Crystal Palace 3 - 2 Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how I feel about this yet. The team we put out looked quite weak for me and the bench was very very weak and inexperienced. On the positive side we have several players who can come in and HOPEFULLY make a difference. Moreno, Vitor, Gallagher, Lamey (Nielsen apparently mentioned that he'd signed on radio leicester) and Tunchev (possibly) will hopefully provide some more quality. I feel as though whilst Hobbs and Morrison are excellent prospects, we do really need an experienced head in the centre of defence.

I'd be interested to see if Wellens made a good impression when he came on. Whilst oakley is a good passer of the ball I think Wellens adds some much needed bite in the middle. On this note, how did the formation change when wellens came on? Did oakley play on the right hand side?

Not sure how I feel about this yet. The team we put out looked quite weak for me and the bench was very very weak and inexperienced. On the positive side we have several players who can come in and HOPEFULLY make a difference. Moreno, Vitor, Gallagher, Lamey (Nielsen apparently mentioned that he'd signed on radio leicester) and Tunchev (possibly) will hopefully provide some more quality. I feel as though whilst Hobbs and Morrison are excellent prospects, we do really need an experienced head in the centre of defence.

I'd be interested to see if Wellens made a good impression when he came on. Whilst oakley is a good passer of the ball I think Wellens adds some much needed bite in the middle. On this note, how did the formation change when wellens came on? Did oakley play on the right hand side?

From what Youngy was saying we went more like a 4-3-3 with Wellens/Oakley/King in midfield and DJ/Dyer playing wide of Howard in the middle.

I am basing my reply on not having read further than the quoted sentence.

Fine. However, I am hope someone with a greater attention span who was at the match can address my points:
did it look as though Hobbs and Morrison were unsure of the system?
was the clean sheet in the second half a sign that the defence had sorted itself out?
do you agree with BM that Dyer played well on the right?
was there a problem with Matty's performance and if so what?

By the way Mawsley congratulations. You are not the first to quote me without reading my post but you are the first one cavalier enough to admit it.

From what Youngy was saying we went more like a 4-3-3 with Wellens/Oakley/King in midfield and DJ/Dyer playing wide of Howard in the middle.

Thanks. It will be interesting to see where Moreno fits into the side (presuming that he is good enough). Presumably Lamey will play right back, with morrison and hobbs in the centre. Does Sousa therefore see moreno as a central midfielder and will he partner king? It will be interesting to see how the team pans out in the next few weeks/months.

Not having been today(sob!)and going by txts from people who were there I am thinking that Oakley was playing where he played against Sunderland- in a defensive midfield role in front of the back four.

Not having been today(sob!)and going by txts from people who were there I am thinking that Oakley was playing where he played against Sunderland- in a defensive midfield role in front of the back four.

In which case I really do not see this as his position. In my opinion you need someone who is a great deal more physical in this role. It is interesting to read that Moreno has been described as a 'physical' player.

Well he's done alright there in pre-season.(I know that doesn't mean much)

He was played out of position last season and it showed, with his dodgy knees it makes sense to swap him him with King who played the more defensive midfield role last season, allowing him to push forward more and get in the important positions to create and score goals. That is of course if Mr. P prefers him in midfield to Wellens, which for some reason so far he does.

Weale - 5. At first sight appeared to be at fault for number two. Composed and reasonably safe pair of hands though.
Neilson - 6. Best game in a City shirt, capped by a superb cross for the first.
Morrison - 4. Dropped a horrendous bollock for the first and had a torrid first half alongside Hobbs but eventually recovered well.
Hobbs - 4. Poor game for last season's player of the year. All at sea for Palace's third, misplaced several passes and looked off the pace. Woke up after the break.
Berner - 5. Didn't make the tackle he should have for the third. Improved second half.
N'Guessan - 4. Never got going.
King - 7. As always, did his best Took his header well.
Oakley - 6. Rescued the defence more than once.
Dyer - 7. City's best player, looked dangerous. Needs to take a better corner.
Fryatt - 4. Marked out of the game, didn't have much chance to affect anything. The few chances he had, he lost possession.
Campbell - 6. Took his goal well, looked lively.
Wellens - 5. Didn't get chance to do much but what he did he got right.
Howard - 5. Good ball for Campbell's goal, looked good.

went to the game...

can't disagree with most of these comments.

however i think we still need a proper right back.. Neilson is very very average at best.

Howard made and Wellens made a huge difference, we were far more direct... maybe that's going to be a problem for Mr Sousa and the players he has inherited !

Never seen Hobbs have such a poor game, hope it's one-off or he'll be on the bench soon.

DJ was very good in 2nd half, Fryatt is a striker with little confidecne at the moment... he isn't releasing the ball quick enough.

so.. 2nd half was a proper performance .. it'll be interersting to see what difference the newcomers make !

:038::038::038::038:

Two shocking defensive errors for each of the first two goals, by the looks of the highlights. I'll put it down to nerves, as is it the opening game of the season. I am quite glad we managed to score two, but it is hard to come back from three down.

Let's pull our fingers out for Tuesday.

Like most people have said it was a truly awful first half full of mistakes and poor play overall. Second half was much better and we looked a much better team with Howard and Wellens on, good to see us get two goals back but you can't expect to win the game when you make the mistakes we did. Good performances from DJ and Howard when he was on, Wellens and Dyer both made stuff happen but ultimately we made to many mistakes, poor performances from usually reliable players such as Hobbs and Morro.

We will be fine though, good second half and some good passing when we could get hold of the ball.

Had to turn off RL at half time, had visions of pen 4 at home to Bolton! :mad:

it cant get worst, can it?

Yes it can get much worse that a 3-2 away defeat against a team who were playing in front of what for them was a big crowd and was the first game with there new manager.

With only 45 games to go, I'm worried we don't have much time to turn it around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to turn off RL at half time, had visions of pen 4 at home to Bolton! :mad:

it cant get worst, can it?

Yes it can get much worse that a 3-2 away defeat against a team who were playing in front of what for them was a big crowd and was the first game with there new manager.

With only 45 games to go, I'm worried we don't have much time to turn it around.

Agreed. Though it would be fun to panic and start preparing route planners for League One. The opening day means cock all, the opening months don't even make or break the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest positive for me is that this is nowhere near Sousa's side hopefully with the likes of Crncic, Lamey, Vitor, Moreno, Gallagher and at least 3 more signings we will see a much changed matchday squad.

Positives for me, the second half comeback, two goals scored and a flurry of new players to come in.

Negatives the complete and utter ridiculous over reactions and I cannot believe that I am actually reading forums with Sousa out posts already. FFS we got stuffed at Forest and had bad results under Pearson and even MON was still prone to the odd poor result. I have faith in Sousa and I think he will do a great job in the end but their is still a lot of wheeling and dealing to be done, this present squad is clearly nowhere near good enough or strong enough. That is more a realisation of some of the limitations of the players currently wearing City shirts than Sousa's ability as a manager.

Biggest positive for me is that this is nowhere near Sousa's side hopefully with the likes of Crncic, Lamey, Vitor, Moreno, Gallagher and at least 3 more signings we will see a much changed matchday squad.

Fecking hell AZ, thats nearly a complete new team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669