Essex CC (h)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

Gurney gets a deserved chance in the Championship after his T20 performances in place of Hoggard whilst Buck continues to recover. McDonald captain.

Essex won toss and will bat.

WI Jefferson, MAG Boyce, GP Smith, JWA Taylor, AB McDonald*, WA White, TJ New+, JKH Naik, CW Henderson, MN Malik, HF Gurney

Last edited:
A day of grim entertainment value made tolerable by nice weather for most of the day. 2 plus runs an over.

The championship seems largely designed to provide a framework for bridging the gap between county and test cricket - thus the 4 day format.

Something needs to be done to liven it up. The 3 day old format at least used to encourage some interesting last day declarations and I think it should be re-considered.

Unfortunately this competition is low in the priorities of the ECB - but something needs to be done.

The championship seems largely designed to provide a framework for bridging the gap between county and test cricket - thus the 4 day format.

Something needs to be done to liven it up. The 3 day old format at least used to encourage some interesting last day declarations and I think it should be re-considered.

I think the success of the English test team in the last 10 years far outweights the benefits of 3 day cricket, although that is coming from a mainly TV viewer of county cricket.

The routine first innings batting collapse now in full flow, from 109-0 and 154-2 to 176-5.

Would it be too much to ask for Tom New to score a decent battling half century or so now?

A 68 run stand gave us some respectability but couldn't make it to stumps. Wayne White out for 41. 244/6

At least we might get a second batting point....

Naik only lasted 5 balls 245-7 at the close.

a lot rest on New if we are to wipe out their lead and someone needs to hang around with him

I think the success of the English test team in the last 10 years far outweights the benefits of 3 day cricket, although that is coming from a mainly TV viewer of county cricket.

The problem may arise that the county championship/ county cricket becomes unsustainable. I appreciate that there are other formats that could provide a pyramid leading to test cricket e.g. grade/ limited number of state matches in Australia but personally I would like to see the re-invigoration of the county game. The prospects are not good. I have been watching Leics for more seasons than I am keen to mention - but I have my doubts whether things will survive the way they are for more than a decade or so (possiblr less if and if one or moreof the smaller counties has to go out of business). A further issue is the effective removal of the top England players from the county game....this limits the interest and takes away the inspiration factor that was there years ago when the Huttons, Comptons, Truemans and so on were all much more accessible to kids forming an interest for the game.

A couple of late wickets but a long day in the field 297-3, 345 ahead. should have a lead of over 350 by close of play, would expect an overnight declaration and big batting display needed tomorrow

Lead of 354 overnight. I'd expect Essex to be confident of rolling us over and having an extra hour of Ten Doeschate tomorrow to make sure the game is out of reach.

All very depressing and familiar, what a shame after the second half of last season.

5 tons and 1 five wicket haul in the championship - says it all.

A couple of late wickets but a long day in the field 297-3, 345 ahead. should have a lead of over 350 by close of play, would expect an overnight declaration and big batting display needed tomorrow

If Essex are ultra cautious they might just bat on for 20 mins tomorrow - after all if they had wanted to be aggresive they could have declared this evening and maybe tried to pick up a wicket in 5 overs. I didn't go yesterday or today - but I asume that there isn't much life in the wicket now and we do have bats who potentially can play long attacking innings. But I rather think we will be beaten by around tea time.

Gurney pulled up late in the day and had to go off, would assume he will bat if required, the radio commentary said it was cramp but then added that they did not attempt the usual leg stretching so it must be something else.

Gurney pulled up late in the day and had to go off, would assume he will bat if required, the radio commentary said it was cramp but then added that they did not attempt the usual leg stretching so it must be something else.

Sounds more like a hamstring problem.

74-5 and for some reason mcDonald hasn't batted.

Simply not good enough.

We'd have been better off playing Josh Cobb and giving him licence to have a bash.

74-5 and for some reason mcDonald hasn't batted.

Simply not good enough.

We'd have been better off playing Josh Cobb and giving him licence to have a bash.

McDonald only bowled 2 overs in their second innings and it was reported that he was unlikely to be fit for this match. I was surprised he played. The drawback with McDonald who is an excellent cricketer is that he is injury prone - i.e. has had shoulder problem in the past.

Pathetic performance.

Just pathetic.

When is Shiv Thakor back from school? How about this Will Jones batsman? They'll presumably all get a chance against Sri Lanka A next week

Pathetic performance.

Just pathetic.

When is Shiv Thakor back from school? How about this Will Jones batsman? They'll presumably all get a chance against Sri Lanka A next week

I'm not sure that performances against Sri Lanka A are going to be much of a guide. There is something very strange going on. Obviously T20 and the four day game are very different - but its difficult to reconcile the extreme variation of being highly competitive in one format and basically uncompetitive in another. I think that it has to come down to issues of motivation and particularly the motivation of the batters to buckle down. The very poor performances in the CB40 also seem to suggest that a number of players only put in a shift as and when they feel like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669