Derren Brown - Lottery Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I even wanted to do it, so I followed all the suggestions and shit, but it still didn;t work.

Are you surprised?

Not at all. I like Derren Brown, he's a great showman, but I don't care what he says, a lot of it is quite obviously stooges who pretend.

I do think he's gone really downhill the past couple of years though, tryinng to become more mainstream, adding crap jokes about women and gays in his routine and these ridiculous stunts, he never would've done that stuff and added bad jokes in his routine before. I liked him when he was simply anbout the illussion, now he just seems to be trying to hard to impress.

Not at all. I like Derren Brown, he's a great showman, but I don't care what he says, a lot of it is quite obviously stooges who pretend.

I think you're wrong. There are an awful lot of ridiculously impressionable people out there, he doesn't need stooges.

I think you're wrong. There are an awful lot of ridiculously impressionable people out there, he doesn't need stooges.

I disagree. I think that suggestability and conditioning is a load of pop psychology BS and Brown knows this and plays on it as a mask for just being an illusionist. Behavourial Psychology as an approach is very old and is virtually as redundant as Freud these days. For some "tricks" such as picking a certain item, like the 1 in 20 people thing it may be relevant as Brown is there to direct them to one point, but for illogical decisions that give away actual stuff in things like not getting up off your chair or losing the inabilty of muscles or just falling asleep or giving him money etc. they are just actors imo.

Last edited:
I disagree. I think that suggestability and conditioning is a load of pop psychology BS and Brown knows this and plays on it as a mask for just being an illusionist. Behavourial Psychology as an approach is very old and is virtually as redundant as Freud these days. For some "tricks" such as picking a certain item, liek the 1 in 20 people thing it may be relevant as Brown is there to direct them to one point, but things like not getting up off your chair or losing the inabilty of muscles or just falling asleep or giving him money etc. they are just actors imo.

Two words: 'swine' & 'flu'
People are a lot stupider and open to suggestion than you think.

Two words: 'swine' & 'flu'
People are a lot stupider and open to suggestion than you think.

Are you saying that people are getting swine flu just by thinking they'll get it? :102: I really don't see what your point was, how stupid people are says nothing about "suggestibility" or "conditioning" only that people would actually believe it's real and not just a magic trick.

Last edited:

I do think he's gone really downhill the past couple of years though, tryinng to become more mainstream, adding crap jokes about women and gays in his routine and these ridiculous stunts, he never would've done that stuff and added bad jokes in his routine before. I liked him when he was simply anbout the illussion, now he just seems to be trying to hard to impress.

I'm not overly interested in what he does but did watch the lottery one. It was clearly a trick and I believe most people have realised what a load of crap it was.

I am a sceptic but I think this series will just a load of stooges trying to make DB more money for cheap tricks.

Are you saying that people are getting swine flu just by thinking they'll get it?

There are people who will *think* they have swine flu just by thinking they'll get it.

Are you saying that people are getting swine flu just by thinking they'll get it? :102: I really don't see what your point was, how stupid people are says nothing about "suggestibility" or "conditioning" only that people would actually believe it's real and not just a magic trick.

My point was, that the entire civilised world thinks it's about to die because it has been fed to them that a dose of the flu is somehow a killer disease that is going to cause the downfall of society.
When in actual fact, it's just a dose of the flu that will make you feel a bit shit for a few days, same as any other flu.

People are mostly thick, stupid and easily suggestible. Derren Brown does not need stooges.

There are people who will *think* they have swine flu just by thinking they'll get it.

No. They don't get flu by thinking they'll get it, they coincidentally get cold symptoms and think it swine flu, the flu doesn't just happen because they think about it, the actual symptoms are completely coincidental and happen independently. You don't coincidentally just not get off your sofa because some guy has told you have stuck. Cause and effect etc.

My point was, that the entire civilised world thinks it's about to die because it has been fed to them that a dose of the flu is somehow a killer disease that is going to cause the downfall of society.
When in actual fact, it's just a dose of the flu that will make you feel a bit shit for a few days, same as any other flu.

People are mostly thick, stupid and easily suggestible. Derren Brown does not need stooges.

Surely that is just that people will believe anything they are told and take up as their opinion, being led on in your opinion of something has nothing to do with being led on to actually do physical activities particuarly detrimental ones such as giving a street begger £100.

Besides, opinions on swine flu are hardly due to suggestibility they are due to endless media hype. Brown was trying to show "subliminal" or whatever the fancy term he used (PVS?) not in your face liminal repitition.

Last edited:
If you think that I said that they do, you really need to read what I wrote more carefully.

Point taken. Either way, thought of something isn't the same as a physical action, so I think the comparison is invalid.

I meant in terms of mediia, I know what you're getting at, but I just don't agree with that when it comes to physical activities. You tell stupid people to jump off a cliff to certain death and I still believe they wouldn't do it no matter how much you "suggest" or "condition" them too.

Point taken. Either way, thought of something isn't the same as a physical action, so I think the comparison is invalid.

The comparison isn't invalid at all. People are mostly stupid and are ridiculously suggestible. Derren Brown really doesn't need stooges.

But these people will be disabled by the thought that they have flu even though they haven't. Just as a person will fail to stand just because he thinks he can't.

But these people will be disabled by the thought that they have flu even though they haven't. Just as a person will fail to stand just because he thinks he can't.

I bet not one person in the country watching that, not one, actually physically got stuck to their chair and couldn't get up.

Like I said earlier tell people to jump off a cliff I just don't believe anyone would do it no matter how much suggestibility was going on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670