Error: NO BOOTABLE DEVICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

NN Fox

Having serious problems with my laptop. Tried turning it on tonight and it came up with the error message NO BOOTABLE DEVICE which I assume means that the hard drive is bolloxed. I tried entering the startup menu to use the recovery disks. I am now in something called InsydeH20 Setup Utility where I tried to run a Hard Disk Self Test but the screen is now frozen and all the usual methods of exiting/turning off are not working. Any suggestions other than running over it with the car and claiming on the insurance would be welcome.

spionfox

Having serious problems with my laptop. Tried turning it on tonight and it came up with the error message NO BOOTABLE DEVICE which I assume means that the hard drive is bolloxed. I tried entering the startup menu to use the recovery disks. I am now in something called InsydeH20 Setup Utility where I tried to run a Hard Disk Self Test but the screen is now frozen and all the usual methods of exiting/turning off are not working. Any suggestions other than running over it with the car and claiming on the insurance would be welcome.

I know this probably isn't the case, but this can happen if you leave a USB stick inserted when booting.

okie fox

Hi, I'm okie fox's son. I am a system engineer. Without looking I would say your HD is fried (which u can replace yourself) but there are a few things you can try. If you have a system disk (windows), u can boot from that and see if it see's a hard drive in the init setup screen. My best guess at this point from the error message is that it is in fact a hardware issue (if it were a virus, it would corrupt the MBR and say 'operating system not found'). I assume at this point u have tried entering "select boot disk" during the start up phaze (this would rule out any bios problems). Speaking of which, u can enter bios before it attempts to load the drive (f2 or f12, some start up key) and see if the bios itself registers a hard drive. If there is valuable data worth the time, I might be able to recover it using forensic hardware/software. Hope this helps. P.s. if u do have to replace the HD I can help you save money by walking you through the process.
Best Luck,
okie fox Jr.

Macky

Gruntled Member
Hi, I'm okie fox's son. I am a system engineer. Without looking I would say your HD is fried (which u can replace yourself) but there are a few things you can try. If you have a system disk (windows), u can boot from that and see if it see's a hard drive in the init setup screen. My best guess at this point from the error message is that it is in fact a hardware issue (if it were a virus, it would corrupt the MBR and say 'operating system not found'). I assume at this point u have tried entering "select boot disk" during the start up phaze (this would rule out any bios problems). Speaking of which, u can enter bios before it attempts to load the drive (f2 or f12, some start up key) and see if the bios itself registers a hard drive. If there is valuable data worth the time, I might be able to recover it using forensic hardware/software. Hope this helps. P.s. if u do have to replace the HD I can help you save money by walking you through the process.
Best Luck,
okie fox Jr.

There won't be a BIOS for him to go into, InsydeH20 is a next-gen replacement.

okie fox

Actually IH20 is bios, just a next gen flat model. It still has a bios (basic input output) setup config.
I double checked this via the manufacturer. According to the manufacture, f2 will enter setup config.

Macky

Gruntled Member
Actually IH20 is bios, just a next gen flat model. It still has a bios (basic input output) setup config.
I double checked this via the manufacturer. According to the manufacture, f2 will enter setup config.

Yes, but it's not the same as the good old fashioned BIOS that we all know and love and it's seemingly what is causing him ire right now:

I am now in something called InsydeH20 Setup Utility where I tried to run a Hard Disk Self Test but the screen is now frozen and all the usual methods of exiting/turning off are not working.

okie fox

I agree with that whole heartedly. I have been looking into a couple of hardware tech databases and generally I am thinking it is a hardware problem. With these problems, I always first check to see if the drive is registering. Either via bios or the utilities on a windows disk. (generally if a windows disk see's the partitions/drivs, I go for a software problem).
Could be a loose connection tho this is not likely on a laptop with the compact structure...
A google of "startup disks and tools" would bring up a burnable bootable dvd loaded with age ole classics like fdisk, partition magic, etc... i think the one i use is called falcon bootable.
that would be my recommendation. use that as a boot up and see what info can be ferreted out.
cheers. and it sure sucks leicester lost. but we played good :)
lost the cup, lets take the leaque!

NN Fox

Thanks for all your help. The frozen screen sorted itself when the battery got low and the computer powered down. I've now restored everything using the recovery disk, just got everything to reinstall now. Luckily I have everything backed up, a discipline learnt when I had a problem some years ago and lost everything. Anybody got any suggestions as to what may have caused this, and no it hasn't been dropped or misused.

Durham Fox

El Dude Brother.
I'd look at updating drivers for the HDD. My brother lost all his data recently due to a Seagate drive losing a partition that was preventable with the latest drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669