Durham v Leicestershire T20

Status
Not open for further replies.
72/4 off 14. Slow going.

Sarwan ran out 3rd innings in a row. He's really not made for this format.

Need Razzaq to go silly in last few overs.

Smith, Sarwan, Eckersley and Thornley are not natural 20/20 players. Unless those batsman signifcantly change their styles Leicester can't go into a match with all those four playing out of the top order. Only one can play at most.

Boyce has upped his strike rate this year.

But consider that the following were not picked and have better 20/20 strike rates sitting in the seconds: Taylor (who swung the last game was dropped or injured) Jefferson, Ali, Mommsen and Dixey, who I rate currently as a better one day player than Eckersley.

Last edited:
Smith, Sarwan, Eckersley and Thornley are not natural 20/20 players. Unless those batsman signifcantly change their styles Leicester can't go into a match with all those four playing out of the top order. Only one can play at most.

Boyce has upped his strike rate this year.

But consider that the following were not picked and have better 20/20 strike rates sitting in the seconds: Taylor (who swung the last game was dropped or injured) Jefferson, Ali, Mommsen and Dixey, who I rate currently as a better one day player than Eckersley.

The coaches have had limited choice.

Jefferson still recovering from injury I assume.
Taylor I assume was injured as he has done well in this campaign and Dagnall even thought he was in the side.
Mommsen has demonstrated very little to suggest he would add to the players there, and would presumably only be picked ahead of Taylor/Thornely in the allrounder position

I haven't seen Eckersley bat but I thought he could hit the ball - I couldn't possibly argue either way but he seems to be the better long term prospect.

The coaches have had limited choice.

Jefferson still recovering from injury I assume.
Taylor I assume was injured as he has done well in this campaign and Dagnall even thought he was in the side.
Mommsen has demonstrated very little to suggest he would add to the players there, and would presumably only be picked ahead of Taylor/Thornely in the allrounder position

I haven't seen Eckersley bat but I thought he could hit the ball - I couldn't possibly argue either way but he seems to be the better long term prospect.

Jefferson scored 74 in the seconds against Derbyshire just over a week ago.

Play both Dixey and Eckersley in limted overs nothing to lose.

I hope Taylor was injured, if not it was a poor decision to leave hime out. On Radio Leicester they think highly of him and say he is a decent fielder, can bat a bit and bowl left arm pace. I hope if he does carry on progressing he gets a better run than previous left arm seamers in the past like Liddle and Gurney, who I always thought were underused particuarly in four day cricket. He sounds like a better fielder and bat than those two whether he is has the he is/has potential to be good/better with the ball I don't know.

Taylor was out injured according to County's website. It seems I spelt Thornely wrong earlier. :icon_roll

Last edited:
One of the worst all time T20 performances.

No one has commented above on the most amazing feature of the game and that was Razzaq scoring 47 runs in practically 20 overs - never mind his bowling figures. What was all that about?

It follows on from the two successive sixes hit off him at the end of the Yorkshire innings from (asking for it) short of a length balls.

On Jefferson - what I've said before, I don't think there is too much chance of him ever being able to maintain fitness for an extended period. Very difficult with his physique. On Taylor - if fit he is one of the better options. I agree with sport2 - hopefully the management has learned the Gurney lesson and will give him decent opportunities.

The general standard of the side is poor beyond poor - they are clearly capable of playing well in patches and in the odd game (Yorkshire at home could and should have been won) and Derbyshire away - obviously good. But they do not have the make up to play well consistently. There is a bunch of players who are Minor Counties standard and would be better getting a proper day job. There is also an issue that the resources are so thin that players who are quite unsuited to the T20 format are having to be picked.

On Eckersley and Dixey - both OK keepers but no better than others we have had as back up keepers. Eckersley is and will make more runs - not sure that hi is ideal for T20 batting. I've seen Dixey on a few occasions and can't remember any signsthat he would be potentially better in that format.

Bad luck for James Sykes and Will Jones today who were going to be given a run out at the abandoned T20 match as we make the most of being out of the competition by giving these players a chance. Henderson and Du Toit were left out of the 13 making it clear what we will be doing with the last few games.

Last edited:
Bad luck for James Sykes and Will Jones today who were going to be given a run out at the abandoned T20 match as we make the most of being out of the competition by giving these players a chance. Henderson and Du Toit were left out of the 13 making it clear what we will be doing with the last few games.
Never likely that a ball would be bowled.

The interesting thing will be selection for the resumption of the Championship games. It should give clues to the make up of the released/ retained lists. You mention Du Toit & Henderson. For entirely different reasons this must be their last seasons. It generally happens with players of his sort of age - i.e. they go one season too far, but Henderson might have a future in coaching at the club- where surely changes have to be made. As for Du Toit - well he has been given far, far too many chances for very poor returns and Boyce similarly (tho' he always seems to do just enough to retain his place and a contract from a benign management).

Never likely that a ball would be bowled.

The interesting thing will be selection for the resumption of the Championship games. It should give clues to the make up of the released/ retained lists. You mention Du Toit & Henderson. For entirely different reasons this must be their last seasons. It generally happens with players of his sort of age - i.e. they go one season too far, but Henderson might have a future in coaching at the club- where surely changes have to be made. As for Du Toit - well he has been given far, far too many chances for very poor returns and Boyce similarly (tho' he always seems to do just enough to retain his place and a contract from a benign management).

I would think Henderson when Naik comes back from injury may move aside more in 4 day cricket. I still think he can play part time in 40 and 20/20s though.

I agree on Du Toit, but you can't compare him to Boyce in the last 2/3 seasons the first has averaged about 15 and the later around 30. Who would you replace Boyce with? - Jefferson is injury prone, Thornely unproven long-term and Ali has a first class average no better and we know the troubles Smith has had this season and the first part of last.

I thought he has actually Boyce has improved in limited overs cricket 40 and especially 20/20 this season being far more aggressive He has Leicestershires highest average, highest score and a close third behind Razzaq and Cobb in sixes.

I agree if Leicestershire are sensible they will try and keep Henderson on in some capacity probably as a coach. He should of played far, far more matches for South Africa.

Last edited:
I would think Henderson when Naik comes back from injury may move aside more in 4 day cricket. I still think he can play part time in 40 and 20/20s though.

I agree on Du Toit, but you can't compare him to Boyce in the last 2/3 seasons the first has averaged about 15 and the later around 30. Who would you replace Boyce with? - Jefferson is injury prone, Thornely unproven long-term and Ali has a first class average no better and we know the troubles Smith has had this season and the first part of last.

I thought he has actually Boyce has improved in limited overs cricket 40 and especially 20/20 this season being far more aggressive He has Leicestershires highest average, highest score and a close third behind Razzaq and Cobb in sixes.

I don't think Boyce is good enough for a nailed down first team spot - which has more or less been the situation. Yes I agree that his batting in T20 has been a bit of a pleasant surprise.

I expect Jefferson to be gone at the end of the season probably retired because of injury. I know quite a bit about the playing career of Kadeer Ali - and unfortunately he seems to have lost all form/ confidence.....much as in his final season with Glos. Basically, I think that money has to be found by losing players to bring in a couple of better players. However, I understand that the situation is financially very difficult and the strategy if it can be called that seems to be to try to keep first class cricket at Grace Road irrespective of results.....I hope but I'm not sure that this will work.
On Henderson - he just looks much older and wearier this season. Maybe he will perk up if the wickets ever become a bit drier.

Surely there must be a minor Counties side who deserve a crack at it more than Leicestershire?

The have some quite high rollers as backers yet they have no financial clout at all, it seems like a total waste of time to me and it's actually more embarrassing to see the scores like the Durham game than if they were not even competing.

Surely there must be a minor Counties side who deserve a crack at it more than Leicestershire?

The have some quite high rollers as backers yet they have no financial clout at all, it seems like a total waste of time to me and it's actually more embarrassing to see the scores like the Durham game than if they were not even competing.

Whilst we on this forum quite rightly criticise the current set up, and Redditch is right that the financial situation means we are struggling to compete, let's not forget we won the CC twice in the late 90s and have won the T20 3 times, twice more than anyone else has. That is more success than most counties and your argument is the kind of one that Mark Nicholas (of Hampshire, perennial underachievers) spout in trying to get rid of the small clubs.

Sport goes in cycles and our 90s championship side was built from the ashes of some poor late 80s and early 90s teams. Our strategy at the time was to snap up players unwanted by other counties like Millns, Wells, Mullally and mix them with home-grown talent - we didn't buy our way to the title then. Unfortunately our recent signings of those unwanted by other counties nor our home-grown talent have made it to the same level.

Whilst we on this forum quite rightly criticise the current set up, and Redditch is right that the financial situation means we are struggling to compete, let's not forget we won the CC twice in the late 90s and have won the T20 3 times, twice more than anyone else has. That is more success than most counties and your argument is the kind of one that Mark Nicholas (of Hampshire, perennial underachievers) spout in trying to get rid of the small clubs.

Sport goes in cycles and our 90s championship side was built from the ashes of some poor late 80s and early 90s teams. Our strategy at the time was to snap up players unwanted by other counties like Millns, Wells, Mullally and mix them with home-grown talent - we didn't buy our way to the title then. Unfortunately our recent signings of those unwanted by other counties nor our home-grown talent have made it to the same level.

I don't want County to bow out, not at all, I'm a supporter of the side and follow them, I just wonder why the financial situation is so terrible when the amount of wealthy backing they actually have is quite large.

Point taken regarding the fairly recent successes, I just find approach they take to most games to be totally ineffective and rarely changed. That is as much down to terrible captaincy and awful selection as it is money.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Ipswich4593
3Leeds Utd4590
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570