Derby home 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good result and a reasonably good performance.

We were excellent until we scored. We then faded and I thought we were in for another performance like Wednesday, However, we suddenly looked sharp again at the very end of the first half. In the second half we were very much the better team and deserved the win.

I was not as impressed by Gallagher and Abe as some people.
There were times when Abe looked fragile and I feel he still needs to adjust to the speed and physicality of the English game.
As usual Gallagher was good one moment and bad the next. His tackles give the impression of someone who wants to get the ball without being hurt. He is lucky to be playing in an age when defenders are such gentle souls rather than the hard men of the 1950s and 1960s. To put it gently Gallagher is not a natural warrior.

Dyer was brilliant as an impact sub. When a fullback is beginning to tire the last thing he wants is to face Dyer's pace.

I thought we were sometimes hesitant in defence. Derby had chances and if I were a Derby fan I would have been annoyed with the sloppy shooting of my attackers.

Finally we did not run out of steam as in some previous matches. Hopefully Sven has sorted that out.

Splendid result but worrying lack of quality with some of the passing from time to time. Some passes were inaccurate or hit too hard. I don't want to be negative but there's still room for improvement. Anyway, well done lads.

I wondered that. Someone said they might've had poppies on thier home shirts midweek, but tbh I think it was a bit odd they didnt do the same today, as I'm sure our club would've wanted them to as part of the day.

Perhaps that's why their fans had no respect for the full 2 minutes silence a general malaise in the Derby camp obviously spread to all concerned

Almost home now, very much enjoyed the game today. Going to enjoy being awake first thing in the morning watching The Football League Show with my daughter. Hopefully we got more coverage than last week.

Perhaps that's why their fans had no respect for the full 2 minutes silence a general malaise in the Derby camp obviously spread to all concerned

It wasn't just their fans. A **** up for both sides

As good as we were today there is still room for improvement which is very promising

Wellens has always been our key man in my opinion and it's not surprising it coincided with our best performance this season so far

Big shout outs to King, Howard, Davies and Gallagher too

Weale - 6 - Had nothing much to do, a couple of good catches. His short distribution didn't always work but his kicking was much better today compared to say, the PNE match.

Naughton - 8 - Pure class, he has a real star quality about him. Attacked space, defended immaculately and won the peno with a brilliant burst into the area to support Lloyd.

Davies - 7 - Tidy, composed, commanding; Luke Moore looked a handfull but he only got the better of Davies and Hobbs once as far as I can remember.

Hobbs - 7 - Same as Davies really, I'm told he had a mare against Sheff U but he was solid today.

Cunningham - 7 - Reminds me of Bruno on a very good day. Aside from intercepting loads of diagonal balls and getting stuck in, he really drives forward to help the winger. I counted 3 or 4 times today when he got beyond their right back to cross from the byline; potential keeper (not like that) along with Davies and Naughton.

Abe - 6/7 - Improving all of the time and whilst he is getting more roguh and tumble with each game, he's still prone to dithering and being caught out. Lovely footballer, just needs some more beef.

Wellens - 8 - Man of the match, I love watching him when he's plays like he did today. He just had the ability to lose their midfielders with one turn and completely open the game up. Terrific run and timing on the pass for King's goal, too. He seems to be developing a nice relationship with Gally, Wellens feeds the ball to him a lot and draws him into the game.

King - 7 - Another steady but busy performance, with yet another goal. He ran 50 yards to recieve Wellens' through ball and still finished beatifully.

Gallagher - 8 - He's hit his best form in a city shirt in my opinion. He works harder, seems to have found an extra yard of pace from somewhere and can deliver some real quality. He's starting to make that left wing role his own as he appears comfortable going on the outside, and you know he can hit quality when he cuts in on his right.

Vassell - 6 - Struggled slightly, often checked his runs or moved the ball backwards rather than into the box. Took his dissallowed goal nicely, impossible to tell whether he was on or not from where I was sitting.

Howard - 7 - Huge performnce from the big man, he took a real kicking today but gave as good as he got as always. Deserved his goal, missed a free header and I think he wasted a chance from a Cunningham cross in the first half although that may have been King.

Dyer - 7/8 - Came on and tore them to shreads, within two minutes he had skated into the area, walked through 4 Sheep and drew a fantastic save from their 'keeper. Had another chance not long after but put it over from close range, he was stretching to be fair. Dyer and Naughton down the right were just terrifyingly quick and it was their play which lead to the peno.

Last edited:
Couldn't fault anyone in a city shirt today, tough game against a tough opponent. Every one stepped up to the challenge.
:038:

.....oh and even the pie was nice

I could! The **** behind me in a city shirt was still moaning about formation, tactics and utter bollocks in general!

and how many pies was it?

Ah yes, quick word on the pies.

A truly outstanding pie today, I knew we would be victorious as soon as I tucked in. Good chicken to mushroom ratio, soft, almost cake-like base and crisp lid that carried the sauce beautifully.

I'm such a sad/fat ****.

Last edited:
Hands up, who loves beating them? I does, I loves beating them.

Wellens and King and Howard, take a booooow sons, take a bow. Different gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669