DivX on PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Fox

Hi People,

I got a PS3 for Xmas and yes i finally set it up, well this is because i bought a new house and waited to set it up there.

I have a usb full of movies and want to copy them to my PS3, do DivX movies work on the PS3.??

NB: i am new to this so please explain in the easiest terms :)

You can plug a memory stick into the USB on the PS3 and providing it's supported it should work..

Also you can put them on a wireless connected PC and share them via Windows Media Player "Library Sharing"

So put them on USB and its plug and play from there :D

Do i have to create a new folder called "Video" and put my movies in there so it will be able to play, or should it come up as normal plug in and search for the movie

just sticking it in to the PS3 it won't work there needs to be a certian file structure for the PS3 to see the movies.

Well i sorted it out yesterday,

First i did a system update(its a brand new PS3), then on the USB stick i created new folders with the same matching names as the one on the PS3 hardrive, I.E (Video = Video) and then once i plugged the USB Stick in.....press triangle to Display all and then BANG!!!!! all the movies came up....Oh Happy Days!

well i put a DivX movie on my Usb stick and when i copied it over it came up as "unspported file", any idea what the problem here is??

no it was a DivX movie

Are you sure? Maybe it is a later version of DivX than your PS3? Does the same file work on the hard drive you tried?

Edit: Sorry thought you had it working on something other than the usb stick the other day. Download the DivX encoder and re-encode it.

Last edited:
Well with further reading via my friend google, i tried a Xvid yesterday and it worked, the problem was i have to transfer the file to my HD before playing it, but a Divx file plays via USB, thanks for the support and advice guys,

this thread can be closed now.

PS3 name is : amitgp-is-here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673