Speculation Defoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have offered a small home espresso machine with a bag of Lavazza

Last edited:
No idea what the investment would be but concerned about how much he would cost vs return on investment.

Just has one of those "championship Leicester are still paying Defoe 80K a week and he hasn't played for them in a season" feelings to me.

Talented goalscorer however, just what we need.

Am I one of only a few that think this is a bad idea?

I hear he's not a particularly nice guy, no team player and could disrupt the team spirit. And if he still had something to offer why were Tottenham in no hurry to keep him and why has he done nothing in Canada?

Expensive mistake in my view. Sanogo, Kramaric or someone with potential and something to prove would be a much better option

On loan? Worth a try?
This is not the time to experiment. Especially with a player that so far has shown very little quality and struggles seriously with convincing for Arsenal. Yes, of course he could bloom and become a fantastic success, like Kevin Campbell, but I seriously doubt that would happen.

With Defoe we would at least get a player who knows what the PL is about and has the quality needed. If he still has it and would be hungry enough to do it for the bottom team remains to be seen.

This is not the time to experiment. Especially with a player that so far has shown very little quality and struggles seriously with convincing for Arsenal. Yes, of course he could bloom and become a fantastic success, like Kevin Campbell, but I seriously doubt that would happen.

With Defoe we would at least get a player who knows what the PL is about and has the quality needed. If he still has it and would be hungry enough to do it for the bottom team remains to be seen.
I'm not sold on Sonogo specifically, although he did have a decent pre season, has played a bit of CL and Wenger clearly rates him. He's got more proven strikers in front of him.

I just think that kind of player and age is a better fit for the kind of team and club DNA Pearson has created. Risky as well though, I agree, so would have to be a loan.

Kramaric is also a prospect. I'm more interested in him over Defoe personally, but also sounds unlikely.

Looking to the future is great but right now that is not what we need. Right now we need someone who has been there and done it in the Premier League. Experienced Premier League players are MUCH more likely to hit the ground running and contribute sooner rather than later which is what we need.

Being linked with the likes of Schwarzer and Defie fills with me some hope that we might actually have a decent transfer window.

How does bringing in Defoe differ significantly from us bringing in Kevin Philips last season, or Cambiaso?

Were in this mess because we have put our faith in some young players who have no record in the prem and you would rather sign some other young players with no record in the Prem?

About time we stopped pissing around and got some proven quality in, this seems an ideal and rare opportunity in that regard.

You're right. I do agree it's a much better way to go obviously, IF they fit into the club. There are plenty of times experienced expensive mercenaries have wrecked our chances (Taylor era ??)

The players that have shown recently are the most likely to get us out of this mess are also those young players that have not played at this level (Schlupp, Mahrez, Ulloa IMO) and James and Drinkwater have stepped up recently )

I think once someone goes to the MLS this is sign the are admitting to themselves they are past it and/or can no longer perform at the level they want to play at. Examples include Bradley Wright-Philips, Lloyd Sam and Robbie Keane.

I think once someone goes to the MLS this is sign the are admitting to themselves they are past it and/or can no longer perform at the level they want to play at. Examples include Bradley Wright-Philips, Lloyd Sam and Robbie Keane.

Frank Lampard?

Or they want money for doing very little?

The dream to build a squad of smashing lads died when Kelly got hoiked out the door.
Sad, sad day. Oh what might have been. Just think, by now we could have been a mid-table League Two side with smashing lads throughout the team.

Sad, sad day. Oh what might have been. Just think, by now we could have been a mid-table League Two side with smashing lads throughout the team.

And just consider the level of effort we'd now be expounding if we'd carried on redoubling it every week.

And just consider the level of effort we'd now be expounding if we'd carried on redoubling it every week.

That would be a messy sight indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670