid for his he is a massive catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669