DVD to avi or mp4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have Blu-Rays - in fact I no longer use DVDs or CDs either.

Who are you trying to kid eh? That defence didn't work for you in Crown Court and it's not gonna wash here either

You don't have to use the 'dodgy' sites if what you want is on YouTube.

I've just got a copy of something I wanted using the facility at http://keepvid.com/

It really is amazing just how much actually is available on YouTube and it's perfectly good enough quality for a tablet.

Just got 'The Wall' and 'Breaking Glass' - the latter I have been after for ages!

Freemake is good for that too and also a good, free video convertor.

I'm 99% sure that doing that is also illegal so depending on the quality of the video and the speed of your computer, it could well be just as quick to download it from a dodgy site.

Freemake is good for that too....

Looks good, thanks for the heads up.

I'm 99% sure that doing that is also illegal so depending on the quality of the video and the speed of your computer, it could well be just as quick to download it from a dodgy site.

The latter is definitely wrong! I would argue the first as if you look at anything on YouTube surely it is in your cache anyway?

Well it's not but that's for another thread if needed and it's definitely illegal as it's taking copyrighted material without the owner's permission, just a bit harder to track than if downloading via torrents.

Freemake definitely worth a try though as it has a Firefox (and probs others) extension to allow you to convert with one-click and it's also really easy to use with various presets to try until you get what you want.

Well it's not but that's for another thread if needed and it's definitely illegal as it's taking copyrighted material without the owner's permission, just a bit harder to track than if downloading via torrents.

Actually, the reverse is true. The fact that it is up on youtube makes it incredibly easy to track from a technical point of view, both the music itself and the people that are viewing it

Actually, the reverse is true. The fact that it is up on youtube makes it incredibly easy to track from a technical point of view, both the music itself and the people that are viewing it

Ah fair enough, I'm sure both methods are very easily tracable if so wished, I suppose I was more referring to the fact that most ISPs will monitor for torrent traffic and with torrents, you just get a list of IPs of everyone you are down/uploading too.

Either way, both methods are illegal if taking any copyrighted material without the owners consent.

Ah fair enough, I'm sure both methods are very easily tracable if so wished, I suppose I was more referring to the fact that most ISPs will monitor for torrent traffic and with torrents, you just get a list of IPs of everyone you are down/uploading too.

It's relatively easy though to mask your IP and to hide torrent packets, so your ISP would never know that you were downloading any torrent. Also, there's no reliable way to distinguish what the content of a torrent is.

When a video is uploaded to youtube though, the audio is automatically analysed and its signature is matched against a database. Within seconds of it being uploaded, they will know exactly if it is copyrighted material or not and if the particular record company that owns the copyright don't want it to be available it will not go live. It may also be only available in certain regions.

both methods are illegal if taking any copyrighted material without the owners consent.

hmmmmm, strictly speaking, maybe, tis a bit of a grey area though. A lot of copyright holders are perfectly happy with the situation

Oh yeah, there are way's and means to do pretty much anything with a computer, was just trying to keep things simple as it seemed like spion didn't want to download material via torrents etc due to legality but if you're taking the same material using a different method, you would still be breaking the same law.

But in the eyes of the law, taking copyright material without consent is illegal. I'm sure some independant labels/artists are a bit more relaxed about it but the big boys certainly won't be.

Oh yeah, there are way's and means to do pretty much anything with a computer, was just trying to keep things simple as it seemed like spion didn't want to download material via torrents etc due to legality but if you're taking the same material using a different method, you would still be breaking the same law.

But in the eyes of the law, taking copyright material without consent is illegal. I'm sure some independant labels/artists are a bit more relaxed about it but the big boys certainly won't be.

Kevin Smith is pro- and he's pretty big.

Meh, I wouldn't say so as I'm guessing you've never looked here before.

Be that as it may............ I still can't believe that there are full length decent quality (sound and picture, not necessarily content!) movies available on YouTube which I would assume *are* copyrighted and the copyright holders wouldn't want them available in that way.

Examples include Breaking Glass, The Wall, Trainspotting, Gnomeo and Juliet.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669