Engagement Ring Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
£4k?! I'd never dare wear something that valuable day in day out.

Mine was really quite cheap as my o/h was a student at the time and had no money but it's still my favourite piece of jewelry.

is it really supposed to be a month's salary?

I registered to respond to this thread (yeah I'm sad).

By the by - I spent over a month's salary, partly because I earn very little (as we've established from my previous three posts, I am indeed an idiot) and partly because my intended/betrothed is very picky and I knew what she wanted.

Anyway, with regards to insurance, a few pointers. They might sound a bit anal, but as with most insurance related things, they only really become important should there be a loss.

Anwyay, here is my two-penneth worth. Feel free to discard it (obviously).

1) Photograph the ring and the receipt (or photocopy it) and keep the original (receipt) safe. Keep one copy of both for safekeeping with your insurance document and I would advise sending one copy to your insurance company since......

2) It is likely that at this value, you'll be required to itemise it on your schedule. Make sure this is done so there can be no dispute. Usually any piece of jewellery (or similar) under £1,000 is just covered providing the sum insured is great enough but any one piece over £1,000, should be itemised on the schedule.

3) Make sure the cover given is all risks (ie out and about with worldwide territorial limits - or at least UK) - not just covered at home. Its most likely going to be simply 'lost' or sold ; )
so it needs to be covered out and about in case of loss, mugging etc.

4) By the way, I'm suggesting you add it to your household insurance here - never ever buy the bespoke cover from a jeweller.

Feel free to PM me if I've confused you. I have that affect on people. Its the large amount of crap I talk that does it (and overuse of brackets).

Welcome to the forum. I think you woke a few up :icon_lol:

Thankyou Lazzer of the Parva.

It's a pleasure to be here. I'm not really Ian Marshall by the way, but I do like to drink, am overweight and did experiment (successfully I might add) might a mullet in the late 'noughties' (yuck - can't we come up with a better name than that??) so once I've been homeless for a spell, there won't be much difference between Ian and I.

Thankyou Lazzer of the Parva.

It's a pleasure to be here. I'm not really Ian Marshall by the way, but I do like to drink, am overweight and did experiment (successfully I might add) might a mullet in the late 'noughties' (yuck - can't we come up with a better name than that??) so once I've been homeless for a spell, there won't be much difference between Ian and I.

Its ok my names not really Lazzer :icon_wink

I registered to respond to this thread (yeah I'm sad).

By the by - I spent over a month's salary, partly because I earn very little (as we've established from my previous three posts, I am indeed an idiot) and partly because my intended/betrothed is very picky and I knew what she wanted.

Anyway, with regards to insurance, a few pointers. They might sound a bit anal, but as with most insurance related things, they only really become important should there be a loss.

Anwyay, here is my two-penneth worth. Feel free to discard it (obviously).

1) Photograph the ring and the receipt (or photocopy it) and keep the original (receipt) safe. Keep one copy of both for safekeeping with your insurance document and I would advise sending one copy to your insurance company since......

2) It is likely that at this value, you'll be required to itemise it on your schedule. Make sure this is done so there can be no dispute. Usually any piece of jewellery (or similar) under £1,000 is just covered providing the sum insured is great enough but any one piece over £1,000, should be itemised on the schedule.

3) Make sure the cover given is all risks (ie out and about with worldwide territorial limits - or at least UK) - not just covered at home. Its most likely going to be simply 'lost' or sold ; )
so it needs to be covered out and about in case of loss, mugging etc.

4) By the way, I'm suggesting you add it to your household insurance here - never ever buy the bespoke cover from a jeweller.

Feel free to PM me if I've confused you. I have that affect on people. Its the large amount of crap I talk that does it (and overuse of brackets).

Sorry - I've just read that your home insurance won't cover it.

My suggestion is that you ring around first for alternative quotes and assuming someone will cover it (£4k seems a lot but trust me, I've seen bigger amounts written on standard household contracts) and then ring your current insurers and tell them you'll move it if they won't cover it. You're likely problem is that you're dealing with the monkeys (phone idiots) and what you need is an underwriter (better paid idiot, probably in poorly fitting suit). You at least need someone in between, with a bit of authority and a small amount of common sense (although bear in mind this is the insurance industry - think failed bankers and yes, I'm aware that's tautology at its finest).

Which fine UK household insurer might I ask is refusing to insure a £4,000 engagement right?

You had a mullet last year?

Two or three years ago. Way after they were the 'done thing' but before every pikey going had one (or at least round here).

And yeah, it looked awful, but I thought it was cool at the time.

Two or three years ago. Way after they were the 'done thing' but before every pikey going had one (or at least round here).

And yeah, it looked awful, but I thought it was cool at the time.
He said Pikey. Ooh er.

Two or three years ago. Way after they were the 'done thing' but before every pikey going had one

What are you talking about? They were never the 'done thing'.
They have always, and without exception, made whoever has such an abomination on their head look like a complete ****.
Always will.

What are you talking about? They were never the 'done thing'.
They have always, and without exception, made whoever has such an abomination on their head look like a complete ****.
Always will.

Ian Marshall, Pat Sharp and Billy Ray Cyrus say otherwise.

Only two of those are complete ****s and if I wasn't a Leicester, Oldham, Ipswich, Everton or Bolton fan (to hell with Blackpool - he did spend a bit of time there didn't he?) I'd say only three of the thre...

Ah. Ok then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670